Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends who let you down and stuff like that.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

paw patrol wrote: »
    I've clearly said my issue (here) isn't specially covid related

I'm just basing it off what you've said. You're angry with him because you both had convictions and you feel he's gone against this.

These convictions were Covid related.

All i'm saying is that maybe you guys should draw a line under the Covid stuff and base your friendship on the other things you have in common. I assume you were friends before Covid started?

As the example I gave above, my friend would often be getting annoyed and frustrated with his football team. It was an overly negative view of them and he was bringing that negative energy into the group, exacerbating the problem.

Once we put a moratorium on this particular subject, things changed for the better. It might work with you guys

I suspect, you are reverting to type as seen in other forums. I thought you were being genuine a few posts back, I guess not. shame.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    He's still your friend, whether the lizard people are putting 5G in the drinking water or not. Try just not talking to him about conspiracy stuff and base your friendship on normal things.

Also, I wasn't making fun here. If you took it that way, I apologise.

I don't take the whole conspiracy stuff very seriously and I sometimes describe it in dismissive ways. While I think the dismissiveness is deserved as the ideas are ridiculous, it is the ideas themselves I am being smart about. Not you.

Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Best to ignore it.

I am in the England and I am surrounded by Brexit voting Little Englanders which include my wife's family...I effing hate it.

Save for the 19 yr old office junior here at the time, I was the only other person in my workplace to vote "Remain". I had to listen to some awful rubbish most of which was simply not true but I may as well argue with the wall. No point. Ill informed Daily Mail led anti EU diatribe.

Sometimes OP you just have to suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I would call him out as a massive fraud to be honest. I've done the same with a friend who was very pro lockdown banging on about weird safety measures. Meanwhile he was drinking with his neighbour all the time and got covid off them.

I'm just having a moan - offer me some advise or similar stories to cheer me up

Millions of whatsapp message about new world orders, vaccines passports, bill gates etc.... and in real life he was fighting with supermarket staff and the rest over masks etc..
    Many more people acting like this than you realize.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Every time he puts some more jibberish up just ask him did he have any side effects from the vaccine, when is he due the second jab etc, keep asking about the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Tork

Out of curiosity, did you like this guy better when he was having rows in supermarkets over masks? Fighting with supermarket staff over masks is dickish behaviour TBH.

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    I would call him out as a massive fraud to be honest.

I was wondering about this.

Would you not just call him out on it next time he sends you something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Also, I wasn't making fun here. If you took it that way, I apologise.

I don't take the whole conspiracy stuff very seriously and I sometimes describe it in dismissive ways. While I think the dismissiveness is deserved as the ideas are ridiculous, it is the ideas themselves I am being smart about. Not you.

Apologies.

Fair enough.
    Lets not fall out

I was wondering about this.

Would you not just call him out on it next time he sends you something?

I probably will tbh.
    I just don't want a mess of my own doing effecting the women , i guess that is what caused me to hold my tongue

• Advertisement

Tork wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, did you like this guy better when he was having rows in supermarkets over masks? Fighting with supermarket staff over masks is dickish behaviour TBH.

Nah. Not at all.
    you can not wear a mask and still should be polite and take your custom elsewhere

Imagine a vegan, a stalwart of the vegan club and social media vegan champion.
    Who you then found out loved a quarter pounder meal after the pub.
    Would you not think they were a hypocrite and a sham?

That's the point I'm trying to make.

I probably will tbh.
    I just don't want a mess of my own doing effecting the women , i guess that is what caused me to hold my tongue

The problem with that, is, it tends to brew which will eventually lead to a much bigger argument, then if you just say something.

I'd ask him outright, not in a confrontational way, but in a conversational way, why he accepted the vaccine when he gave you the impression he did not believe the virus was any danger, and see what he says.

I bet he'll come back and say "work insisted" or something like that, to cover himself.

I bet he'll come back and say "work insisted" or something like that, to cover himself.

don't you know it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Tork

Nah. Not at all.
    you can not wear a mask and still should be polite and take your custom elsewhere

Imagine a vegan, a stalwart of the vegan club and social media vegan champion.
    Who you then found out loved a quarter pounder meal after the pub.
    Would you not think they were a hypocrite and a sham?

That's the point I'm trying to make.

I get your point. He's a hypocrite and I agree, he's full of sh*t. You'd be surprised what mental gymnastics the people who've fallen down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole are capable of though.

I'm more concerned that he was a dick who refused to wear a mask and fought with supermarket staff. I'm sure that there are many people who disagree with the restrictions and mask wearing. Still, they pull on the mask during their shop visit and put up with it for the few minutes. The ones who won't wear them in shops now are largely ones who want to draw attention to themselves and want to fight with people over it.

Tork wrote: »
    I'm more concerned that he was a dick who refused to wear a mask and fought with supermarket staff. I'm sure that there are many people who disagree with the restrictions and mask wearing. Still, they pull on the mask during their shop visit and put up with it for the few minutes. The ones who won't wear them in shops now are largely ones who want to draw attention to themselves and want to fight with people over it.

You'll find that a fair chunk of the Anti-Restrictions crowd are screaming and repeating the concerns of others as an excuse to be obnoxious, loud and selfish. A lot of these lads will drop their "concerns" when it suits them.

If it's not Covid, it'll be something else. I think this guy said it best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I have had something similar in my social circle. When this person does something hypocritical, I just ignore what they do. you said earlier upthread to a poster that you weren't going to fall out with them for their post. Same idea here - don't fall out over it IF they have other qualities you like.

I have another friend who is not hypocritical but would post about plandemic, stupid politicians, etc., whereas I am not like that at all. But really her business has taken a year's hit, she is homeschooling her children, she is worried about her parents getting sick, and she is going to get into problems with her mortgage. So you know what, her rants are not about me, and not really to do with me. She has amazing qualities and that is why she is my friend. She is stressed TF, as are a lot of people right now.

Just ignore the topic.

thanks folks

nice to chew the fat on something and get perspectives of others even those I disagree with.

if only we had a few pints :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

a total fraud.

Actions are all that matter, cut him loose and let the wives continue with their friendship.

Or

Continue as is and mute him on WhatsApp.

Advertisement