Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite quiz question?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

another good one i heard at a table quiz was 'what's the tallest mountain in each of the four provinces'; very few tables got all four.

Carrauntoohil (Kerry), Mweelrea (Mayo), Lucqnaquilla (Wicklow), Slieve Donard (Down).

And as a follow on ..

Where is Ireland's only Fjord?

Tommi Makinen (Finland) was 4 times World Rally Champion, but what motorised sport was he first a champion in ?

jmayo wrote: »
    Carrauntoohil (Kerry), Mweelrea (Mayo), Lucqnaquilla (Wicklow), Slieve Donard (Down).

And as a follow on ..

Where is Ireland's only Fjord?

Tommi Makinen (Finland) was 4 times World Rally Champion, but what motorised sport was he first a champion in ?

Carlingford Lough?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Carlingford Lough?

Killary Harbour.

Who was the youngest US President? is one I used to like.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Killary Harbour.

Who was the youngest US President? is one I used to like.

Yep Killary harbour which is what Mweelrea is beside.

BTW there were rumours that uboats used to come into the Killary and surface during the war.

Teddy Roosevelt or JFK as youngest president ?

And who was the oldest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Christy Burke :)

I only got it correct due to his daughter's name

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I heard a great story once that both the Russians and the americans had nukes aimed at killary in case either one got there first, because it's able to shelter a full size carrier and is so strategically positioned. I've never heard if there's any actual truth in that though.

I heard a great story once that both the Russians and the americans had nukes aimed at killary in case either one got there first, because it's able to shelter a full size carrier and is so strategically positioned. I've never heard if there's any actual truth in that though.

I think the days of hiding a massive ship in a Fjord went out with the Germans hiding the Tirpitz in a Fjord in Norway.

She was still sunk by aerial attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Why would you use a nuke to take out one boat, and collaterally take out thousands of people in a benign inoffensive neutral country? You'd blow up half of the west of ireland when a well placed ICBM with a conventional warhead would blow a big enough hole in any carrier to either sink it or make it unusable for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

gordon sumner is commonly known as who?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

Whats the only landlocked county in Ireland surrounded by land locked counties?

• Advertisement

Why would you use a nuke to take out one boat, and collaterally take out thousands of people in a benign inoffensive neutral country? You'd blow up half of the west of ireland when a well placed ICBM with a conventional warhead would blow a big enough hole in any carrier to either sink it or make it unusable for a very long time.

once cork got destroyed the rest would be unfortunate collateral damage :pac:

the mighty laois. where i originated

Sting, I only know this because I had a neighbour who had some element of psychosis who legally changed her surname to Sumner as she believed they were married.

4 munster players who did the haka vs NZ in 2008?

Sting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

because if nukes started launching, sure you'd reduce most of the planet to glowing embers twice over; so concerns about the west of ireland would hardly cause them to blink.
    and that's if the story was true, and i really don't think it is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Each side had over 30,000 nukes so likely to be running out of targets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

What are the only two double-landlocked countries in the world?

(Well, there used to be only two but you never know these days...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Q: HIJQLMNO
    A:

WATER, H2O
    Always thought it very clever, probably more of a dingbat

is uzbekistan one of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭interlocked

Lichtenstein and one of the stans,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Which is the only country that has three consecutive letters of the alphabet in it, spelt in order.

(When it's name is spelt in English)

EDIT: Seems there's two of them.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Which is the only country that has three consecutive letters of the alphabet in it, spelt in order.

(When it's name is spelt in English)

Tuvalu?

Tuvalu?

There's a second one!

There's a second one!

Maybe Tuvalu is an island, or only exists in my imagination :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

There's a second one!

Afghanistan

Of the 27 countries in the EU, where does Ireland rank in terms of...

A. Population
    B. Area

Don't look it up on Wiki, try to work it out first, the population one is easier than the area one I think.

Population - 2nd? behind Luxembourg perhaps

Area - guess 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

Only country in the world without an official capital?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

Don't look it up on Wiki, try to work it out first

Is that not the rule in general? ;)

Advertisement