Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainbow Cup 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭irelandrover

What's changed for benneton? Won none in the pro 14 and looking like they'll go 4 from 4 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What's changed for benneton? Won none in the pro 14 and looking like they'll go 4 from 4 here.

Benetton butchered wins over Connacht and Munster.

Benetton butchered wins over Connacht and Munster.

Even so, that's 2 from 16, and now they are 4 from 4

Even so, that's 2 from 16, and now they are 4 from 4

I'm sure there were more, those two come to mind because I watched them. Benetton had 7 LBPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,817 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Balls bloody Connacht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Benetton's to lose at the moment so on 18 points with a game left. Munster, Ospreys, Glasgow can reach a maximum of 20. Leinster 19. Least it makes last few games bit more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Good reffing from Busby in Dragons Vs Glasgow

Good reffing from Busby in Dragons Vs Glasgow

Seemed to go against the guidelines. Clear separation between arm and body and direct the the neck.

Seemed to go against the guidelines. Clear separation between arm and body and direct the the neck.

Was chest rather than neck, otherwise would have had to have been a yellow at least.

Was chest rather than neck, otherwise would have had to have been a yellow at least.

I thought it was to the neck. But if he said chest then fair enough

• Advertisement

I thought it was to the neck. But if he said chest then fair enough

Yeah, I thought it was a sober, clear judgement. Would have been easy to go for the yellow, but that would have been a bit melodramatic for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

If Glasgow and Munster both get TBP wins how does it get decided then

*if Ospreys beat Benetton

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    If Glasgow and Munster both get TBP wins how does it get decided then

*if Ospreys beat Benetton

Points difference. Munster are still in a very strong position. I'd imagine they're the favourites to top the group at the moment. I don't see Treviso getting a win in Wales and, if Munster get a relatively likely BP win against Zebre, a LBP wouldn't be enough for them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Took Coetzee 13 mins to open his bulls account

sydthebeat wrote: »

He's yesterday's news.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,817 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ospreys losing tonight is not good news for Munster as they will have **** all interest against Benetton next weekend now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ospreys losing tonight is not good news for Munster as they will have **** all interest against Benetton next weekend now

That or they won't want to lose twice in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I saw a bit of the Bulls v Stormers.
    The Bulls maul is really strong. Some great offloading out of the tackle too.

They are going to bring some serious competition next year.

Vermuelen went off with an ankle injury.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sydthebeat wrote: »

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

awec wrote: »
    Who?

he'll come back eventually, to the same mixed emotions of the munster zebo fan

It's the Sharks or the Bulls in the final then. Looking at the fixtures, it's been mostly competitive in the SA section.

TMO in the zebre game.
    "Both captains have now lost their challenge, thank god"
    I don't think refs like this captains challenge

The Ulster game illustrated the fundamental flaw with the Captain's Challenge.

Both Ulster and Edinburgh used theirs in the run up to Edinburgh's last try. Edinburgh's challenge, about a tackle in the air from the kick-off, was passed over because they'd scored a try.

If a penalty had been awarded for the high tackle on Lowry, meaning that the try had to be chalked off, he'd have had to look at the tackle on the Edinburgh player. If it had been a tackle in the air, what would he have done? Two penalties, one against each team. The second wouldn't have happened if the first had been awarded initially, but it wasn't, so it did happen.

Whitehouse side-stepped the whole issue by not awarding a penalty for the high tackle on Lowry, meaning Edinburgh didn't care about theirs.

A more cynical man than myself might posit that that's why he was so keen to let the Edinburgh player off scott-free, to avoid that whole car crash.

The Ulster game illustrated the fundamental flaw with the Captain's Challenge.

Both Ulster and Edinburgh used theirs in the run up to Edinburgh's last try. Edinburgh's challenge, about a tackle in the air from the kick-off, was passed over because they'd scored a try.

If a penalty had been awarded for the high tackle on Lowry, meaning that the try had to be chalked off, he'd have had to look at the tackle on the Edinburgh player. If it had been a tackle in the air, what would he have done? Two penalties, one against each team. The second wouldn't have happened if the first had been awarded initially, but it wasn't, so it did happen.

Whitehouse side-stepped the whole issue by not awarding a penalty for the high tackle on Lowry, meaning Edinburgh didn't care about theirs.

A more cynical man than myself might posit that that's why he was so keen to let the Edinburgh player off scott-free, to avoid that whole car crash.

Which ever act of foul play was deemed more serious would take precedence

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Which ever act of foul play was deemed more serious would take precedence

Cheers. It was clear Whitehouse himself had no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Did I see a remote control toy car delivering the kicking tee to the field in Bulls v Stormers? :D

Erasmus has confirmed no Springbok players shall feature in the Rainbow Cup final.

Looks like we can expect more of the same in how the SA teams treat the ProXX tournament. For them to skip the final of their opening involvement does not bode well and comoletely undermines the game.

If the Sharks manage to get to the final, they'll be down 9 players. The Bulls will be without 4 (5 if they add Coetzee which they've suggested the might).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Blut2

I'd hope that this is just an exceptional year with the final so close to the Lions tour. And that in future years, particularly if there are Champions Cup qualifying positions to play for, it won't happen.

But it isn't a great precedent to set alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Irish teams have frequently not put out first choice players, including in inter-county derbies, in the Pro__ over the years.

Since the Rainbow Cup's inception, people have been calling it a joke of a tournament and saying that it doesn't matter. Some fans have criticised the use of front liners by their teams in the competition, especially now that Porter will miss out on Lions because of injury. Many have pointed to the fact that Treviso are top and got to play Zebre twice as an undermining factor in how relevant the tournament is.

So should we be that surprised that some of the SH feel the same and are prioritising having players fit for Lions encounters?

(I, as a Munster fan will feel the tournament is the most valuable to win if we top the league and go on to lift a trophy!)

🤪

Advertisement