Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

23c or 25c road tyres

Options
  • 24-03-2021 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

General question much difference between 23c & 25c (apart from the size) wondering on which size to buy for my road bike.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Comfort...the bigger they tyre the less bumps you will feel

There is also arguments over speeds been different which depends on bike, your weight, weather and loads other factors

If not racing then go 25

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Little bit of extra comfort in the 25's. (Have you enough clearance for them?)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd go for 25c. More comfortable, puncture resistant and apparently faster too (old thinking was the narrower, the less rolling resistance but it seems the sweet spot is actually between 25c and 28c).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I found zero difference in comfort between 23s and 25s. I prefer 25s for the grip in winter.

My summer bike will always have 23s. Unless I get wheels that are more aero with 25s.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Stark wrote: »
    I'd go for 25c. More comfortable, puncture resistant and apparently faster too (old thinking was the narrower, the less rolling resistance but it seems the sweet spot is actually between 25c and 28c).

“Faster” depends on the rim they’re fitted to.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

28 if they fit. i moved to 28 from 25 this year and they don't appear to be slower, but do give a bit more comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

On bad roads it is generally accepted bigger tyres are faster and of course more comfortable So really depends where you cycle most. Me I train on big tyres and use narrower for events

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve gone to 28, feels more stable and haven’t noticed any difference in speed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

sounds like 25c is the way to go, not sure if 28c would fit, would the wheelset tell me this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I was always 23 @ 115+ psi until last bike came with 25s and I keep them around 90-100psi.

I've just bought another pair of 25s (going to swap them downstream, i.e slightly used 25s on older bike and new 25s on newest).

I notice no difference in speed* but comfort is better.

*Arguably 25s or 28s at lower pressures can (somewhat counterintuitively) be faster, especially on uneven road surfaces.

• Advertisement

racing is not a factor for me, mainly for fitness and general spins.

ipodrocker wrote: »
    sounds like 25c is the way to go, not sure if 28c would fit, would the wheelset tell me this?

I guess the concern is more likely to be around frame clearance.

The wheelset will more than likely take them, but no hard and fast rule as some tyres are 'looser' or tighter at the same widths.

What bike/ wheels are we talking about?

km991148 wrote: »
    I guess the concern is more likely to be around frame clearance.

The wheelset will more than likely take them, but no hard and fast rule as some tyres are 'looser' or tighter at the same widths.

What bike/ wheels are we talking about?

I have Ghost Race Lector 7000 with Easton 700 wheelset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

racing is not a factor for me, mainly for fitness and general spins.

sounds like your question should have been 25 or 28 (if allowed)

The heavier you are then more likely recommend 28

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I'd go for the biggest you have clearance for, even if that's 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I normally go with 28 at 85psi. For longer spins I find the wider tyre with lower inflation is much more comfortable and so I’m less tired towards the end.

Tyre pressure level is probably the biggest determinant of overall comfort. Bigger tyres can generally be run at lower pressure than skinnier tyres.

The impact on overall speed is complex. Ratio of tyre width to rim width affects aerodynamics. Different tyre pressures may be faster over different road conditions.

Basically if you’re not racing I would recommend to go with the largest tyre that fits. Normally it’s the frame and brake clearance rather than the wheel that impacts this (wheels usually same size). 25 fits on lots of bikes, 28 on many but not always. If you know someone with 28 tyres on, try fitting their wheels to your frame and you’ll get a good idea if will work (no need to switch tyres).

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    I normally go with 28 at 85psi. For longer spins I find the wider tyre with lower inflation is much more comfortable and so I’m less tired towards the end.

Tyre pressure level is probably the biggest determinant of overall comfort. Bigger tyres can generally be run at lower pressure than skinnier tyres.

The impact on overall speed is complex. Ratio of tyre width to rim width affects aerodynamics. Different tyre pressures may be faster over different road conditions.

Basically if you’re not racing I would recommend to go with the largest tyre that fits. Normally it’s the frame and brake clearance rather than the wheel that impacts this (wheels usually same size). 25 fits on lots of bikes, 28 on many but not always. If you know someone with 28 tyres on, try fitting their wheels to your frame and you’ll get a good idea if will work (no need to switch tyres).

Nice recommendation, so 28 if they fit otherwise 25.

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

For what it's worth I'm currently using these tyres on the road. They're 38 or 40 wide! They're so comfortable, grippy and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

switched from 23s to 25s a couple of years ago, and to 28s this year (the 28s only just fit)
    big difference in comfort and stability, no difference in speed over bumpy Wicklow roads (I'm not that concerned about speed anyway).
    Definitely moving onto a gravel bike next.

this is clearance on front, I think 28c will work ?

• Advertisement

I don’t think so

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    I don’t think so
    :confused: There's loads of room there.

:confused: There's loads of room there.

I don’t think so, maybe it’s confirmation bias because I believe 28s on a road bike look horrendous

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I ran 23c for a few years because they were lighter. I went to 25c due to size availability. I honestly couldn't say I noticed any difference in comfort. I usually run high pressures though and I like road feel.

I hear 25 is faster, not sure how true that is. As someone who doesn't race I wouldn't benefit from whatever gains one has over the other. Just get yourself a quality tyre that rolls nice!

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I ran 23c for a few years because they were lighter. I went to 25c due to size availability. I honestly couldn't say I noticed any difference in comfort. I usually run high pressures though and I like road feel.

I hear 25 is faster, not sure how true that is. As someone who doesn't race I wouldn't benefit from whatever gains one has over the other. Just get yourself a quality tyre that rolls nice!

I think for wider to be 'faster' you also (slightly counterintuitively) need to drop the pressure a bit.

Something to do with how the tyre bounces along a rough road. On a perfectly smooth surface, I think high pressure 23 is still best.

Off topic but do you realise your brake caliper is 'open'?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

It’s looks to me like there’s probably clearance for 28s as well but it’s hard to be definite. Don’t forget to check clearance on rear at brake but also at seat tube and seat stays.

I think higher pressures feel faster as there’s more road feel and you’ve less cushioning for all the bumps and potholes etc. This is why many people think higher pressure is faster. Lower pressures have lower rolling resistance so are generally faster with the added bonus of the extra comfort keeping you fresher for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Only down to a point. When you go below the sweet spot the performance drops off alarmingly.

The trouble is, most riders don't know what the tyre-specific sweet spot is.

my main aim is more comfort vs speed, and roads around where I go for spins seems to like giving me flats! so thought switch from 23c to either 25c or 28x for comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Interesting subject I know people say less psi in the 25s is best for comfort and speed, but anytime a pro is asked what psi they are using for the race it always seems to be high

Advertisement