Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling In The Years

• 18-03-2021 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/RTEPress/status/1372523547445358594

RTE confirm that a new decade of Reeling In The Years will start on April 11th.

Covering 2010-2019.
    Always a good watch so interesting to see what they do. Plenty to cover.

Bound to end with discovery of Covid-19 in Wuhan and then fade to credits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

One of my guilty pleasures... I look forward to this.
    My teenage kids enjoy it too, particularly when I can tell them more about the events featured.

They should play the entire series for history and music lessons in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,019 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I wonder how will they end the 2019 episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LameBeaver

It`s obvious really. The 5 in a row for the Dublin footballers. Sure what else would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

LameBeaver wrote: »
    It`s obvious really. The 5 in a row for the Dublin footballers. Sure what else would it be?

I don't fancy watching the 4 Mayo All Ireland losses.

I'll be giving this a skip.

Really excited about this until I realised that ten weeks later I will be waiting another ten years for the next installment! Not sure how to handle that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Probably going to get a bit of hate here. But I feel 2010-2019 is far too soon to be objective with reeling in the years.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Probably going to get a bit of hate here. But I feel 2010-2019 is far too soon to be objective with reeling in the years.

2000 to 2010 I believe was put together and broadcast in 2011 or 2012? I might be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Jesus... I am now so old, I remember the same posts complaining in 2010/11 about that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I think that covid will be alluded to by a guy going into the bathroom in the diner while we are all sitting down to our family meals with "Don't Stop Believing" playing in the background
    Then scene fades to black.
    End credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Can't wait for the 2022 to 2029 series

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Jesus... I am now so old, I remember the same posts complaining in 2010/11 about that also.

I believe I may also have complained about that then. :D

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Can't wait for the 2022 to 2029 series

Irish Unification 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That's how they've done it and works fine.

Later years seem strange but when you see the repeats from 2028 on they will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

My main gripe with Reeling In the Years is that it’s never off the bloody telly. Cheap filler for every bank holiday, or during the summer when RTEs news staff go on their holidays.

trashcan wrote: »
    My main gripe with Reeling In the Years is that it’s never off the bloody telly. Cheap filler for every bank holiday, or during the summer when RTEs news staff go on their holidays.

One of my games is to try not to see or hear what year it is, and guess it. The 90s are no bother to me. When I started getting the 70s and earlier years in the 80s I realised I've just seen it too many times...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Probably with new years eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

trashcan wrote: »

I know it off by heart now . I know what coming next once I hear the song they are playing .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't like the theme tune. Get's on my nerves for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

2000 to 2010 I believe was put together and broadcast in 2011 or 2012? I might be wrong?

You are wrong .............again. The 2000-2009 series of RITY was originally broadcast on RTE from October to December 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭shane b

+1 on this too. I know it's from a song of the same name as the programme which is good marketing but just dont like the song.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't like the theme tune. Get's on my nerves for some reason.

What the original Steely Dan song or the RTE version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Emptur.

Think it's due a name and a theme tune change

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

You are wrong .............again. The 2000-2009 series of RITY was originally broadcast on RTE from October to December 2010.
    I remember watching the 2009 episode and seeing things from 11/12 months previously. Zero nostalgia and no objectivity.

Although 2019 feels like 18 years ago already, so maybe it will work this time. :( :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

budgese wrote: »
    One of my games is to try not to see or hear what year it is, and guess it. The 90s are no bother to me. When I started getting the 70s and earlier years in the 80s I realised I've just seen it too many times...

Oof: I find it's the opposite with me. I've a pretty good head for dates I learned in history but ask me what were the big news stories from my early 20s, and I'm lost.

Emptur. wrote: »
    Think it's due a name and a theme tune change

No and no. Don`t fix what isn`t broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

shane b wrote: »
    +1 on this too. I know it's from a song of the same as the programme which is good marketing but just dont like the song.

Oh God, I have it in my head now.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

I haven't looked at it in years but when I still watched Reeling in the Years I found the 60's episodes to be the best. The 90's ones were poor as being made in 2000 there's no historical perspective. Even the 80's episodes are now older than the years they were covering at the time. I found the 2000's series incredibly smug. In a world of 24 hour media where every news story is beaten into the ground I've no idea why anyone would want to relive it only a few years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,552 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Looking forward to this

Don't worry if you miss the first airing it will no doubt be repeated many many times

Virgins 'Don't Look back in anger' was good but its no reeling in the years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Emptur.

I could never stand it

Guess it's not aimed at me then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LameBeaver

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this

Don't worry if you miss the first airing it will no doubt be repeated many many times

Virgins 'Don't Look back in anger' was good but its no reeling in the years

100%.

Advertisement