Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the internet be turned off for a week?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

s8n wrote: »
    Any consideration for those who earn a living off internet based companies ?

or

The fact we get the majority of our entertainment & news from online sources ?

I'm yes to both and still say get it to fk and turn it off..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

How would the Irish government turn off satellite internet access provided by companies outside of the State?

Tell them they have to, would only be fair to give them a bit of notice though. I think some of ye are only trying to make up problems for the sake of being awkward now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Tell them they have to, would only be fair to give them a bit of notice though. I think some of ye are only trying to make up problems for the sake of being awkward now.

How could the government tell them, if they've already turned off the rest of the internet? There'd be no gov.ie email. They couldn't even look them up to get their address to send them a letter in the post. Or use Google Translate to write the letter in their language. You haven't thought this though at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I'm not being awkward, I'm just asking about my own situation. When I go into the office and open Google, it gives me information based on the company's head office, as that is where the internet is accessed. They have private network connections between locations, and they all get internet access from that location.

It's not possible to turn off satellite internet without shutting down the entire service for all countries. Not happening

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    It's not possible to turn off satellite internet without shutting down the entire service for all countries. Not happening

It’s not nearly as hard do as it seems, genuinely it isn’t.

I'm not being awkward, I'm just asking about my own situation. When I go into the office and open Google, it gives me information based on the company's head office, as that is where the internet is accessed. They have private network connections between locations, and they all get internet access from that location.

Your company is using a VPN, so while the ultimate connection to websites is done though your head office's servers (and to those sites, it looks like you're connecting from that country), you're still using Irish internet infrastructure to connect to that VPN.

If the Irish government managed to turn off the internet in Ireland, that VPN wouldn't work as it would not be able to communicate with the servers in head office in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Was this a serious question? How are we to work and make telephone calls (Most phone lines are VOIP). Some of us have to work over the Bank Holiday, you know!

Was this a serious question? How are we to work and make telephone calls (Most phone lines are VOIP). Some of us have to work over the Bank Holiday, you know!

I think the OP's plan would be that you'd do a bit of contemplation instead of working and making phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

They’ll need to roll with it and adapt. Farmers can’t make the rain stop falling, these businesses won’t be allowed keep the internet on all day and night indefinitely if the Government decide to turn it off.

What are you on?

How can the government decide to "turn off" the internet? It's not like you flip a switch and the internet is "turned off". It's a global mesh of interconnected computers.

And you talk about businesses needing to "roll with it". What kind of inane statement is that. Outside of the SWIFT network for money transactions, nobody will be able to make online bank payments, companies can't place or fulfill orders, datacenters can't be backed up, they can't even be monitored. As an engineer I could stay here all day boring the tits off you with what couldn't be done if the internet was "switched off" and then the ensuing mess once it is "turned back on".

• Advertisement

What are you on?

How can the government decide to "turn off" the internet? It's not like you flip a switch and the internet is "turned off". It's a global mesh of interconnected computers.

And you talk about businesses needing to "roll with it". What kind of inane statement is that. Outside of the SWIFT network for money transactions, nobody will be able to make online bank payments, companies can't place or fulfill orders, datacenters can't be backed up, they can't even be monitored. As an engineer I could stay here all day boring the tits off you with what couldn't be done if the internet was "switched off" and then the ensuing mess once it is "turned back on".

It’s actually not that different from flicking a switch given a nation state’s power, strange as it may seem.
    Yeah, it will cause disruption, there’s no doubt, but you wouldn’t tell an alcoholic to keep drinking in case he’d find it the first few days off the drink hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,037 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s actually not that different from flicking a switch given a nation state’s power, strange as it may seem.
    Yeah, it will cause disruption, there’s no doubt, but you wouldn’t tell an alcoholic to keep drinking in case he’d find it the first few days off the drink hard.

Alcoholism is a disease.

The internet by and large is a positive social, business, commerce, electronic mail platform that’s also used for governance, banking, security, transportation, for delivery of healthcare etc... so cause disruption ? It would cause deaths most likely...

That’s for starters... Sunny Disposition needs to get some Sunny Delight if they think that switching off the internet is a good thing...the vitamin D and C work wonders.. I’m told..

Strumms wrote: »
    Alcoholism is a disease.

The internet by and large is a positive social, business, commerce, electronic mail platform that’s also used for governance, banking, security, transportation, for delivery of healthcare etc... so cause disruption ? It would cause deaths most likely...

That’s for starters... Sunny Disposition needs to get some Sunny Delight if they think that switching off the internet is a good thing...the vitamin D and C work wonders.. I’m told..

You’re just being abusive, not engaging in serious debate.

It’s not nearly as hard do as it seems, genuinely it isn’t.

How do you think we are able to watch satellite TV channels that aren't intended for us?

Your company is using a VPN, so while the ultimate connection to websites is done though your head office's servers (and to those sites, it looks like you're connecting from that country), you're still using Irish internet infrastructure to connect to that VPN.

If the Irish government managed to turn off the internet in Ireland, that VPN wouldn't work as it would not be able to communicate with the servers in head office in the first place.

Someone in IT once told me the company had their own cables that the data went through. Of that person was correct, it'd be unaffected by an internet switch off.

A better analogy would be trying to turn off the electric grid because some alcoholics are using electric stills to make their own alcohol, and to hell with all the hospitals, schools, businesses arc that need power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Can OP not just turn his own internet off and leave the rest of us alone?

Someone in IT once told me the company had their own cables that the data went through. Of that person was correct, it'd be unaffected by an internet switch off.

Think about it. Your company has not strung its own optic fibre cables from your office in Ireland, under the ground or via poles to the coast, then across the sea bed, to the coast of some other country, then back up into land and either under the ground or via poles all the way to the HQ office, just for its own use. Even if your company was Google, they have not done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Can OP not just turn his own internet off and leave the rest of us alone?

Then they wouldn't be able to start a thread about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Then they wouldn't be able to start a thread about it

how is that a bad thing? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,447 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How would the Irish government turn off satellite internet access provided by companies outside of the State?

They'd send up the government jet and shoot down the sattelites.

murpho999 wrote: »
    They'd send up the government jet and shoot down the sattelites.

Willie O’Dea with his pistol, hanging out the window, blasting away at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,771 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No. Just take a break if you need to but don't expect whole internet to just shut down lol. That's crazy talk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

This would give everyone a break and could provide us with a huge mental health boost.
    Unsure that a "huge mental health boost" would follow. What would happen to all the employees who are now working from home online as a COVID social distancing adaptation? Or small businesses that shifted from store front to online because of COVID, who may be just getting by online? Or schools that shifted instruction from in-person to online distance learning for students? Or sites like boards that rely on online access to survive? To what extent would this proposed 1-week cut off drive all these folks to a "huge mental health" crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This would give everyone a break and could provide us with a huge mental health boost. Also it would give people a chance to realise they were gone too into twitter and facebook etc. Even if the Government just did it from say Good Friday to late on Easter Sunday night wouldn't it give us a chance for contemplation. Should they do it?

Those of us who knew what life was like before the internet would be grand, they younger generation would probably lose their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭limnam

If there was a turn off the utter cesspit section of the internet button it might do a bit of good alright.

Although, god knows what the lunatics on twitter would do if they had some spare time, probably best left where we know where they're and what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Apart from business and online learning many people use the web for tv streaming ,youtube, netflix.
    podcasts, online radio.
    the only countrys that switch off the web are russia,pakistan,middle eastern countrys, india, turkey, eg when they wish to stop people organising in order to protest against government curruption and the lack of human rights
    and free speech .if you are using social media too much simple disable the apps on your phone.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-50819905

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

I think the OP's plan would be that you'd do a bit of contemplation instead of working and making phone calls.

Very nice. But contemplation ain't paying my bills!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

This would give everyone a break and could provide us with a huge mental health boost. Also it would give people a chance to realise they were gone too into twitter and facebook etc. Even if the Government just did it from say Good Friday to late on Easter Sunday night wouldn't it give us a chance for contemplation. Should they do it?

During a lockdown, are you daft?

• Advertisement

BeerWolf wrote: »
    During a lockdown, are you daft?

No, I am not. But if people would rather wait until September I’d allow that.

Advertisement