Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainbow Cup 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Have they started the intention to start the new league proper in Aug/ Sep?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Have they started the intention to start the new league proper in Aug/ Sep?

October I think.

The Lions ends at the start of August.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Planning advanced for a North/South final on June 19th at a European venue.
    https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/05/14/planning-at-advanced-stages-for-north-v-south-final/#post

PRO14 Rugby have confirmed today that the Guinness PRO14 Rainbow Cup is set to culminate in an historic ‘North v South’ Final on June 19 so that the dual tournaments operating in Europe and South Africa will tie together to produce one winner.

Planning is now at an advanced stage and all written approvals are expected imminently for the game to take place at a European venue.

The Northern representative in the final shall be the team who finishes first in the table among the 12 teams in the Guinness PRO14 Rainbow Cup while the Southern representative shall be the side who ranks first in the Rainbow Cup SA competition.

Munster currently occupy top spot after two rounds with games to come against Connacht this evening, Cardiff Blues and Zebre.

Further details on the ‘North v South’ Guinness Rainbow Cup Final will be provided next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,817 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus this tournament really thrown around the place

Great incentive for teams now and I wonder are teams who played B teams in the earlier rounds a bit annoyed now with the new final (was originally 1st vs 2nd in the final)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Great incentive for teams now and I wonder are teams who played B teams in the earlier rounds a bit annoyed now with the new final (was originally 1st vs 2nd in the final)

There's no incentive now, I'd have thought? The NH table is done after two rounds.

Essentially, the semi final was the opening weekend in the Leinster vs Munster game. Munster are almost certainly going to top the pool even if Leinster were to win with a BP in their remaining 3 games.

The other provinces should go all out in terms of development in the final two rounds to try and provide game time to positions in need. Obviously they're not going to send out second string sides with Irish/Lions matches on the horizon but a healthy dose of fringe/academy players mixed with more experienced players would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Really exciting to see the competition joined up with the northern winner getting to play one of the South African teams.

Hard one to call since we really have no idea how the provinces stack up against the better SH teams, the final should be must watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭PMC83

Downlinz wrote: »
    Really exciting to see the competition joined up with the northern winner getting to play one of the South African teams.

Hard one to call since we really have no idea how the provinces stack up against the better SH teams, the final should be must watch!

Yeah agreed, the whole things been an absolute mess but look forward to the final

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Any chance Munster can get a trophy if we're best of the NH?! :| Best chance at a trophy with Leinster dropping points early on (no guarantee still, I know) and then an SA team stands in the way (thankfully no home advantage for them with the weather / altitude conditions)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So the NH table is done. Munster won't lose today. And they sure as hell won't lose at home to Cardiff or away to Zebre. Unless Benetton can beat them on the TBP front, first place is Munsters to lose. In effect, the NH competition was done and dusted after the second round. Bungle Cup indeed...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

molloyjh wrote: »
    So the NH table is done. Munster won't lose today. And they sure as hell won't lose at home to Cardiff or away to Zebre. Unless Benetton can beat them on the TBP front, first place is Munsters to lose. In effect, the NH competition was done and dusted after the second round. Bungle Cup indeed...

It does look that way alright, but the one thing I’ll say is that Munster Cardiff matches, for whatever reason, invariably end up as high-scoring / fairly open games. Munster definitely favourites to win, but I don’t think an upset would be completely unthinkable either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

aloooof wrote: »
    It does look that way alright, but the one thing I’ll say is that Munster Cardiff matches, for whatever reason, invariably end up as high-scoring / fairly open games. Munster definitely favourites to win, but I don’t think an upset would be completely unthinkable either.

Cardiff have absolutely nothing to play for though. At least in the league there's European qualification to play for etc. Other than maybe Benetton, no other team has anything to play for this week or the next 2. That's not something that will interest supporters.

As I said before though, I wouldn't give the organisers grief over it. Its an impossible situation with no good alternative. At least this brings in some real revenue so it isnt a complete bust.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Cardiff have absolutely nothing to play for though. At least in the league there's European qualification to play for etc. Other than maybe Benetton, no other team has anything to play for this week or the next 2. That's not something that will interest supporters.

As I said before though, I wouldn't give the organisers grief over it. Its an impossible situation with no good alternative. At least this brings in some real revenue so it isnt a complete bust.

That’s a fair point, could end up looking like some of the fixtures in round 6 of the Champions Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

This didn't age well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Would be fitting that after losing every single pro14 game that Benetton get to the Rainbow cup final

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Would be fitting that after losing every single pro14 game that Benetton get to the Rainbow cup final

United colours of Benneton

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Hopefully Bennett get to the final as I've enjoyed watching them the last few seasons but also it shows what a joke the format it is. Can we put an end to having to play all the teams from your own country home and away. Makes for a lopsided league. We can survive without seeing leinster B playing munster in Thomand.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/pro-tournament-rainbow-cup/table

After three rounds, Benetton are out ahead with 14 points.
    Munster, Ospreys and Glasgow have 10 points each
    Leinster, The Blues and Connacht have 9 points each
    Realistically the rest are out of contention

Benetton host Connacht in round 4 and a Connacht win would open it up for the chasing pack.
    Then it will come down to who can win their remaining games with TBPs

Benetton: Rd4 Connacht(H), Rd6 Ospreys(A)

Munster: Rd4 Blues(H), Rd6 Zebre(A)

Ospreys: Rd5 Connacht(A), Rd6 Benetton(A)

Glasgow: Rd4 Dragons(A), Rd5 Leinster(H)

Leinster: Rd5 Glasgow(A), Rd6 Dragons(H)

Blues: Rd4 Munster(A), Rd5 Zebre(H)

Connacht: Rd4 Benetton(A), Rd5 Ospreys(H)

I don’t think its too far fetched to suggest that all the Irish sides could pick up maximum points from the last two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Benetton could easily win their last 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Why are there rd 6 fixtures listed? Are there not just 5 rds?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Not everyone plays in each round

• Advertisement

Benetton could easily win their last 2 games.

Ya absolutely, hard to judge where Benetton are post the regular season when two of their three games have been against Zebre.

Playing Connacht will be a different proposition

There are 6 rounds, but each team only has 5 games.

Each team gets a bye in a round where they were originally due to play a SA team

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

guapos wrote: »
    Hopefully Bennett get to the final as I've enjoyed watching them the last few seasons but also it shows what a joke the format it is. Can we put an end to having to play all the teams from your own country home and away. Makes for a lopsided league. We can survive without seeing leinster B playing munster in Thomand.

We might be able to survive, but those derbies are bringing in the biggest gates of the season (in non-Covid times).

Obviously the Rainbow Cup scheduling formula has been very favourable to Treviso in terms of giving them two games against the weakest team in the league but these three rounds of derbies have been quite enjoyable - the players (except maybe Leinster in round 1) don’t seem to have got the “this is a nothing competition” message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

guapos wrote: »
    Hopefully Bennett get to the final as I've enjoyed watching them the last few seasons but also it shows what a joke the format it is. Can we put an end to having to play all the teams from your own country home and away. Makes for a lopsided league. We can survive without seeing leinster B playing munster in Thomond.

Unless you find ways of replacing that income then they will stay.
    Interpros get best crowds at games so reducing those games isnt good for anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

icdg wrote: »
    We might be able to survive, but those derbies are bringing in the biggest gates of the season (in non-Covid times).

Obviously the Rainbow Cup scheduling formula has been very favourable to Treviso in terms of giving them two games against the weakest team in the league but these three rounds of derbies have been quite enjoyable - the players (except maybe Leinster in round 1) don’t seem to have got the “this is a nothing competition” message.

The Dragons vs Scarlets game looked more like a pre-season friendly than a truly competitive game. The Irish derbies may have been more competitive but there was still a feeling of staleness and same old same old - too many repeat fixtures in the same season.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,041 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lions just beat the bulls.

There won't be any easy games versus the boks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Makes sense seeing as a SA team will be playing. SA on red lists for UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Eod100 wrote: »

4 cases according to reports, all asymptomatic

Advertisement