Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

23c or 25c road tyres

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Interesting subject I know people say less psi in the 25s is best for comfort and speed, but anytime a pro is asked what psi they are using for the race it always seems to be high

Yeah, but anytime a pro race is in town, the worst of the roads are resurfaced, don't often have to put up with the day to day you normally see!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Only down to a point. When you go below the sweet spot the performance drops off alarmingly.

The trouble is, most riders don't know what the tyre-specific sweet spot is.

Yes agreed. Also, too low and you risk pinch flats when you get the tube being compressed between rim and tyre. I run gp5000 at 80-85 which seems to work fine for me.

ipodrocker wrote: »
    my main aim is more comfort vs speed, and roads around where I go for spins seems to like giving me flats! so thought switch from 23c to either 25c or 28x for comfort.

I have a set of brand new Continental gp5000s 25’s that I’ve fitted to a wheelset but the wheels haven’t left the house yet. Since fitting them I’ve seen that there’s clearance in frame for 28s. If you want, you could get some 28s for your bike to see if they fit. If they don’t fit I’d be willing to swap my 25s for the 28s. They’d have to be same brand and make of tyre for the swap though as I’m not interested in other tyres. The GP5000’s would need to match your own preferences etc so no worries if it doesn't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Interesting subject I know people say less psi in the 25s is best for comfort and speed, but anytime a pro is asked what psi they are using for the race it always seems to be high
    km991148 wrote: »
    Yeah, but anytime a pro race is in town, the worst of the roads are resurfaced, don't often have to put up with the day to day you normally see!
    ....and comfort wouldn't be a priority for a pro racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

my main aim is more comfort vs speed, and roads around where I go for spins seems to like giving me flats! so thought switch from 23c to either 25c or 28x for comfort.

If you're prone to getting punctures just make sure the tyres are at the correct pressure and maybe look into something with a bit of puncture resistance like the Gatorskins, Durano Plus, Michelin Pro4 Endurance etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    I have a set of brand new Continental gp5000s 25’s that I’ve fitted to a wheelset but the wheels haven’t left the house yet. Since fitting them I’ve seen that there’s clearance in frame for 28s. If you want, you could get some 28s for your bike to see if they fit. If they don’t fit I’d be willing to swap my 25s for the 28s. They’d have to be same brand and make of tyre for the swap though as I’m not interested in other tyres. The GP5000’s would need to match your own preferences etc so no worries if it doesn't suit.

thanks for suggestion haven't decided on new tyres yet, I have old gp4000s which are 23c and want new set more strong!

DaveyDave wrote: »
    If you're prone to getting punctures just make sure the tyres are at the correct pressure and maybe look into something with a bit of puncture resistance like the Gatorskins, Durano Plus, Michelin Pro4 Endurance etc.

I've been looking at conti 4 seasons or gatorskins just undecided so far plus finding stock!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've been looking at conti 4 seasons or gatorskins just undecided so far plus finding stock!!!

Don’t get gatorskins. Unless they’ve changed the compound they’re **** in the wet.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

4 seasons are a fantastic year round tyre in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

think you will find nearly all will rate 4 seasons much higher than gators

conti 4 seasons it is! hopefully get stock off one of sites soon!!

Advertisement