Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

You really don't like 6610's bass :)
    What happened your one?

Was the last, probably will be the last, new tractor bought here, 76 I think. Changed in 02 maybe, not quite sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭White Clover

Broke my heart, it was a beautiful tractor to drive but first the splind for the pressure plate went, then the head gasket went because the block went pourus. After that the clutch went again. Finally it nearly went on fire one day. Moved it on after that. Mine was a series 3 it did not cost me much more than that one nearly 10 years ago now

She must have had done the world of work and been repainted and rebadged? As far as I know, there was no series 3 6610. After many complaints to Ford about 6610's being under powered, Ford introduced the 6810, which was a derated 7610. The 6610 were then sold as the 6410.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

i couldnt say that....
    I'll be ran out the door with ye lads ringing up for a chat while drawing in silage all week!

Ford 6610 Tractor with front loader?

How you getting on with the Zetor now Dinzee?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ford 6610 Tractor with front loader?

That was my guess

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's just it with Donedeal. People now know the market value of most machines and tractors. You can sort by price, so the most expensive machines will be at the end of the list.

€38k for a 1995 390T, discuss in no more than 200 words. :D
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-390t/28349238

CN reg. Owner obviously too mean to put diesel in it.

Ends up with a barely used 26 year old tractor :pac:

can't be good for the engine though not to have been worked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Engine should be grand, better to have a low used maintained engine than a high used umaintained one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

How you getting on with the Zetor now Dinzee?

Yeah, all right...

It’s doing what I need, but I’m not warming to it to be honest...

My little 135 is in the mechanic getting some long overdue jobs done, and I miss it - which probably isn’t a good sign... :)

I was half thinking if tractor prices keep rising I’d nearly be tempted to sell the zetor again... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

He'll unlikely sell it to another Cavan man....
    €20,000 too dear, even with 1200 hours on the clock...

Yeah, all right...

It’s doing what I need, but I’m not warming to it to be honest...

My little 135 is in the mechanic getting some long overdue jobs done, and I miss it - which probably isn’t a good sign... :)

I was half thinking if tractor prices keep rising I’d nearly be tempted to sell the zetor again... :)

Might be a 4wd you need? I remember you saying it was no good lifting bales on the front end loader out of a field. No 2wd will do that job in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    He'll unlikely sell it to another Cavan man....
    €20,000 too dear, even with 1200 hours on the clock...

Collectors item amd charging collectors prices too, it’s mad money.

Might be a 4wd you need? I remember you saying it was no good lifting bales on the front end loader out of a field. No 2wd will do that job in winter.

Oh, it is a 4WD I need, no doubt...

And no, there wasn’t a bale on the loader in the field, it was just the tractor and transport box of beet - and it dug in with the two front wheels. Just the weight of the loader alone made it very helpless...

Ah, it’s a good tractor, I don’t want to be running it down too much. It’s just not what I need...

Having said all that - the kids love that they can come up with me now. It has the passenger seat. And that’s great, for both them and me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

And no, there wasn’t a bale on the loader in the field, it was just the tractor and transport box of beet - and it dug in with the two front wheels. Just the weight of the loader alone made it very helpless...

I know what you mean, the weight of the loader opens a trench with the front wheels for the back wheels to get stuck in. The wider wheels of a 4WD is a big help if travelling on wet ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭hopeso

Ah, it’s a good tractor, I don’t want to be running it down too much. It’s just not what I need...

Having said all that - the kids love that they can come up with me now. It has the passenger seat. And that’s great, for both them and me :)

Can you not remove the loader, or is it needed for another job?

hopeso wrote: »
    Can you not remove the loader, or is it needed for another job?

I can, and must do...

I didn’t at the time just cos it was new and I tore into the job thinking the loader wouldn’t be as much of a hinderance... I was wrong :)

Funny, the loader is handy, just for random bits and pieces too... I must get some attachments for it though, pallet forks be handy...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

2wd with a loader is only fit for exceptional ground conditions. Ours rarely sees grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

https://www.wilsonsauctions.com/auctions/offsite-auctions/AuctionEvent?saleCode=219100&location=Dublin

Bord na, Mona auction is coming up soon, I don't know will there be much value to be had on the day but I'll register for it anyway and log in on the day. Some of the small ex harrow tractors like a TL70 would be what I'd be looking at in particular... Be taking a bit of a risk buying in trouble perhaps but if the auction prices are reasonable if might be worth chancing it

Asking prices for similar tractors are 20k +, if you can actually find an ad with a price listed. (like this TL 90, which has a gearbox problem and still looking for near 20K for it, https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-new-holland-year-2008-tl90-4wd/28351154

The way 2nd hand tractor prices are its hard to justify upgrading our old standby tractor for something more capable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

divillybit wrote: »
    https://www.wilsonsauctions.com/auctions/offsite-auctions/AuctionEvent?saleCode=219100&location=Dublin

Bord na, Mona auction is coming up soon, I don't know will there be much value to be had on the day but I'll register for it anyway and log in on the day. Some of the small ex harrow tractors like a TL70 would be what I'd be looking at in particular... Be taking a bit of a risk buying in trouble perhaps but if the auction prices are reasonable if might be worth chancing it

Asking prices for similar tractors are 20k +, if you can actually find an ad with a price listed. (like this TL 90, which has a gearbox problem and still looking for near 20K for it, https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-new-holland-year-2008-tl90-4wd/28351154

The way 2nd hand tractor prices are its hard to justify upgrading our old standby tractor for something more capable

No drivers mirror, exhaust as rusty as could be, a block to the front wheel to stop her rolling, the seat covered with a cloth so probably beat as well and new front tyres needed.
    Imagine how rough she is if you actually went to see her!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Out of all the Bord na Mona auctions (over 200 tractors), there probably has only been 20 or so put up on donedeal. All the small bits add up. Someone from an engine rebuilding crowd told me they had at least 3 or 4 big ford engines in from machines at those auctions. For one of the old ford tw15/8630, a pair of steps, front lights and back window could cost you €1000 and thats if you can find them second hand.

Take your mechanic with you to the viewing and check all the missing parts and try go through everything on a machine.

There is nothing cheap at those auctions.

• Advertisement

The best minded tractors in these auctions would be the small MF tractors that the service guys would use..but they would be too small for what I'd need.

These auction tractors might not be cheap but there could be value there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The best minded tractors in these auctions would be the small MF tractors that the service guys would use..but they would be too small for what I'd need.

The service guys used to refer to the mf135’s as “scutter bullets” in my local bnm workshop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

These auction tractors might not be cheap but there could be value there too.

What are your requirements for a tractor? Do you need 4wd? What hp?

kevthegaff wrote: »

A picture of the inside would show how much is needed to be spent on it. They are good solid tractor. I'd expect a new seat and a few other bits required in the cab.
    I'd also expect the bottom of the door frames to be gone too. Both the rear mudguards are gone and front left missing.
    Not sure what is required to fix the 2nd gear, but would need to split, so at that stage a new clutch too wouldn't do any harm when it is down that far. Gearbox are a bit notchy in the older Same's at the best of times.
    Would be a fine machine for someone but I'd want a bit of the price to counter all the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Grueller wrote: »
    No drivers mirror, exhaust as rusty as could be, a block to the front wheel to stop her rolling, the seat covered with a cloth so probably beat as well and new front tyres needed.
    Imagine how rough she is if you actually went to see her!!!!!

The 70hp harrow tractors would never have been worked hard. Must will have no PTO work done, and only very light work with the lift arms. All the TL70s should also have Air Con fitted too, my last summer in the bord (2010) my TL70 had air con fitted the previous winter.

The tractors on balloon tires will also have no hard work done as they were just pulling a peat ridger in the summer production months, and then parked up for the rest of the year as the balloon tires are useless on wet bog. Those tractors have no PTO or lift arm work done. the last time I drove a ridger tractor it was a 7 year old TM 140, with around 800 hours on it.

They are the only two types of tractor I'd consider. the NH TL, TM and 8360/M135 are common, parts should be easy to get, and even damaged bodywork should be easy to replace. I see there are few fiats in the auction too, even a few 110-90s, I wasn't aware BnM had any. All the fiats do look dog rough.

The prices at these auctions amaze me to be honest. I think people seem to think that because the tractors came from BnM they wouldn't have had a hard life. A lot have. Some of the lads I worked with would bend iron in a bog, and would dog machines. Also, a few of the tractors would probably have had a fire at some stage, so on the larger New Hollands or John Deere's check the electrics in the cab work, otherwise you could be forking out for a replacement wiring loom!

A few years ago a guy bought a John Deere 4055 an a BnM auction and restored it to its former glory. One summer I spent a few weeks in an 89 TW15, then into an 89 4055 for a few weeks. To say the cab of the Deere was light years ahead of the Ford is an understatement. Digital dash and full power shift gearbox, and an air seat!
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/journey-from-peat-to-silage-classic-john-deere-gets-new-lease-of-life/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Here is an interesting one

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/zetor-5211-with-300-genuine-hours/28387742

supposed to be only 300 hours on it. However no registeration book. If it checked out ok it would be a handy second tractor, or a handy tractor on a small holding. Well capable of lifting a bale. you might want some weight at the front

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/zetor-5211-with-300-genuine-hours/28387742

supposed to be only 300 hours on it. However no registeration book. If it checked out ok it would be a handy second tractor, or a handy tractor on a small holding. Well capable of lifting a bale. you might want some weight at the front

The day you buy is the day you sell

If it doesn’t have a book it can’t be sold

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If there's a reg number it's €12 for a replacement book from your local authority, if it was never registered it should still be sorted ,211 plate?

The service guys used to refer to the mf135’s as “scutter bullets” in my local bnm workshop

The only 135's in the BnaM auction are ones converted to run on a narrow gauge rail. There are a few small 300 series MF tractors for auction too but these would not have been used for peat harvesting so wouldn't have been dogged. Like Twin Beacon I did seasonal work with BnaM, we were told to 'go like ****' by the supervisor so we were expected to drive machines hard. I saw machines dogged and abused but they were mainly the fiat agri F series and 110 90's that got the worst of it hauling the trailers.

Best paid summer job a young lad could get back in the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I put a bid in a f140 at a previous auction. I put 20k on it. don't ask me what i was thinking at the time..... 10 would have been loads if you saw it. no exhaust manifold or starter and a few other bits missing too.
    went home and looked into it and nearly **** myself at the cost it would end up when id have it running.... thankfully there was a bigger fool than me there that day.

Advertisement