Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

opelaudi wrote: »
    Hi o.p. I took up biking in my late forties about five years ago and I also have rhe car and truck licence but had to start from the beginning --- driver theory test and i.b.t. I believe that these cannot be avoided.I got myself a vintage bike (suzuki gsx550 1986) cheap insurance about E220 this year and tax E23 I thought I would only keep this temporarily but still drive it today.A suzuki gs500 would be a good bike to start on very manageable and light and like me use a school bike for the test for the a licence.No need for big bike as speed cameras and traffic everywhere so when out for a spin we are only moving with other traffic Enjoy the journey to getting that licence.

Thanks for that man. Unfortunately im still waiting for the theory test, ive had one cancelled already so hopefully they will start up again soon. Definitely worth thinking about a vintage bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to jump in on thread, but rather than start a new one.

I did theory in 2019 & IBT also & found it ok, put off getting a bike because bought house (which, only got in Jan due to COVID!), so time has coe around again now where I have the time to look again and things starting to open back up.

Was dead set on something like Harley 883, although heavy, but not against something like BMW G310 or something similar (touring bike). I was on a BMW on the IBT an thought it was pretty comfortable, as well as Suzuki GS650 (I think!) - quite open minded, sportster or touring bike would be preferable though.

I will have to do IBT again, but before I do, would like to maybe narrow choices down on bikes.

ALso, just got a quote for BMW G310 and it was €1780 - is that what you'd expect to pay?

Thanks,
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Johann. wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Sorry to jump in on thread, but rather than start a new one.

I did theory in 2019 & IBT also & found it ok, put off getting a bike because bought house (which, only got in Jan due to COVID!), so time has coe around again now where I have the time to look again and things starting to open back up.

Was dead set on something like Harley 883, although heavy, but not against something like BMW G310 or something similar (touring bike). I was on a BMW on the IBT an thought it was pretty comfortable, as well as Suzuki GS650 (I think!) - quite open minded, sportster or touring bike would be preferable though.

I will have to do IBT again, but before I do, would like to maybe narrow choices down on bikes.

ALso, just got a quote for BMW G310 and it was €1780 - is that what you'd expect to pay?

Thanks,
    John

Doesn't strike me that you were uncomfortable on a 600 so I'd be suggesting you go for an A category bike, so something bigger than a 300, but that quote is high for an A2, what age are you? You're possibly making a common mistake for a lot of new riders and that's considering buying the best bike they can afford at the time. Now a days the first year or 2 of riding is more about getting mileage, experince and building up your NCB on a bike that's affordable to run and is suitable to learn on... that you don't mind dropping. Put it this way, I'd suggest to most beginners to just get a TPFT policy to start, so you'll want a bike you can afford to fix yourself if you damage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

I've just discovered the VStrom 650 I was dreaming of is due for a makeover, parallel twin it seems - name change would seem sensible..... I won't pretend to know enough as to whether that's good or bad in principle - & I suppose it'll all depend on how they carry it out in practice. So if my 'graduation' coincides with that release it might make for some interesting scenarios - punt on an new engine, or maybe get a good deal on the last of the old...or get a 2nd hand of either version. A few more things to throw into the mixer.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Can't say enough good things about the vstrom (650xt ), I,d say with the refresh this year it will be 22 or 23 before the parallel twin comes out. It's a smooth powerful , comfortable ride, and just perfect for shorties like myself.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Doesn't strike me that you were uncomfortable on a 600 so I'd be suggesting you go for an A category bike, so something bigger than a 300, but that quote is high for an A2, what age are you? You're possibly making a common mistake for a lot of new riders and that's considering buying the best bike they can afford at the time. Now a days the first year or 2 of riding is more about getting mileage, experince and building up your NCB on a bike that's affordable to run and is suitable to learn on... that you don't mind dropping. Put it this way, I'd suggest to most beginners to just get a TPFT policy to start, so you'll want a bike you can afford to fix yourself if you damage it.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I wasn’t uncomfortable on it, just like the look of the BMW And that style of bike. Plus, thought it might have been cheaper to insure.

I am 28, 29 in October. I did think the quote was particularly high for an A2 and also, my age.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Get a quote on one of the common beginner A category 600s and see what you get then, CBF600 for example. Use an older model as an example. I'd go TPFT too as you'll want to build on your NCB so if something happened you'll probably be avoiding a claim if you can and you can't get NCB protection until 3 years I think.

just like the look of the BMW And that style of bike. Plus, thought it might have been cheaper to insure.

You've kind of confirmed what I said about buying the best bike or your favorite bike, this is your first bike not your last, serve your time on something cheap and reliable, you'll be thinking about upgrading in a month.

Get a quote on one of the common beginner A category 600s and see what you get then, CBF600 for example. Use an older model as an example. I'd go TPFT too as you'll want to build on your NCB so if something happened you'll probably be avoiding a claim if you can and you can't get NCB protection until 3 years I think.

You've kind of confirmed what I said about buying the best bike or your favorite bike, this is your first bike not your last, serve your time on something cheap and reliable, you'll be thinking about upgrading in a month.
    Yeah, I hear you.

I'll have a look over the weekend and see what impact one of the other models has on the insurance quote. Appointment mde to renew learners Permit next week also. :)

Had put in a CBF on the quote and came out at €1300, for pig irons sake i put in a GN125 and came out at nearly €700 with Carole Nash, mental prices!

Thanks again for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Had put in a CBF on the quote and came out at €1300, for pig irons sake i put in a GN125 and came out at nearly €700 with Carole Nash, mental prices!

Thanks again for your help :)

What age are you out of Interest?

You are better off ringing as the Online quotes are never accurate,

I got Comprehensive insurance on CBR650F on learner permit, no experience for just €519, I had just turned 40.

That was with Principal Insurance, Carole Nash couldn't match it.

• Advertisement

robbie_63 wrote: »
    What age are you out of Interest?

You are better off ringing as the Online quotes are never accurate,

I got Comprehensive insurance on CBR650F on learner permit, no experience for just €519, I had just turned 40.

That was with Principal Insurance, Carole Nash couldn't match it.
    28, 29 in October.

Yeh, i suppose it's the same for my car insurance, online is ****e.

That's a very decent quote all things considered though!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

28, 29 in October.

Yeh, i suppose it's the same for my car insurance, online is ****e.

That's a very decent quote all things considered though!

Yeah I paid it straight away haha!

Definitely worth ringing around though as you can always haggle them down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I started on a deauville. Not the prettiest. Cheap to insure, cheap to buy. Bullet proof.

Not full A, but you can use an instructors bike if you need for test.
    Perfect for learning to drives and get comfortable on a bike. Very forgiving.
    Then when you get a years NCB. And know more what you would like then sell it and buy what you want.

My second bike which I just bought was no where near my list when I was initially looking at my first bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I started on a deauville. Not the prettiest. Cheap to insure, cheap to buy. Bullet proof.

Not full A, but you can use an instructors bike if you need for test.
    Perfect for learning to drives and get comfortable on a bike. Very forgiving.
    Then when you get a years NCB. And know more what you would like then sell it and buy what you want.

My second bike which I just bought was no where near my list when I was initially looking at my first bike.

Same as, i have an 07 Deauville. Lovely bike to drive. I only have my licence a wet weekend co i'll hold onto her for another year or two and then sell on and upgrade

Same as, i have an 07 Deauville. Lovely bike to drive. I only have my licence a wet weekend co i'll hold onto her for another year or two and then sell on and upgrade
    What was insurnce out of interest?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I've been considering one for ages. Always come to the "but what IF it opens in a crash?" and then I'm back to full faces :D

Why would it open ? It's tested to the same standard as a fixed face one.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thanks

To get an idea look at Liberty insurance. They do online quotes - put in fake details but do same age - similar address etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭dmigsy

galwaytt wrote: »
    Why would it open ? It's tested to the same standard as a fixed face one.

Just looked this up. Most flip helmets open to some extent in crash tests. They don't factor it into the rating. For example, my helmet is Shoei Neotec 2. It stayed locked in only 70% of the tests that Sharp did. https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/shoei-neotec-ii/ .

It doesn't factor into the rating but clearly, it's not good if it's opening in a crash. Great helmet in terms of features, noise and comfort but it looks like it's failing it's main task. Ugh, want a new helmet now.

Thanks

€280 TPF&T

Only condition was that i have to keep the bike ina garage. Fortunately i have an old house, when garages were being built WITH the house!!

€280 TPF&T

Only condition was that i have to keep the bike ina garage. Fortunately i have an old house, when garages were being built WITH the house!!
    Ah ok, fair. I'd have to have it in the driveway. It's a new estate and NOBODY has motorbikes!! That and convincing herself there's space :D

• Advertisement

As Robbie said, call, you'll get a different quote and ring the lot of them, there's not many.

FYI, I'd take the CBF600 over the 300 and the dullville. It's not a hoon bike by any means but it will get you through the A test, and its always better to do the test on your own bike that you're comfortable with.

As Robbie said, call, you'll get a different quote and ring the lot of them, there's not many.

FYI, I'd take the CBF600 over the 300 and the dullville. It's not a hoon bike by any means but it will get you through the A test, and its always better to do the test on your own bike that you're comfortable with.

That was something that really threw me on the first pretest. I hadn't even considered that a different bike would feel SOOOO different to my own bike. It took me a bit of time to get 'comfortable' with it. I think it threw me a bit, its not like sitting into a different car, where I'm fairly comfortable within two minutes.

If i was doing things differently, i probably would've bought a Full A bike starting out. But the Deauville (less of that Dullville from you Zubair!! :P) was bought by Mrs KH as a late wedding pressie without my knowledge, so i couldn't turn my nose up at it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly happy with it, but in my mind the bike is a means to an end. Get used to driving one, get comfortable, get a newer one.

Not too sure what I'll go for, cos i like the big bike feel, but it's 2 or 3 years away for me at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

dmigsy wrote: »
    Just looked this up. Most flip helmets open to some extent in crash tests. They don't factor it into the rating. For example, my helmet is Shoei Neotec 2. It stayed locked in only 70% of the tests that Sharp did. https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/shoei-neotec-ii/ .

It doesn't factor into the rating but clearly, it's not good if it's opening in a crash. Great helmet in terms of features, noise and comfort but it looks like it's failing it's main task. Ugh, want a new helmet now.

Yeah. I'd absolutely love a modular helmet for the comfort and freedom, but I think I'd always worry if it'd hold up when it's actually needed in a crash. I always come back to that poxy point.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Yeah. I'd absolutely love a modular helmet for the comfort and freedom, but I think I'd always worry if it'd hold up when it's actually needed in a crash. I always come back to that poxy point.
    Here you go Jimmy
    https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/hjc-is-max-2/
    Stayed closed in 100% of tests

Here you go Jimmy
    https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/hjc-is-max-2/
    Stayed closed in 100% of tests

And this one, https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/agv-compact/, this is what I use daily.

i was getting very concerned at my choice of helmet until you posted up that site Flashinthepan.

Mine stays closed in 97% so i'm a lot less concerned now.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

i was getting very concerned at my choice of helmet until you posted up that site Flashinthepan.

Mine stays closed in 97% so i'm a lot less concerned now.
    The HJC I90 I use is supposed to be the replacement for the IS max that scored 100% with same closing mechanism but has not been tested by shark yet

But I do find it noisy and I would be wearing earplugs
    Also a couple of odd angles making it a bit awkward to stick the mount for the Drift camera

The HJC I90 I use is supposed to be the replacement for the IS max that scored 100% with same closing mechanism but has not been tested by shark yet

But I do find it noisy and I would be wearing earplugs
    Also a couple of odd angles making it a bit awkward to stick the mount for the Drift camera

I’ve a LS2 Valiant FF399, and yep, need plugs too

Haven’t got a helmet cam yet, that’ll be the next purchase

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27763768

This would do for A license? Thoughts on bandits or beginner?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27763768

This would do for A license? Thoughts on bandits or beginner?

Thanks.

Bandit is a good beginner bike and that looks pretty clean and is half faired, It'll be gone soon so get a quote for it over the phone ASAP.

Advertisement