Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

Phew, glad you didn't get landed with it!

I'll have a strict budget that will factor in the fees and other costs. Will be my first online auction so will be interesting! I'll make a note of what the F140's sell for lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

divillybit wrote: »

I'll have a strict budget that will factor in the fees and other costs. Will be my first online auction so will be interesting! I'll make a note of what the F140's sell for lol

I think the BNM auction is + vat and auction fees. Vat is 22% not sure of the fees

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I put a bid in a f140 at a previous auction. I put 20k on it. don't ask me what i was thinking at the time..... 10 would have been loads if you saw it. no exhaust manifold or starter and a few other bits missing too.
    went home and looked into it and nearly **** myself at the cost it would end up when id have it running.... thankfully there was a bigger fool than me there that day.
    Five or six years ago after the harvest OH and I were drawing round bales of straw outta a field in Kildare. The weather was crap at the time with lots of rain. I managed to make it to the road with my 7.5 ton lorry&drag but OH's larger lorry&drag just sat there with the tyres spinning. The farmer that was loading us brought his recently purchased New Holland tractor to pull it out but other than digging into the ground it only moved it a few feet. He phoned another local tillage farmer to help and that farmer sent his young lad in a ex BNM F140. The F140 sat down and pulled the lorry/drag out to the road. There is some snore from those Fiat 6 cylinder engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭green daries

Base price wrote: »
    Five or six years ago after the harvest OH and I were drawing round bales of straw outta a field in Kildare. The weather was crap at the time with lots of rain. I managed to make it to the road with my 7.5 ton lorry&drag but OH's larger lorry&drag just sat there with the tyres spinning. The farmer that was loading us brought his recently purchased New Holland tractor to pull it out but other than digging into the ground it only moved it a few feet. He phoned another local tillage farmer to help and that farmer sent his young lad in a ex BNM F140. The F140 sat down and pulled the lorry/drag out to the road. There is some snore from those Fiat 6 cylinder engines.

Ya they we're a sow to pull them f series and quite comfortable for there age pity they were so prone to rust and bits of gearbox troubles

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

https://www.wilsonsauctions.com/auctions/offsite-auctions/AuctionEvent?saleCode=219100&location=Dublin

Bord na, Mona auction is coming up soon, I don't know will there be much value to be had on the day but I'll register for it anyway and log in on the day. Some of the small ex harrow tractors like a TL70 would be what I'd be looking at in particular... Be taking a bit of a risk buying in trouble perhaps but if the auction prices are reasonable if might be worth chancing it

Asking prices for similar tractors are 20k +, if you can actually find an ad with a price listed. (like this TL 90, which has a gearbox problem and still looking for near 20K for it, https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-new-holland-year-2008-tl90-4wd/28351154

The way 2nd hand tractor prices are its hard to justify upgrading our old standby tractor for something more capable

Looks like the Cummins engines were in the trains? Let us know how you get on db, best of luck if you purchase.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Don't forget to factor for a pick up hitch if you will need one. Most tractors on have drawbars.

The day you buy is the day you sell

If it doesn’t have a book it can’t be sold

I say a lad buying a tractor like that it vould be twenty years before it would be moved on again if ever

If there's a reg number it's €12 for a replacement book from your local authority, if it was never registered it should still be sorted ,211 plate?

Ya not a big issues IMO either 3-400 euro should sort. 211 plate not the end of the world unless you wanted it for vintage. Not big money for a lad doing 50-60 bales a year, only drawing turf from a bog or using it on a lad with a few horses.

If it checks out ok you would have a tractor for 20-50 years doing that sort of work

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

The only 135's in the BnaM auction are ones converted to run on a narrow gauge rail. There are a few small 300 series MF tractors for auction too but these would not have been used for peat harvesting so wouldn't have been dogged. Like Twin Beacon I did seasonal work with BnaM, we were told to 'go like ****' by the supervisor so we were expected to drive machines hard. I saw machines dogged and abused but they were mainly the fiat agri F series and 110 90's that got the worst of it hauling the trailers.

Best paid summer job a young lad could get back in the day!

were the 362s not used for harrowing? we only had TL70s and the odd John Deere 5620 for harrowing. The money was unreal in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If there's a reg number it's €12 for a replacement book from your local authority, if it was never registered it should still be sorted ,211 plate?

How would you sort a tractor never registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭emaherx

Mooooo wrote: »

It's possible, there's been a good few threads here over the years explaining the process, involves getting documents signed by a main dealer confirming the age based on serial numbers etc. and an inspection by NCT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mooooo wrote: »

I had a query for local tax office about a strange registration of a vehicle.

She said everything can be sorted as long as people have patience amd are honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Ah heeyorrr

Seems to be missing a lot of bits, half that price for export?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

No book, not running and no cab

It’s actually worthless

The export lads usually want them running

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That’s some delusional add tuere 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 19,103 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No book, not running and no cab

It’s actually worthless

The export lads usually want them running

Must have been cannibalised already?

Even the pick up hitch is gone. The lifting rods are there but the hitch is not!

Metal scrap value. Not sure what heavy steel is now 170-200/ ton. Can and wheel arches missing so about 3 ton in weight 5-600 euro.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭White Clover

Metal scrap value. Not sure what heavy steel is now 170-200/ ton. Can and wheel arches missing so about 3 ton in weight 5-600 euro.

They were never very desirable. It's worth 10% of the asking price.

• Advertisement

Family sold one for export last year, rough as F### but everything there and running , got €3500, some guy from Omagh

Had a look at the BnaM tractors at the viewing site today. Lots of tractors wouldnt start due to flat batteries but the staff were very helpful if you needed to start one, but you couldnt bring them for a spin. Most I looked at like the TL70's had little or no hours clocked up since their last service which was 2018 in some cases. Only got an hour slot to look at the tractors so you had to know the ones you wanted to inspect in particular. Hard to know what prices they will make, but will need to see what the bidding is like on the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭amacca

Have to admire the guys optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Had a look at the BnaM tractors at the viewing site today. Lots of tractors wouldnt start due to flat batteries but the staff were very helpful if you needed to start one, but you couldnt bring them for a spin. Most I looked at like the TL70's had little or no hours clocked up since their last service which was 2018 in some cases. Only got an hour slot to look at the tractors so you had to know the ones you wanted to inspect in particular. Hard to know what prices they will make, but will need to see what the bidding is like on the day..

Are you interested in a TL70? 2 or 4wd? Let us know the prices and how you got on.

Aye, I'd be interested in a TL70 if the price is right. I think they are a dinky simple but capable tractor. Some I looked at did have their issues, such as wouldn't go into gear, locked front wheel hub, no brakes, pto not working... I'll log in on the day for a few hours and record the hammer prices. Gotta add another 30% roughly to the hammer price for vat and commission so that has to be factored into any bids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/renault-110-54-turbo/28438824

Needs tires but if she’s mechanically sound there could be value here

Ya it would be a grand second tractor. It would manage a double bale handler and be a fairly decent yoke to tow as well. These MWM engines were fairly bomb proof. It's really down to whether it is mechanically sound

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Exhaust, air precleaner, mirrors and lose the
    stick holding up the back window would very cheaply improve its appearance. If it's ok otherwise, set of good secondhand tyres and it's a very cheap tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,103 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Gillespy wrote: »
    Exhaust, air precleaner, mirrors and lose the
    stick holding up the back window would very cheaply improve its appearance. If it's ok otherwise, set of good secondhand tyres and it's a very cheap tractor.

Sure that's the original stick that came with the tractor when it was new.

• Advertisement

That big Renault sold quick!

Advertisement