Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a bike between €500-600. Are they all pretty much the same?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

They all have suspension forks. Don't get a cheap bike with a suspension fork because the fork will be crap and heavy. Plus if you're not riding MTB trails you don't need it.

Get a rigid fork hybrid. Better still, go secondhand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the roughest ground you're going to encounter is canal paths, forget the front shocks. they'll add weight and cost for very little gain.

that said, the roam is only €50 more than the escape 3 disc, and the roam has hydraulic brakes, vs the mechanical ones on the escape, which is a little curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well, forget about front suspension, that's the advice I'm here for! Yeah, makes sense, it wasn't something I was looking for, just happened to be on the ones I picked. But cheers, I'll avoid that.

Here's a few without suspension in that price range. Anything to avoid or anything that looks good?

https://www.mycycle.ie/Giant-Escape-3-2021-p/giantescape3.htm
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Cannondale-Quick-6-Tourney-City-Bike-2021-p/cannondalequick6.htm
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Trek-FX-2-Disc-2021-p/trek7.2d.htm
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Ridgeback-Metro-Vanteo-Bike-p/rbc98.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're all fairly similar, i wouldn't say there's much to choose between them - i suspect a limiting factor for you might be what they have available in your size; this may be more important than small details about spec!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cienciano wrote: »
    Well, forget about front suspension, that's the advice I'm here for! Yeah, makes sense, it wasn't something I was looking for, just happened to be on the ones I picked. But cheers, I'll avoid that.

Here's a few without suspension in that price range. Anything to avoid or anything that looks good?

https://www.mycycle.ie/Giant-Escape-3-2021-p/giantescape3.htm
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Cannondale-Quick-6-Tourney-City-Bike-2021-p/cannondalequick6.htm
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Trek-FX-2-Disc-2021-p/trek7.2d.htm
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Ridgeback-Metro-Vanteo-Bike-p/rbc98.htm

All look pretty similar tbh. The only really difference would be weight and parts so if you can just go to the shop and see which one you like the feel of and take note of the name on the gear mech and google them and you will get a good feel for which bike has the better parts in general

• Advertisement

Yeah, I imagine this entry level standard are all pretty bland run of the mill carbon copy bikes. Cheers for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Searchers wrote: »

I was just going to say decathlon will have something in your budget. A rigid frame wither hydrid flat bar or drop bar gravel would be the best bet I'd have thought.

Here's more or less the drop bar version gravel version of the above. €610

https://www.decathlon.ie/road-cycling-bikes/312397-76421-rc-120-disc-gravel-adventure-bike-microshift.html#/demodelsize-200xs/demodelcolor-8575940?queryID=0061033a92626dfd0c7284b3d5160bf3&objectID=2962864

rc-120-disc-gravel-adventure-bike-microshift.jpg?&f=800x800

Hey, a bit different to what I requested. Am I an idiot for even thinking of this?

"One look at the Boardman URB 8.8 and you're not really thinking towpath ambles and parkland potters."

https://road.cc/content/review/246772-boardman-urb-88

• Advertisement

OK, need to calm down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Hey, a bit different to what I requested. Am I an idiot for even thinking of this?

That's a class bike. Boardman are decent. And it's a belt-driven one too. You'll like that. I've something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

This looks ideal. Very low maintenance. Hub gears, hydraulic brakes, belt drive will perform consistently well without touching them for ages allowing you to worry about cycling it. Throw on a set of mudguards if you want. Away you go. Right job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

How about this? :-)

s-l1600.jpg

This looks ideal. Very low maintenance. Hub gears, hydraulic brakes, belt drive will perform consistently well without touching them for ages allowing you to worry about cycling it. Throw on a set of mudguards if you want. Away you go. Right job.

Yeah looks cool too! Low maintenance would be nice.

Btw, I had that Ian brown avatar long before he turned into a antivax nutbag

Surprised they didn't go with the same "one piece" bars/stem on that Boardman that they have on the other bikes in the 2021 HYB range.

Check them out

390014e?w=740&h=555&qlt=75&fmt=webp&v=1

They look nice till you see the weld and realise they just welded the bars to the stem for looks and removed a lot of adjustment from them :rolleyes:

Surprised they didn't go with the same "one piece" bars/stem on that Boardman that they have on the other bikes in the 2021 HYB range.

Check them out

They look nice till you see the weld and realise they just welded the bars to the stem for looks and removed a lot of adjustment from them :rolleyes:

I'm cautious about the welds on those bike frames let alone a weld holding the bars on. WT actual F were they thinking there, I mean what could possibly go wrong. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Have you thought about an electric pedal assist bike? You can use the bike to work scheme and depending on you circumstances can pay 750 on a 1500 euro bike. AND they're great crack, you'll use it more often than you would a normal push bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

"One look at the Boardman URB 8.8 and you're not really thinking towpath ambles and parkland potters."

https://road.cc/content/review/246772-boardman-urb-88

That's a lovely looking Boardman hybrid and a very complimentary review from Roac CC.

Paintjob is absolutely fab.

Have you thought about an electric pedal assist bike? You can use the bike to work scheme and depending on you circumstances can pay 750 on a 1500 euro bike. AND they're great crack, you'll use it more often than you would a normal push bike.

No, it's for fitness so no need for electric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I'd go for something with x1 gearing (i.e. only one chainring as opposed to a double or a triple at the pedals). So much easier to use and maintain. Front mechs, especially at the cheaper end of the spectrum, are prone to rubbing and sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'm cautious about the welds on those bike frames let alone a weld holding the bars on. WT actual F were they thinking there, I mean what could possibly go wrong. :eek:

Boardman have been making bikes a long time now, seriously I don't see any issue at all with a welded bar/stem combo. Stems are normally welded together in 3 spots so not sure where your concern is coming from with another weld for the bar.

Boardman have been making bikes a long time now, seriously I don't see any issue at all with a welded bar/stem combo. Stems are normally welded together in 3 spots so not sure where your concern is coming from with another weld for the bar.

You don't happen to own a boardman by chance. :D I've no issue with the brand but that stem/bar set up is ridiculous and clearly done as a money saving exercise.

You don't happen to own a boardman by chance. :D I've no issue with the brand but that stem/bar set up is ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? Ridiculous is having a separate face plate and 4 bolts, a 1 piece has less moving parts and easier to maintain.

Why is it ridiculous? Ridiculous is having a separate face plate and 4 bolts, a 1 piece has less moving parts and easier to maintain.

Ok. I guess we'll give oval wheels a lash next. :rolleyes: Anyway enough dragging this one off topic.

Ok. I guess we'll give oval wheels a lash next. :rolleyes: Anyway enough dragging this one off topic.

What, your making no sense now comparing it to oval wheels. If welds bother you so much then stay away from steel or aluminium bikes or parts.

The boardman bike is fine with no issues with the set-up and I'd gladly ride it with the 1 piece bar/stem

Typical the Boardman is only available with a large frame size which is probably too big. Might pop in and try the large one if possible.

try it, but don't be tempted if you like the bike but it's too big for you.

try it, but don't be tempted if you like the bike but it's too big for you.

Yeah, good advice. After a few weeks you'd be cursing it! They said they had no plans of getting in a medium frame which means as soon as I buy something they'll have the medium in stock and €100 off :pac:

• Advertisement

My issue with these was that they removed most opportunity for adjustment to say reach etc and with a standard stem you can flip it if you wanted. Also might be problematic re: mounts for various things. What if the width of the bars don't suit?

One piece bar/stems have their place when someone is buying them to size for a specific bike, I don't think they have a place on a bike at the entry level end of the market in a one size fits all fashion.

I think it's a misstep from them on some of the 2021 bikes, usually they are very decent value for money.

Advertisement