Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stories / myths in Cork?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A Dutch fella lofted a shot put over the viaduct.
    (or was it a road bowl?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

A Dutch fella lofted a shot put over the viaduct.
    (or was it a road bowl?)

Mick Barry
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0426/870399-road-bowling-in-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

discostu1 wrote: »
    The they were building the Viaduct one of the workers fell to his death there are rails on it and the workers made one of them into a cross at the spot where he fell. I was told that by a man whose people worked on it and who lives very close to it......no idea if its true

There are rail side memorials in a few places to this day dedicated to a worker or member of the public who died at that spot. There's a cross at Limerick Junction and another at Thurles. Usually just a metal cross without any writing.

If it was there it was probably lost when the decking was stripped off.

blindsider wrote: »

Wasn't it a Dutch fella did it?
    Although, as I remember he had a bit of a ramp.

Edit ; twas a German guy did it in 1985, 30 years after Mick Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

opus wrote: »
    Those things got around, a friend of mine sent me a pic of one taken in his garden in Passage at the time. I often jog along the Curraheen River so spent weeks peering along the banks to see if I could spot one but sadly no.

No rumour ref 2 pot river ( murphy's farm) Bishopstown ,2 were caught and trapped there,pictures on echo to prove it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Wasn't it a Dutch fella did it?
    Although, as I remember he had a bit of a ramp.

Edit ; twas a German guy did it in 1985, 30 years after Mick Barry.

German

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There was a story about serial killers living near the railway station in the 1990's. linked with the deaths of 4 young men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Someone wrote a book about it and other cases a while back. Said they were Devil worshipers or such.

I remember that.
    It was assumed at the time that it was drugs related.
    It was colloquially referred to as "silence of the shams".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

saabsaab wrote: »
    There was a story about serial killers living near the railway station in the 1990's. linked with the deaths of 4 young men.

Wasn't one of the bodies found in the woods by Lota? There was a big Garda search at the time, I'm not sure if anything was found.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

The Egyptian Mummy in UCC is not being stored under the floorboards, maybe it was at one point but not anymore.

It's actually in a really accessible place, and I'd bet a lot of people have sat on it without knowing it.

That's all from me though :pac:

Mav11 wrote: »
    Wasn't one of the bodies found in the woods by Lota? There was a big Garda search at the time, I'm not sure if anything was found.

I remember this, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Listen to Mens Rea podcast episode 76. Covers what happens well. There was lots of rumours after this including that some of the bodies were cemented into the Tivoli flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Reggies mansion on the Blackrod Rd doesn't actually cost 4.5 million. It's cheaper than that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Mav11 wrote: »

The gardens of Lota House according to one of the links. It's one of the big houses in the Tivoli hills.

In my head, I always thought he was found further down by the skew bridge, as I remember there was a horrifying smell coming up from the woods back in the mid 90s for months. So bad that we reported it to the Mayfield station up the road from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

Do the Cork city English Market grey heron's know the days of the week?

Can they tell when it's a bank holiday? Myth or fact?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058170982

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

More history than story, but I noticed the large metal crucifix on the N28 today, and was wondering about its origin.

EH0Bt1SX4AQoUPB?format=jpg&name=small

All down to one taxi driver.
    sorenson-1_orig.png

Jack Sorensen (pictured above) constructing the cross in the garden of his home on Victoria Road.

Radharc from 1968. Start at 13m30s:

http://diarmuidlynch.weebly.com/carrs-hill-famine-graveyard.html#:~:text=Jack%20Sorenson's%20Cross,and%20the%20unwanted%20buried%20there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

If you’re heavily pregnant two glasses of Murphy’s will send you into Labour.
    I don’t know what happens in the rest of the country or indeed Cork City where no one drinks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,622 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Does anyone know the real story behind that lake on the right hand side as you go towards Middleton ? It’s the one with a church built next to it. I used to spend my summers in east cork and I’ve heard some stories that can’t be true. I think it’s just before the turn off for ballintotis from that road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Clickclickboom

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Does anyone know the real story behind that lake on the right hand side as you go towards Middleton ? It’s the one with a church built next to it. I used to spend my summers in east cork and I’ve heard some stories that can’t be true. I think it’s just before the turn off for ballintotis from that road.

What stories have you heard ? :)

Strange goings on..

Ali Babba

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C4Kid viewpost.gif
    Thats a fascinating read, I never heard of those stories before I read this post about Fota Island.

It's probably a little disrespectful to say I would like to see if anything appears on that road next time I'm driving back along that road late at night.

I knew a taxi driver who picked up a phantom hitch hiker on the Fota road about thirty years ago, he swore to his dieing day that it really happened and i'd believe him, he wasn't one for making things up. I know of another guy who used to work as a milkman a few years back and about four miles from the Fota road in Cobh he came across a ghostly figure hanging in the air, the figure was about eight feet tall with a hood but no head, scared the life out of him!! There was also a headless horse with the figure too and a lot of people have heard the horse and have been chased by the horse!! His uncle saw the same thing about ten years earlier. It's a very creepy place, any time I pass in my car the temperature plummets and the ice warning alarm goes off in my car even during the day sometimes!!
    Last edited by Ali Babba; 19-03-2011 at 03:09.

Advertisement