Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown purchases you enjoy or regret

Options
  • 21-03-2021 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

My latest one is an aqua bag, I recently set mine up in the garden and I’m finding it a great workout and good fun too
    I picked up the 21” bag which comes in at 90kg when full and I’ve built up to half an hour sessions now

Before that it was battle ropes the newfound and heavy and while it doesn’t seem heavy at the start it’s a killer after a couple of minutes

Regrets :- vinyl covered kettlebells they are far too big and awkward the 20kg is a silly size

The internet isn’t for everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

OmegaGene wrote: »
    My latest one is an aqua bag, I recently set mine up in the garden and I’m finding it a great workout and good fun too
    I picked up the 21” bag which comes in at 90kg when full and I’ve built up to half an hour sessions now

Before that it was battle ropes the newfound and heavy and while it doesn’t seem heavy at the start it’s a killer after a couple of minutes

Regrets :- vinyl covered kettlebells they are far too big and awkward the 20kg is a silly size

Holy Jesus. Aer Lingus checked baggage..... in a kettlebell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I bought a garmin forerunner watch at the start of lockdown.I had run for 20 plus years without a GPS watch so I felt like it was an extravagant purchase. However it’s been the best money I’ve spent in a long time. It’s really improved my training, helped me understand my pace and made walking and running more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Abcryan123

Got a kindle at the start of the first lockdown and read 50 books by the end of the year, versus just 5 ish the year before.
    Also a guided meditation subscription which I’d recommend to everyone at this time. The last mention is a bench and dumbbells.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I have a pretty big home gym.

Things I have never regretted buying (I'm just picking things out at random nearly):-

- High quality barbell (Rogue Ohio Power bar), rack and plates, goes without saying..
    - Good quality adjustable bench that is not selectorised, it just slots from setting to setting. Not sure if I'm explaining that well, but basically I am glad I got a bench that doesn't require me to pull out a little spring-loaded knob which I then need to line with with a hole to change the angle of the bench.
    - Thick rubber matting for the floor from Strength Shop. Literally the bedrock of our home gym. I shudder to think what condition the cement floor would be in without it.
    - Really enjoying my 40kg kettbell lately, I was a bit iffy about whether I would actually use it, but it has turned out to be really good for 50-100 swings to get some posterior chain and hamstring work in at the end of a lower body day. I also use it for goblet squats in the 15-20 rep range but I absolutely hate doing them. I can jerk it overhead but to be honest a bit heavy for me, for overhead work I prefer either barbell press or seated DB press.

Things I did regret and have gotten rid of as a consequence:-

- Pullum sports adjustable bench. It was a heavy duty piece of kit but had two fatal flaws... Firstly, a massive gap between the seat and the main part of the bench, which is a peeve of mine, I got a more 'zero gap' style adjustable bench to replace it. Secondly, it had no wheels. Epic fail for such a heavy piece of kit.
    - Prowler made by a metal fabricator in Tallaght. I just rarely ended up using it.
    - Sled with strongman harness etc. Same story, thought I would use it but didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Didn't buy it myself, but I got a FitBit for my bday from gf. Not something I ever would have bought, but it has made me more aware of my daily step count and sleep which is a positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

Purchases I really enjoy:

*Barefoot shoes (I've been wearing them for years but needed a new pair, Merrell Vapor Glove 4)
    *Apple TV (the physical box, two of them)
    *Electrically adjustable sit/stand desk
    *A proper office chair (though I rarely sit in it)
    *A load of 40mm puzzle mats (for yoga, BJJ, exercise etc.)
    *Wooden gymnastics rings
    *12kg Macebell (so, so good for shoulder and grip strength)
    *Various books
    *Weber Smokey Joe BBQ (portable, easy to use, great product)
    *Weber chimney starter (for lighting charcoal quickly, an essential purchase if you've a charcoal BBQ)

Purchases I don't use much:

*32Kg kettlebell (I just don't use my kettlebells that much any more, I can still press it and swing it but I don't feel inclined to use it very often as I've other exercise I prefer to do)

Purchases I regret:

*Nothing, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Iguarantee wrote: »
    Purchases I really enjoy:

*Barefoot shoes (I've been wearing them for years but needed a new pair, Merrell Vapor Glove 4)
    *Apple TV (the physical box, two of them)
    *Electrically adjustable sit/stand desk
    *A proper office chair (though I rarely sit in it)
    *A load of 40mm puzzle mats (for yoga, BJJ, exercise etc.)
    *Wooden gymnastics rings
    *12kg Macebell (so, so good for shoulder and grip strength)
    *Various books
    *Weber Smokey Joe BBQ (portable, easy to use, great product)
    *Weber chimney starter (for lighting charcoal quickly, an essential purchase if you've a charcoal BBQ)

*32Kg kettlebell (I just don't use my kettlebells that much any more, I can still press it and swing it but I don't feel inclined to use it very often as I've other exercise I prefer to do)

Purchases I regret:

*Nothing, yet.

What adjustable standing desk did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I'm actually the opposite of what the thread is

I bought nothing and after 1 year I regret it. big style.

Thing is I'll always go back to the gym when open so anything major would be wasted . but if i'd known it would be a year I'd have splashed out

bought 3 books for training in past year . good results with them all but "base strength" is for when back at gym.
    All pretty reasonable prices too. like never gymless was 1e.:eek:

never gymless - rosstraining.com
    base strength - alexander bromley
    body amour MMA - phil daru

BTW
    highly recommend alexander bromleys channel on YT if youtube is your thing. If it isn't the best channel for lifting on youtube...PM me and I'll apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Got a Garmin didn't really love it. Switched to Samsung Smart Watch it's been great. I'm not a runner, but it's been great for tracking walking and other activities. But I mostly got it for notifications not fitness.

Nvidia Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I haven't bought anything big because (a) I'd never get away with taking over a room for lifting and the littlest Veedersane, who's 2, would maim himself (he tried to pick up a rather large piece of chopped tree - about 15" diameter and 30" long - in the park yesterday) and (b) the back garden has been turned into a playground for lockdown. And I'd probably prefer training in the gym anyway.

So all I've bought has been to increase the selection of bands, push up handles, metal handles to use with the bands, a 25kg sandbag, 30kg dumbbells and a 45kg slam ball.

Only thing I haven't had much use out of is the slam ball - because of the hip - but I will get back to that in time if I can reverse some of the soft tissue hip issues.

Tl;dr I regret nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Hex bar was a good panic buy, using it landmine style mostly so can do upper body too

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I had done heaps of cardio (30 Half Marsthons) over the years. But I had never attempted weights and I had gone badly out of shape over the last 3 months so 6 weeks ago I signed up to an 8 week training and nutrition plan and invested in a set of 1kg to 12.5kg dumbbells.

No regrets so far! In fact looking at a renewal for another 8 weeks and a few more heavier weights and an adjustable bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I have a pretty big home gym.

Things I have never regretted buying (I'm just picking things out at random nearly):-

- High quality barbell (Rogue Ohio Power bar), rack and plates, goes without saying..
    - Good quality adjustable bench that is not selectorised, it just slots from setting to setting. Not sure if I'm explaining that well, but basically I am glad I got a bench that doesn't require me to pull out a little spring-loaded knob which I then need to line with with a hole to change the angle of the bench.
    - Thick rubber matting for the floor from Strength Shop. Literally the bedrock of our home gym. I shudder to think what condition the cement floor would be in without it.
    - Really enjoying my 40kg kettbell lately, I was a bit iffy about whether I would actually use it, but it has turned out to be really good for 50-100 swings to get some posterior chain and hamstring work in at the end of a lower body day. I also use it for goblet squats in the 15-20 rep range but I absolutely hate doing them. I can jerk it overhead but to be honest a bit heavy for me, for overhead work I prefer either barbell press or seated DB press.

Things I did regret and have gotten rid of as a consequence:-

- Pullum sports adjustable bench. It was a heavy duty piece of kit but had two fatal flaws... Firstly, a massive gap between the seat and the main part of the bench, which is a peeve of mine, I got a more 'zero gap' style adjustable bench to replace it. Secondly, it had no wheels. Epic fail for such a heavy piece of kit.
    - Prowler made by a metal fabricator in Tallaght. I just rarely ended up using it.
    - Sled with strongman harness etc. Same story, thought I would use it but didn't.

Hi Black Sheep, just wondering could you point me in the direction of that adjustable bench. The one you are happy with. Sounds like exactly what I need.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Hi Black Sheep, just wondering could you point me in the direction of that adjustable bench. The one you are happy with. Sounds like exactly what I need.

I have this one from Strength Shop:-
    https://www.strengthshop.ie/riot-utility-bench-2.0.html

I would also have gotten this:-

https://www.blkboxfitness.com/products/blk-box-utility-lite-adjustable-weight-bench

If you look about you’ll find similar designs elsewhere too at different price points, some higher, some lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Cannot say enough good things about Resistance Bands / Assisted Pull Up Bands. I've ordered 3-4 of these over the past year (snapped 2 / left 2 behind in parks).

If the gyms reopened tomorrow, i'd probably be showing up with my trusty band in hand.

James Grage and Mountain Dog on Youtube are great for suggestions on how to use them and workouts

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coresteady-Resistance-Assisted-Exercise-CrossFit/dp/B01LX0CM0S/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=pull+up+bands&qid=1616406063&s=fitness&sr=1-9

BKWDR wrote: »
    What adjustable standing desk did you get?

I got it from Winroy.

Arrived and it was too big for the room, they took it away, cut it down to size and dropped it back on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

the littlest Veedersane, who's 2, would maim himself (he tried to pick up a rather large piece of chopped tree - about 15" diameter and 30" long - in the park yesterday)

Sounds like a future strongman practising his log clean and press.

I've bought a set of bands from EliteFTS two red and two orange. Probably had more use out of them across the first lockdown but they've definitely helped a lot.

Also got two sandbags from Cerberus strength. They're up to around 55kg and 75kg really happy to have them from the pov of variety. Also doing carries is really fun and makes me feel athletic.

Also recently got an ab roller which is handy as I can't skip core work as easily now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

metal handles to use with the bands,

What's the feedback on these?

Would you mind sharing a link where you bought them from please?

Esse85 wrote: »
    What's the feedback on these?

Would you mind sharing a link where you bought them from please?

I got them on Gymless (Adverts):

https://www.adverts.ie/other/loop-resistance-band-handles-pair/8434991

I find them really useful....more so with the heavier bands. Especially things like rows, shrugs, OHP in particular. It's not that you can't just use your hand on the band but I just find it makes it a little less awkward...especially with the heavier bands that are a bit wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Thank you both.

I have just ordered a set.

I have the 64 and 83mm bands and found them difficult to grip due to the thickness, particularly the orange, but this solution looks ideal.

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »
    Thank you both.

I have just ordered a set.

I have the 64 and 83mm bands and found them difficult to grip due to the thickness, particularly the orange, but this solution looks ideal.

Yeah the orange is pain to grip and especially if you're trying to do something where you're maximising resistance like RDLs.

I used them for shrugs as well when I was combining the purple and orange bands cos it was just awkward to grip properly and not be a distraction.

Also recently got an ab roller which is handy as I can't skip core work as easily now.

Ooh, forgot about my ab wheel. No surprise...forgetting it is something I try to do regularly. Gonna start graduate to standing rollouts today/tomorrow. Hilarity should ensue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Great yokes...makes ab exercises tolerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

My best purchase was getting a rack, barbell, set of plates and a bench just before the first 'lockdown' a year ago...just had a feeling that this sh1tshow was going to drag on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I haven't bought anything big because (a) I'd never get away with taking over a room for lifting and the littlest Veedersane, who's 2, would maim himself (he tried to pick up a rather large piece of chopped tree - about 15" diameter and 30" long - in the park yesterday) and (b) the back garden has been turned into a playground for lockdown.

https://www.eightieskids.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/8-37.jpg

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Not gonna lie...it was a proud moment that he even tried without being prompted

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dodzy wrote: »
    Holy Jesus. Aer Lingus checked baggage..... in a kettlebell.
    20kg it not a particularly heavy kettlebell. You'd them right to to american airlines size (32kg). And occasionally heavier (business class)
    Iguarantee wrote: »
    12kg Macebell (so, so good for shoulder and grip strength)
    How long is the mace? or which one is it?
    I tried out a few recently and two of the same weight but different handle lengths and diameters made a crazy difference. Around 6-8kg. Not tried any think like a 12 yet.

*32Kg kettlebell (I just don't use my kettlebells that much any more, I can still
    Funnily enough that was my intended lockdown ourchase. But was neer back in stock unless crazy money

Mellor wrote: »
    How long is the mace? or which one is it?
    I tried out a few recently and two of the same weight but different handle lengths and diameters made a crazy difference. Around 6-8kg. Not tried any think like a 12 yet.

Funnily enough that was my intended lockdown ourchase. But was neer back in stock unless crazy money

The mace has a 95cm handle length and it has 40mm diameter, knurled in parts. I only wanted one mace and the others are too light. The 12kg is perfect, though I’d like a 15kg now having used the 12kg for >2 years.

The grip on the 12kg is a workout in and of itself. It’s a great tool for BJJ, it pretty much resolved all shoulder issues I’d had from 11 years of BJJ, including bulletproofing my shoulders after tearing my rotator cuff muscles from a particularly damaging kimura.

The 32kg kettlebell is good, I mean you just have to use it correctly or it’ll hurt you. I don’t use it much as I’ve been training with a friend at a local outdoor body weight gym so we haven’t used many actual weights as such, more Olympic Rings, running etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The one I was looking was a bit longer. Maybe 1050mm. 40mm handle. Know what you mean about it being tough, really wears down the grip. But I think far bar work is great for jiu jitsu, especially nogi.

Shoulder rehab is actually exacty why I want it. Not an specific injury, but mobility has been fading over the last few years. An attempt to save it.
    I have KBs up to 24kg. But I decided to not bother with the 32, as the gym reopened and they are 28,32,36 there when I need them.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    The one I was looking was a bit longer. Maybe 1050mm. 40mm handle. Know what you mean about it being tough, really wears down the grip. But I think far bar work is great for jiu jitsu, especially nogi.

Shoulder rehab is actually exacty why I want it. Not an specific injury, but mobility has been fading over the last few years. An attempt to save it.
    I have KBs up to 24kg. But I decided to not bother with the 32, as the gym reopened and they are 28,32,36 there when I need them.

The 95cm is just the handle, the actually length overall is probably 115cm (1150mm).

An alternative is to go to your local hardware shop and buy a sledge, they are usually between 5 and 10kg and work well. I was lucky that I got a mace bell when nobody wanted one (everyone wanted kettlebells). Now they’re fairly hard to get, same with the 32kg kettlebell, nobody wants 32kg or more, it’s all 8,12,16, 20 that are out of stock.

I’m lucky that I’ve 8, 16, 24 and 32kg kettlebells and the mace, not to mention a heap of extra training stuff that I use.

I just want to go back to BJJ. Hard to go from training 5/6 days a week to zero days per 6 months :p

Haven’t trained since the first week of October (2020) specifically due to the lockdown. Our club is rigid with the regulations. Plenty of guerrilla sessions going on at other clubs but not worth the exposure.

Not sure where you are based but I live near the sea and I’ve been going to a nearby rocky beach and just hauling big rocks from point A to point B and back. Much tougher on the forearms than I’d expected, pretty much my only weight training these days. Big, geometrically awkward rocks :)

Advertisement