Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Science outside of school? (Leaving Cert)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

UL will be starting to graduate their Maths and Comp Sci Education students next year so at least a few will be coming there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

It's so hard to get those teacher to Leinster where you have the real shortages. I'll be interested to see if it'll go the way of the Home Ec course in Angelas, with a significant proportion going to private industry. Maths and programming are very in demand skillsets, a smart IT heavy company might come poaching.

Hopefully not though. It's a brilliant course, a dream to teach and very well thought out and resourced. Students really enjoy it too, even the ones who won't use it later get their teeth into parts of the course. Great example of scrapping the old plan and introducing a well thought out course with projectwork, group work and practical exams along with a written one.......and then delivering excellent cpd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

I'm applying for the PME later this year to do comp sci and maths as a second subject. Currently doing a higher diploma in Science of Computing for Educators with the ATU to solve my 'no record of modules completed' issues. I already have 70 credits in Comp Sci and Software Engineering and by the end of the year will have another 60. I'm the only non teacher, plenty of teachers on the course doing it to qualify as comp sci teachers. So I'd expect a steady rise in numbers over the next few years. Most are STEM teachers and many already teaching JC short courses, LCA, TY in IT in their schools. For maths I'll be 10 credits short but more than likely have the same issue as with Comp Sci as in I have no record of my modules (). And while I'm enjoying the Computing course, I'm not doing the maths again😵‍💫. So I won't be a 'qualified' maths teacher, but hopefully that won't hold me back too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

They'll have you straight in a maths class, I wouldn't worry about that!

The teaching council are a distaster, lots of people with a substantial amount of maths or computer science like engineers would be more than capable of teaching the com sci course, and be great teachers but the hoops and time make it difficult. Fair play for sticking with it!

Just an update on my lad's computer science. So far he has had a 1.5hr online class weekly in 5th year. He also went on site for a full day class at Halloween, Christmas, and Feb mid term. He is currently doing a 10 week, 2hr weekly online class over the summer and will resume the weekly grind and full day holiday sessions for 6th year. When the project is released he will need to attend in person in Limerick for a few hours, one day a week (sat or sun) for the duration of the project, 8 weeks or so. He will only work on the project in those classes with the teacher present. He will have a login to his account as will the SEC and his own school.

So it's all looking positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Glad its working out for you, but why would the SEC have access to the account? That is absolute nonsense. That grinds school are going to tell you whatever you want to hear so you won't question anything. The SEC have nothing to do with student accounts. When the project is finished the class teacher uploads them to an SEC portal for when they are going to be marked. The teacher signs off to say they have supervised the work.

Well I may have misunderstood but I thought that's what the teacher told me. Perhaps they want to check on it to see there are no logins outside of the classes, maybe that was the only way they'd accept the subject. Can't see any reason the teacher would lie about that, it was all volunteered info, I hadn't asked anything about the account. Not really the point of the update either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm not trying to pick a row with you, it's just not how the SEC operate. There would be questions to answer if someone in the SEC had access to your child's account. What account, something like office 365? What if they went in to have a nose, and deleted work by accident. Do remember, grind schools are a business, their aim is to get bums on seats and charge you for the service. No more than the 'I only get H1s comment', they will tell you whatever you need to hear to get you in the door.

There is prep work to be done before the exam, setting up files on USB keys etc for the students. Correct software installed on computers, computer science teacher on hand if a computer crashes etc. There is paperwork to be signed off. Will the teacher travel to Dublin to sign that off for your child. There are solid reasons for having the teacher in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Newdawn11

HI, I realise this is an old thread but I was wondering how things panned out for your son in the end. My sonis eager to do compute science outside school and was wondering about the the route you took as an option? Thank you.

• Advertisement

I'll tell you on August 23rd!! Kilmartin was great. My son and his friend signed up to do the class as an extra subject through them. The tutor was excellent, only takes on around 10 students and we had soooo many calls from himself so that everyone was in the loop at all times. They had a weekly grind online and they also attended the centre in person in Limerick (we're in Dublin) for a one day course every school break - midterms, Christmas etc, a week in summer online and for the project they travelled every Sunday for about 8 weeks to Limerick to do the project work in front of the tutor. Make no mistake, it is a serious undertaking and cost quite a bit in the end with hotels for the school break classes (our choice not to start a day at 6am and have 5 hours driving too). But he is hoping for at least a H2 and he is ready for computer science in college wherever he ends up. His younger brother also mentioned doing it but we said no as he doesn't have the same passion for it, he just saw it as a handy extra, but there's nothing 'handy' about it for us. As it turns out his school are not offering chemistry (his passion) this year for 5th years so he is doing that as an extra instead.

Their school had to upload the projects for them and they had their exam in May in their own school too. They were happy to help in any way, 15 students, their first leaving cert class, and there were 5 students doing an extra, outside subject.

All in all we're very happy with it and the 2 lads are delighted they got to do it. Both have been coding since the age of 6 and knew even then that it's what they wanted to do.

Happy to answer any questions you might have

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Newdawn11

Thanks so much for the reply. My son can code and is interested in computers so that is whythis might be the best option for him as an extra. Would also have to travel from Dublin, the only plus is that I am from there originally and go regularly to visit my parents. Was wondering if there was any issue doing the exam in your own school, having the right computer or software required etc.

Also, would it have eaten it to study time to travel to Limerick for the project. I am a secondary teacher myself so know how busy after Christmas in 6th Year can be. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and best of luck with the results.

Post edited by Newdawn11 on

Will message you next week, on hols at the moment.

Advertisement