Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the internet be turned off for a week?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

No, I am not. But if people would rather wait until September I’d allow that.
    You are welcome to turn off your own personal Internet access for a week if you wish. But then how would you continue to debate your points here? :pac: Anecdotally speaking. It may be fun to play old films developed from such fictional authors as Jules Verne, where advancing technology has adverse, catastrophic consequences for humanity. It may also be fun to slip on a toga, sandals, and carry a sign: "Beware Technology: Doom is Near!" Personally, I will take a post-modern philosophical neo-Darwin position. I will attempt to adapt and evolve as best I can. Sometimes be an early adapter. Other times sit back and watch others take the first beta steps. But I will not walk to the nearby Pacific beach and take advantage of the sand, while the world of technology passes me by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Fathom wrote: »
    You are welcome to turn off your own personal Internet access for a week if you wish. But then how would you continue to debate your points here? :pac:

Anecdotally speaking. It may be fun to play old films developed from such fictional authors as Jules Verne, where advancing technology has adverse, catastrophic consequences for humanity. It may also be fun to slip on a toga, sandals, and carry a sign: "Beware Technology: Doom is Near!"

Personally, I will take a post-modern philosophical neo-Darwin position. I will attempt to adapt and evolve as best I can. Sometimes be an early adapter. Other times sit back and watch others take the first beta steps. But I will not walk to the nearby Pacific beach and take advantage of the sand, while the world of technology passes me by.

But it’s not being turned off for ever, just a week. It will be a fantastic opportunity to recalibrate. Plus it’d allow us to break our over reliance and make us more adaptable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

But it’s not being turned off for ever, just a week. It will be a fantastic opportunity to recalibrate. Plus it’d allow us to break our over reliance and make us more adaptable.
    According to whom? Any scholarly research to back this up? Or is this anecdotal and solely based upon your opinion that there would be positive health effects?
    Even if the Government just did it from say Good Friday to late on Easter Sunday night wouldn't it give us a chance for contemplation. Should they do it?
    That's all we need is more government regulation. Once again, you can self-regulate without the government butting in for a few days, or a week without troubling the rest of us. Your government talk reminds me of the oldies but goodies song by Five Man Electrical Band: "Sign, sign Everywhere a sign Blockin' out the scenery Breakin' my mind Do this, don't do that Can't you read the sign?" And it's not just for a week; rather, there are consequences for actions that go beyond such time frames. This is bigger than a Butterfly Effect. Such actions sometimes become precedents, that others cite when they try to justify erecting longer lasting signs.

Fathom wrote: »
    According to whom? Any scholarly research to back this up? Or is this anecdotal and solely based upon your opinion that there would be positive health effects?

That's all we need is more government regulation. Once again, you can self-regulate without the government butting in for a few days, or a week without troubling the rest of us. Your government talk reminds me of the oldies but goodies song by Five Man Electrical Band:

"Sign, sign
    Everywhere a sign
    Blockin' out the scenery
    Breakin' my mind
    Do this, don't do that
    Can't you read the sign?"

And it's not just for a week; rather, there are consequences for actions that go beyond such time frames. This is bigger than a Butterfly Effect. Such actions sometimes become precedents, that others cite when they try to justify erecting longer lasting signs.

Yeah, read several papers about the impact of the internet on anxiety and depression, sure it’s fierce! Absolutely right, government intervention is exactly what’s required!

Yeah, read several papers about the impact of the internet on anxiety and depression, sure it’s fierce! Absolutely right, government intervention is exactly what’s required!

Or just being a basic level adult and showing some self control

• Advertisement

The Eoghan Harris situation shows again how dangerous the web is and the need for it to be turned off from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

What are fat planks like me supposed to do for fanny in the mean time.

I think my head would burst if I didn't have some **** material.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,037 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You turn off the internet for a week...

1) not an aircraft in the sky, the aviation industry collapses..

Can’t file flight plans
    Can’t update aircraft databases
    Can’t log maintenance issues
    ATC can’t track aircraft reliably.

2) healthcare is in trouble, people die

Doctor in cappagh wants to send a brain scan to a professor in the Mater, needs a second opinion etc, e-mail, it’s there in seconds, otherwise he has to call a courier, wait for the courier, courier has to drive there, park, find the professor... patient could be dead. Best case scenario... what would have taken 5/minutes will take well over an hour.

3) Gardai, fire, ambulance services communications, ePCR etc.... not available... the emergency services at a standstill, more people die.

4) digital tv, no internet, no sky.

5) connectivity with friends, family, gone...

Turn off the internet, yeah, sound idea, really, in reality, no, thanks. :)

The Eoghan Harris situation shows again how dangerous the web is and the need for it to be turned off from time to time.

It shows how trolls should be dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Strumms wrote: »
    You turn off the internet for a week...

1) not an aircraft in the sky, the aviation industry collapses..

Can’t file flight plans
    Can’t update aircraft databases
    Can’t log maintenance issues
    ATC can’t track aircraft reliably.

2) healthcare is in trouble, people die

Doctor in cappagh wants to send a brain scan to a professor in the Mater, needs a second opinion etc, e-mail, it’s there in seconds, otherwise he has to call a courier, wait for the courier, courier has to drive there, park, find the professor... patient could be dead. Best case scenario... what would have taken 5/minutes will take well over an hour.

3) Gardai, fire, ambulance services communications, ePCR etc.... not available... the emergency services at a standstill, more people die.

4) digital tv, no internet, no sky.

5) connectivity with friends, family, gone...

Turn off the internet, yeah, sound idea, really, in reality, no, thanks. :)

You do know we could do all this before tinternet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,244 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

begbysback wrote: »

No. 4 was a bit tricky, to be fair.

(Ok, there was Sky before the internet - and it was much better!)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

This would give everyone a break and could provide us with a huge mental health boost. Also it would give people a chance to realise they were gone too into twitter and facebook etc. Even if the Government just did it from say Good Friday to late on Easter Sunday night wouldn't it give us a chance for contemplation. Should they do it?

people should take responsibility and turn off their network router at home and turn off the mobile phone for a few days.

You could knock off the www maybe, but too many devices and services rely on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Was booking a holiday home last summer, we agreed everything and then was told

"oh by the way, there's one other thing you should know...... the house has no wifi. Will that be a problem?"

I was like

"actually, I would pay extra for 'no wifi'".

It was genuinely a pleasure to be a way from wifi for two weeks.

Likewise - I lost the phone last year, took a month to replace it. I definitely noticed good habits emerging. Reading more, housekeeping more and so on.

The thing is- its all well and good for punters to say "you have the choice to turn it off if you want".

But phones (and specifically my issue would be phones, not internet) are so fuppin addictive. Its very difficult. They are compulsive and ever present.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Was booking a holiday home last summer, we agreed everything and then was told

"oh by the way, there's one other thing you should know...... the house has no wifi. Will that be a problem?"

I was like

"actually, I would pay extra for 'no wifi'".

It was genuinely a pleasure to be a way from wifi for two weeks.

Likewise - I lost the phone last year, took a month to replace it. I definitely noticed good habits emerging. Reading more, housekeeping more and so on.

The thing is- its all well and good for punters to say "you have the choice to turn it off if you want".

But phones (and specifically my issue would be phones, not internet) are so fuppin addictive. Its very difficult. They are compulsive and ever present.

people are addicted, and like any addiction, the temptation is always there. its quite possible to chill and not bother with the web, the internet of a phone with a bit of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,037 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We are living in the NOW.. not before the internet, what we could do before in many cases some of which I’ve mentioned, we cannot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Bring back travelling by horse and cart . Who needs cars and aeroplanes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Yes - before the internet, ringing a family member in a different country cost £1 for a few mins; now it costs €0.000001 an hour or something

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

I don't know if the OP is just trolling but if not, then maybe the question is being phrased incorrectly and instead be, should social media and news sites be turned off for a week?

You are also ignoring the benefits of what the internet provides:

Video chat, texting, email, GPS, IPTV, ebooks, podcasts, online banking, contactless payment, working from home, IoT, online learning, online research facilities to name but a few. Not to mention how it has helped with the advances in medical technology.

The Government will really though, they make you drive on the left hand side of the road, take your earnings to give to poor people and make everyone send their kids to school. You'll do what you're told.

And as for your above point, you have a free choice to drive on the other side of the road if you want to, it's just there are serious consequences if you do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Be gas if GPS was turned off for a week. All those poor souls who'd have to learn to navigate again. GPS should be able to stay going without the internet though

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Be gas if GPS was turned off for a week. All those poor souls who'd have to learn to navigate again. GPS should be able to stay going without the internet though

Fair point about the GPS, I guess it only really makes sense for map updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

our infrastructure depends on the web, flight plans,booking,freight, transport ,
    gardai, medical emergency services,
    its not just for tv ,tik tok,or netflix.facebook, social media.
    The economy relys on the internet,turning it off is NOT an option,
    no more than turning off electrical power networks.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Bring back travelling by horse and cart . Who needs cars and aeroplanes

The way things are going with climate change this will probably happen at some stage

Fair point about the GPS, I guess it only really makes sense for map updates.

It would be worth turning off d'Internet to see if these kind of things do function as expected. I'm sure there are many infrastructural things that used to depend on direct radio links and leased lines but at some point during the past 20 years they were surreptitious ly swapped out for an Eircom broadband line with a HuaWei modem or else a 4G dongle in order to free up some budget for the Christmas party.

I'd say turn it off for an hour first to give people a chance to prepare. Then turn it off for a week about 6 months later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I said it earlier on the thread and I'll say it again.
    The government cannot "turn off the Internet".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

If you can leave the immersion on for a week without anyone telling you, I think it’s very possible to switch off this internet yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you can leave the immersion on for a week without anyone telling you, I think it’s very possible to switch off this internet yoke.

Leave the immersion on for a week? Never mind taking out the internet that'll be like a second Chernobyl.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

No

why?

Lemon need not squeeze other lemon to survive.

We dont need to destroy something to better ourselves. To be honest we would only be taking our dysfunction elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Absolute not and it would cause huge economic harm. A very large % of the Irish economy, access to all sorts of services, e-learning, personal and business communication many people’s most basic and necessary communication services, financial transactions, in many cases telephone, television, infrastructure of all sorts all operates using the internet to some degree.

It would also do enormous damage to our ability to be a modern economy or location for multinationals.

You might as well be suggesting turning off the electricity as modernity is stressful.

It’s not possible and even if it were it would be just profoundly damaging.

Ya, turn it off

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I said it earlier on the thread and I'll say it again.
    The government cannot "turn off the Internet".
    In other countries the local govt has turned off many encrypted protocols and was then able to see lots and lots of stuff in the clear.

Advertisement