Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Computer Science outside of school? (Leaving Cert)

• 13-03-2021 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1 SeamusW

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to do the Computer Science subject outside of school, since my brother's school doesn't teach it.

The principal said it would be okay except for the fact it has a project aspect worth 30%, and they wouldn't be able to sign off on it since it's not being supervised.. something like that?

I know other subjects can be done outside of school but I'm not sure if they have a project in them.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭ rainbowtrout

Schools still have to apply to the DES to offer the subject, as you said there's a project to be signed off so you would need a teacher, probably in a school that offers it, and part of the exam is on computer so the school would have to provide a computer to a certain spc to do the exam on. It's not as straightforward to do it outside school currently as other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ trihead

Other subjects do have projects which can be signed off by a teacher for an external student. However the LC computer science course is taught through 4 applied learning tasks (alts) which are done in groups which makes this subject unique. These are not marked but your teacher has to sign on to say they are done. This would prevent you taking it as a external student.

Your brother could either move school (not ideal) or see if another local school would allow him to attend just for CS but it would be tricky enough to get timetables to align even if the school agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭ Treppen

trihead wrote: »
    Other subjects do have projects which can be signed off by a teacher for an external student. However the LC computer science course is taught through 4 applied learning tasks (alts) which are done in groups which makes this subject unique. These are not marked but your teacher has to sign on to say they are done. This would prevent you taking it as a external student.

Your brother could either move school (not ideal) or see if another local school would allow him to attend just for CS but it would be tricky enough to get timetables to align even if the school agreed.

Could the external student find a few other externals to do group work? Like meet up once a week at a coder dojo for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭ Str8outtaWuhan

trihead wrote: »

A quick look at the SEC documentation says none of this is necessary to sit the exam . The only issue would be the project sign off . Same situation as an AG sci, DCG, Engineering or Construction project. Friend is working for PDST in this area and most of the 6th yrs didn't complete their 4 ALT's in groups due to SD and lockdowns, no sign off required and SEC/DES do not provide any forms for the 4 ALT's to be recorded as done.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ trihead

I would suggest contacting CESI - as they are the official subject association. They can advise. WWW.CESI.IE

This year is obviously different with COVID and groupwork - so what is happening this year is going to be different from a normal year.

Not sure if teachers will actually have to sign off in the future but it is mentioned in the subject specification so you don’t know.
    https://ncca.ie/media/3369/computer-science-final-specification.pdf
    P16

Regardless of an ‘official sign’ off or not the school would still need to have room in the computer lab (mentioned above by another poster) - the exam is in May in the school computer lab so there would need to be room for the external student as well as the class (one sit of exam).

Not saying it’s impossible but will be tricky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭ Treppen

I kinda get the impression that the department want to do away with extra subjects outside school timetable.
    We got rapped on the knuckles for having an extra subject outside timetable.
    Music can't be done outside for the junior cert anymore.
    Restriction of only ten subjects for JC.
    Introduction of class based work for CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 academyofcode

SeamusW wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to do the Computer Science subject outside of school, since my brother's school doesn't teach it.

The principal said it would be okay except for the fact it has a project aspect worth 30%, and they wouldn't be able to sign off on it since it's not being supervised.. something like that?

I know other subjects can be done outside of school but I'm not sure if they have a project in them.

Thanks!

Hi Seamus,

From September 2021, we'll be offering facilities for students in non-LCCS schools to take the subject at leaving cert level. We have an expression of interest form on our website which you can add your details to if interested!

I can't add the link as I'm a new user to boards, but if you visit The Academy of Code website, go to 'courses' in the menu dropdown, you'll see LCCS 2021-2023 listed there.

Shout if you have any questions about it :)

Stephen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭ spurious

Is there a charge involved?

Has this been given the OK by the Department?

Advertisement