Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a bike between €500-600. Are they all pretty much the same?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at that level in the market, i suspect the number of customers who would flip the stem would barely qualify as marginal. i'd think the lack of freedom to rotate the bars could be an issue, but would be curious as to how many would play with the width. you could chop them down if too wide, at least.

the issue of the strength of a weld rather than a bolted clamp, betweem the stem and bars would be a non-starter i reckon. there's going to be roughly a dozen welds on a standard frame and stem anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I have an integrated one piece stem/handlebar on one of my bikes. It looks like I should be able to flip the whole thing but I can't say I've ever wanted to change it to be honest. It's supposed to be a no nonsense city bike for short trips. It's formed differently so I don't know about the weld but it looks tidy and does it's job. I think I might able to fit an integrated light into it too but they probably don't make them anymore.

https://imgur.com/QgeRCSK

And, before you say it, the cables have been sorted out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So I avoided anything with suspension and I'm picking up this next week. Double my original budget :pac:

Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I think that was a good choice - they look good and the spec is spot on for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Cienciano wrote: »
    So I avoided anything with suspension and I'm picking up this next week. Double my original budget :pac:

Thanks for the advice!

Well wear. I’ve the 1st edition Boardman hybrid, still going strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Great looking bike, might recommend it to someone at work who is asking me for advice.

Thargor wrote: »
    Great looking bike, might recommend it to someone at work who is asking me for advice.

I won't lie, the looks played a big part. The 8.8 which I originally linked is 1kg heavier (carbon forks on the 8.9) has one less gear and Tektro brakes instead of shimano. Think that's about it, €120 extra but they're not in stock in my size. Hence the upgrade.
    Cube Hyde is the other belt drive hub gears option in that price range, but none in stock anywhere in Ireland as far as I can see, but the Boardman has good reviews everwhere.

My problem is prolonged research. Of everything. Even buying lights, normally I'd go into a shop and just buy a set. They'll do. But now it's checking about 50 websites and looking for features I didn't even know I needed. Takes 2 hours research 3 nights in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I bought this back light for mine :

Nikomax Smart Light

Its pretty cool, I like it

And here we are, 1 week in and have used it every day.

IMG-20210408-182132.jpg

IMG-20210408-182146.jpg

Advertisement