Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Itchy Perineum

Options
  • 14-03-2021 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

After a long cycle I get a itchy perineum and its usually itchy for a day or two afterwards..I wear padded cycle shorts-no underwear, I also use anti-chaff gel ...but to no avail.

Any remedy out there? or does it mean a visit to the GP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Have you tried chamois cream?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

I use Glide anti chafing gel

Is Chamois cream better? where can I get it a chemist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Assuming the shorts are washed after every use, it is more than likely a reaction to either the anti-chafing cream (try Sudocreme..) or the detergent in your wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dub 24

I would suspect it's some sort of skin infection that is aggravated by sweat movement etc . I would suggest you get some Daktarin powder or cream, it's available over the counter from the pharmacy. Apply after showering and also before bedtime as fungal infections usually thrive at night due to the heat of the body under duvets etc.
    Hope this alleviates the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Assuming the shorts are washed after every use, it is more than likely a reaction to either the anti-chafing cream (try Sudocreme..) or the detergent in your wash.

Not after every cycle...about once per 2 months

sudocrem helps a bit, but doesn't relieve the itch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

frosty123 wrote: »

Whaaaaat? You only once your shorts about once every two months?? :eek:

That more than likely is your issue. Was them after every cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Not after every cycle...about once per 2 months...
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Hands up who else had to Google what a Perineum is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Itchy Perineum is the full name of the mouse in The Simpsons

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

bazermc wrote: »

I know what it t'aint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Nope, had surgery to sale area & wasn’t pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Did I misread that, if I read correctly and you're not trying to be funny then bio detergent wash them after every ride!

If you have expensive shorts and want to prolong the life buy cheaper ones for shorter rides and wash at 30 (but still with bio).

What about the jocks? How many wears you getting from them?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

dahat wrote: »
    Nope, had surgery to sale area & wasn’t pleasant.

Same here. Really unpleasant and not something I'll ever forget.

As for the OP's issue - I'll assume the shorts are washed after every use and that he get the itchiness only after a long cycle - something he does every two months or so.
    frosty123 wrote:
    After a long cycle I get a itchy perineum and its usually itchy for a day or two afterwards..I wear padded cycle shorts-no underwear, I also use anti-chaff gel ...but to no avail.

Some washing powder can cause a rash for some people and some rashes can also be itchy. Non-bio is less likely to cause a rash in my experience. I wash my kit - after each spin - in a 30 degree wash using Persil non-bio as bio has given me a rash in other areas in the past.

Not those of us who paid attention in biology class and those who sympathised with Kelly's suffering with his infamous boil.

(...and of course, not those of us who work in the general medical area ;)).

Re the above mention of Kelly:
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you want to find a symbol that summarises professional cycling in all its cruelty, heroism and treachery, you need look no further than Seán Kelly's bony backside.

In 1987, this lion of the road was among the favourites to win the tour of Spain, La Vuelta a España. With four days to go, he was leading the race by 43 seconds; the next day he abandoned. Turned out he'd been suffering with a cyst on his perineum, caused by an ingrown hair.

An online medical dictionary tells us that the male perineum is located between the scrotum and the anus. One can only imagine that a bike saddle is the last place where you'd want to be sitting with such an affliction. Kelly sat on it for four days, pounding out mile after punishing mile. The agony must have been exquisite.

The night before a time trial in Valladolid, a tour doctor lanced the boil and stitched the wound. The Carrick-on-Suir man's stoicism was already legendary: he could eat any amount of pain. Kelly soldiered on through the time trial and duly assumed the leader's jersey. But the stitches burst from the pressure. The next day, on Stage 19, he finally surrendered.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Whilst I wouldn't want to diminish Kelly's heroism in the face of a hurty scranus, any midwife could offer tales of perineal trauma that would make Kelly's eyes water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

crosstownk wrote: »
    Some washing powder can cause a rash for some people and some rashes can also be itchy. Non-bio is less likely to cause a rash in my experience. I wash my kit - after each spin - in a 30 degree wash using Persil non-bio as bio has given me a rash in other areas in the past.
    I've eczema, and non-bio is all I can use. Itchy af if I use biological washing detergent. If I have to wash in biological (which sometimes stuff does), it goes back in for a full wash cycle.

I'm also going to assume gear is washed each use, and the itch only happens after every 2 months. I'd look at the post spin - straight into the shower or at least a good clean around the saddle contact point area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

km991148 wrote: »
    Did I misread that, if I read correctly and you're not trying to be funny then bio detergent wash them after every ride!

If you have expensive shorts and want to prolong the life buy cheaper ones for shorter rides and wash at 30 (but still with bio).

What about the jocks? How many wears you getting from them?? :pac:

Surely non-bio would be better in this case?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not those of us who paid attention in biology class and those who sympathised with Kelly's suffering with his infamous boil.

(...and of course, not those of us who work in the general medical area ;)).

I lanced one that appeared myself, size of a golf ball just behind and to the right of the testicles. I will never forget it, I am not a flexible man at the best of times. Feeling queezy just thinking about it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

CramCycle wrote: »
    I lanced one that appeared myself, size of a golf ball just behind and to the right of the testicles. I will never forget it, I am not a flexible man at the best of times. Feeling queezy just thinking about it again.

I take it this was your own boil (and testicles) and you're not making a habit of, err, surprising people?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you need the element of surprise for it to be effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Timely. Male and female reader discretion advised.....

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/saddle-sores-101/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I take it this was your own boil (and testicles) and you're not making a habit of, err, surprising people?
    I hope they were mine. Once is a mistake, twice is a choice, but after this many years I have to hope they are OK with this behaviour.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Surely non-bio would be better in this case?

For prolonged life?

Probably but I prefer the bio to kill all organic matter.

I think in order of worst to best for clothing it's:

High temp bio powder
    High temp bio liquid
    High temp non bio
    Low temp bio powder
    Low temp bio liquid
    Low temp non bio

I go low temp with bio liquid, seems to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Bio v non-bio in this case really depends on whether it is infection related from the shorts not being clean or skin irritation from the shorts/ detergent.

But, I would think something up with the cleanliness of the shorts wouldn't just be long spins?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Bio v non-bio in this case really depends on whether it is infection related from the shorts not being clean or skin irritation from the shorts/ detergent.

But, I would think something up with the cleanliness of the shorts wouldn't just be long spins?

If it's itchy it's possibly fungal and some Daktacort or similar as someone mentioned will sort it. GP can advise if it keeps coming back.

Btw, I talk very loosely about this stuff.. there is no shame etc I'd say everyone gets a bit if this now and again.

If it were happening only at certain times after using certain powder etc then could be allergies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

After each spin & shower moisturise the area as it could just be that its is dry skin that will eventually crack causing possible infections. I've found doing this twice daily has helped keep elasticity in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Adding some of that Dettol laundry stuff to the wash is also beneficial. Kills all the microbes, and stops anything that can survive low temp washes from building up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

To help rule out the washing powder, how about putting a panty liner in the shorts and see how that goes? Make sure you get the non-scented ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

CramCycle wrote: »

The size of a golf ball?! :eek:

Advertisement