Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner bike

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Man, that absolutely sucks for lads at the end of their IBT cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Yeah, its an absolute balls. Unfortunately, a huge amount of people quite simply haven't been able to do much driving over the past 13 months, and now their IBT's are coming to end of term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Seems a fairly blinkered view on the whole process, just extend them and the permits, I don't see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

zubair wrote: »
    Seems a fairly blinkered view on the whole process, just extend them and the permits, I don't see the problem.

in fairness that's what Eric and others have been asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Exact scenario my friend faces.

Test was cancelled pre Christmas, IBT is up next week, can’t renew it by doing Mod 5.

No mans land.

Wouldn’t be counting on Eamon Ryan, he’d encourage you to remove the motor..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

zubair wrote: »

Mate you, I and the blind dog down the road can see that's the obvious solution, but our government don't give a $hite.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Johann. wrote: »
    Exact scenario my friend faces.

Test was cancelled pre Christmas, IBT is up next week, can’t renew it by doing Mod 5.

No mans land.

Wouldn’t be counting on Eamon Ryan, he’d encourage you to remove the motor..

Lad on one of the fb groups ibt ran out the week of his test the new portal was in place.
    Poor heur got a call the day before they were cancelling his test because his ibt was out.
    Absaloute shower of w@nkers

Anything to be said for Suzuki SV650?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Anything to be said for Suzuki SV650?

I have one so I'm biased. Great bike to learn on. My first bike was a Svartpilen 401 but I moved on to the SV650 and passed my test on it and no plans to change again anytime soon. Should have gone straight onto the SV650 as my first bike tbh. I bought new - they seem to be pricey enough second-hand, like everything else at the moment.

dmigsy wrote: »
    I have one so I'm biased. Great bike to learn on. My first bike was a Svartpilen 401 but I moved on to the SV650 and passed my test on it and no plans to change again anytime soon. Should have gone straight onto the SV650 as my first bike tbh. I bought new - they seem to be pricey enough second-hand, like everything else at the moment.
    Yeah, they're pricey enough tbh, but when I'm looking at Bandits, Fazers etc anything from 00-05 seems to be about 3k or thereabouts.

Some nice SV650's for 4/5.

What about Vstrom? dl650?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Yeah, they're pricey enough tbh, but when I'm looking at Bandits, Fazers etc anything from 00-05 seems to be about 3k or thereabouts.

Some nice SV650's for 4/5.

What about Vstrom? dl650?

DL650 isn't an A category bike but is A2 if restricted. I've owned an SV650, I'd take a bandit or a fazer and save the 1k/ 2k if it was me. Its not worth more than either of those bikes, it's more expensive because its probably the most popular starter bike, and the only reason this is the case is because its a twin so it responds well to a restrictor, which you wont be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Any update on the new bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CHESSMUTANT

I'll be selling a FZS600 Fazer before April is out if you're interested.
    Took a bit longer due to a Brexit delay on shipping a bike cover. Ad is up now.

eoin.d wrote: »
    Hey everyone im looking at getting a licence for a motorbike. In my forties so will be going for an A licence. I have full car truck and bus but no experience on bikes.
    Am i right in thinking i will have to do IBT and test on a bike at least 600cc?
    What are your thoughts on a bike over 600cc to learn on?
    Thanks
    eoin, any news on your new bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

horse7 wrote: »
    eoin, any news on your new bike?

No news yet. Ive had 6 theory tests cancelled , eventually done it online last week so now they said a 3 week wait for learner permit to do the ibt. Almost bought a gsx650f but it was just sold when i got there. Think i will wait now until ibt done.

Are we there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

Sorry I forgot about this thread. I got a mt07 couple of months ago and really happy with it. Same bike I done my IBT. Waiting to do test now and have a friend getting a new cbr 650r in the new year so might get his old cbr from him if I have test passed before that.

Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 vstrom rider

If your IBT certificate is due to expire shortly the Gov’t have extended some of them due to delays getting them renewed. It’s certainly worth checking here on the rsa website . https://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2021/Minister-Announces-Extension-to-validity-periods-of-learner-motor-cycle-IBT-training-certs/

Advertisement