Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Installers of room for simulator

  • 11-03-2021 1:49pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ Leax


    Hi all, I've read through the simulator threads for recommendations but haven't found anything.
    We want to get a foresight installation and need a room built in the garden for it. We need a full service end to end as not a bit handy. I've looked at the likes of garden rooms and getting the internal head height isn't possible. Just wondering if anyone would have possible businesses for me to check out. Am in Dublin. Thanks!


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ Golfgraffix


    Leax wrote: »
    Hi all, I've read through the simulator threads for recommendations but haven't found anything.
    We want to get a foresight installation and need a room built in the garden for it. We need a full service end to end as not a bit handy. I've looked at the likes of garden rooms and getting the internal head height isn't possible. Just wondering if anyone would have possible businesses for me to check out. Am in Dublin. Thanks!

    Try JP at simulatedsports


  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ Golfhead65


    Leax wrote: »
    Hi all, I've read through the simulator threads for recommendations but haven't found anything.
    We want to get a foresight installation and need a room built in the garden for it. We need a full service end to end as not a bit handy. I've looked at the likes of garden rooms and getting the internal head height isn't possible. Just wondering if anyone would have possible businesses for me to check out. Am in Dublin. Thanks!

    https://foresightsports.eu/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Quad_Golf_Simualtor_Home.jpg


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 21,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Kiith


    I assume a setup like the above would be what, €30k?

    Feck having a cinema or bowling alley in your house, that is the way to go.


  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭ ClutchIt


    Wow, it would be a dream to have something like this.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭ BrianD3


    Have you considered the planning permission that might be needed for such a building. The headroom required could cause a significant difficulty. I started a thread about this in the Construction forum and while a few ideas were bounced around, I didn't really come up with a solution

    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114420981

    I was subsequently in touch with architects about this and got nowhere. Job probably too small yet also requires some thought. So I have parked the idea. Can anyone recommend an architect/technician that understands the requirements for a golf cabin and has done this work before.

    In the unlikely event that you have a lot of headroom in your attic, consider putting it up there

    Google photos of golf simulator sheds that others have built and and try to imagine how well they would fit in your garden without looking like a monstrosity or falling foul of the planning authority.

    E.g.
    IMG_4802-image.jpg


  • Advertisement
  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    @BrianD3

    What are your particular issues. 3m height is plenty for swinging a golf club.
    If you keep overall under 25 sqm and height for a flat roof is 3m no PP?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭ BrianD3


    3 metres interior height would be enough but the 3 metres max height for exempted development is for the exterior height. That will be eaten into by the floor/plinth, hitting mat, roof supports, the slope of the "flat" roof and possibly interior netting/padding to protect the roof from skyed shots.

    Also, depending on where the building is located on the site it may have to match the finish of the main house so throwing up a steel shed or wooden cabin isn't necessary going to comply.

    Then there's the question of whether preexisting sheds/garages eat into the 25 sq metre exempt development limit - even if these preexisting buildings have planning permission.

    Of course I might be over thinking it but I do think some professional advice and design might be useful.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ Golfgraffix


    One of the guys I know at Foresight built his own. To get around the planning issue he built down into the garden first.

    Some pics and the story here.

    https://foresightsports.eu/foresightlife/underground-garden-simulator/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Underground-Garden-Simulator

    J


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1


    Purist of golf porn


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 21,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Kiith


    I'd build that tomorrow if i had the money. Looks fantastic. It would really have helped a lot of us through this lockdown.


  • Advertisement
  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    BrianD3 wrote: »
    3 metres interior height would be enough but the 3 metres max height for exempted development is for the exterior height. That will be eaten into by the floor/plinth, hitting mat, roof supports, the slope of the "flat" roof and possibly interior netting/padding to protect the roof from skyed shots.

    Also, depending on where the building is located on the site it may have to match the finish of the main house so throwing up a steel shed or wooden cabin isn't necessary going to comply.

    Then there's the question of whether preexisting sheds/garages eat into the 25 sq metre exempt development limit - even if these preexisting buildings have planning permission.

    Of course I might be over thinking it but I do think some professional advice and design might be useful.

    Yep you're probably overthinking it. Especially about your preexisting garage. The image I posted was from loghouse.ie. Maybe just give them a call.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭ BrianD3


    soffregio wrote: »
    Yep you're probably overthinking it. Especially about your preexisting garage. The image I posted was from loghouse.ie. Maybe just give them a call.
    I had a look at their website - the FAQ on planning permission would not inspire confidence. Very muddled. They do at least say that PP is the responsibility of the client which it is. Asking a supplier to give advice on it would be like asking a barber if you need a haircut.

    As a result of the height issue, a golf cabin is going to be trickier and more expensive than a standard shed or garden room. You don't want to end up carrying out works or applying for retention because the roof is 5 cm too high.

    Digging out a sunken floor makes life a lot easier from a planning and aesthetics pov but given soil conditions in Ireland this isn't work that can be undertaken lightly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ Leax


    Thanks all.

    @BrianD3 I had a look at your thread thanks. I found that example of the sloped shed on my internet travels, hard to know for me anyway how high you'd need the pitch to start and what the gradient over what length would need to be.

    @GolfGraffix I saw that! I briefly explored swimming pool contractors in Ireland on the back of it:)


    It seems around 2.7 is the minimum internal height you need for the floor models, unless you're very tall or have a wild swing arc maybe. This seems possible with some cabin/shed options, but for garden room type installations you're still looking at 320-330 external height for a 2.7 internal, 3.6 for 3m internal clear.

    Am looking more at Optishot and IXO models now rather than trackman and Foresight.


    Separate question- one thing I see coming up on forums is people looking for help with managing the noise from their golf rooms/complaints from neighbours. Is this something more an issue with simpler net set ups rather than the higher end screens? or is it just the ball hitting alone that's not great sound wise in residential areas? Don't want to get a purpose build and then find it's annoying people in the next garden.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭ benny79


    Leax wrote: »
    Thanks all.

    @BrianD3 I had a look at your thread thanks. I found that example of the sloped shed on my internet travels, hard to know for me anyway how high you'd need the pitch to start and what the gradient over what length would need to be.

    @GolfGraffix I saw that! I briefly explored swimming pool contractors in Ireland on the back of it:)


    It seems around 2.7 is the minimum internal height you need for the floor models, unless you're very tall or have a wild swing arc maybe. This seems possible with some cabin/shed options, but for garden room type installations you're still looking at 320-330 external height for a 2.7 internal, 3.6 for 3m internal clear.

    Am looking more at Optishot and IXO models now rather than trackman and Foresight.


    Separate question- one thing I see coming up on forums is people looking for help with managing the noise from their golf rooms/complaints from neighbours. Is this something more an issue with simpler net set ups rather than the higher end screens? or is it just the ball hitting alone that's not great sound wise in residential areas? Don't want to get a purpose build and then find it's annoying people in the next garden.


    Get a good carpenter to built you a wooden shed big enough. Thats what Im doing over the summer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭ searay


    Leax wrote: »
    Thanks all.

    @BrianD3 I had a look at your thread thanks. I found that example of the sloped shed on my internet travels, hard to know for me anyway how high you'd need the pitch to start and what the gradient over what length would need to be.

    @GolfGraffix I saw that! I briefly explored swimming pool contractors in Ireland on the back of it:)




    It seems around 2.7 is the minimum internal height you need for the floor models, unless you're very tall or have a wild swing arc maybe. This seems possible with some cabin/shed options, but for garden room type installations you're still looking at 320-330 external height for a 2.7 internal, 3.6 for 3m internal clear.

    Am looking more at Optishot and IXO models now rather than trackman and Foresight.


    Separate question- one thing I see coming up on forums is people looking for help with managing the noise from their golf rooms/complaints from neighbours. Is this something more an issue with simpler net set ups rather than the higher end screens? or is it just the ball hitting alone that's not great sound wise in residential areas? Don't want to get a purpose build and then find it's annoying people in the next garden.

    If you’re thinking of building to house a simulator, you need to forget about optishot. It’s fine for kids but not comparable to the GC Quad or Trackman systems you originally mentioned. The EXO system looks cool but I’ve never seen it in action.

    Skytrak is what I went for and it’s what most people go for as a good home user option that work with TGC2019.

    If you are building the ideal set up would have an internal height of 3m, and at least 3m wide, 5 metres in length but longer is better to have room if you’re having a 4 ball.


  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ Leax


    Thanks Searay, are you talking about the Optishot Vision model or an older optishot? Just wondering if the newer Optishots that they say are comparable are better than earlier stuff


  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭ searay


    Leax wrote: »
    Thanks Searay, are you talking about the Optishot Vision model or an older optishot? Just wondering if the newer Optishots that they say are comparable are better than earlier stuff


    I was talking about Optishot 2 which is around €600. I see The Optishot vision is selling for around 17,000 sterling and I haven’t come across it. Has to be totally different. At that price, it has to compete against Trackman and GC Quad


  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭ Innish_Rebel


    searay wrote: »
    I was talking about Optishot 2 which is around €600. I see The Optishot vision is selling for around 17,000 sterling and I haven’t come across it. Has to be totally different. At that price, it has to compete against Trackman and GC Quad


    Yeah I was about to point out the same thing - I had not seen the other optishot...


    In general the options are:
    Level 1: Optishot - cheap entry level < €1,000 more of a "game" than game improvement



    level 2: Skytrak/Mevo+ - next level up €2,000 or so, in general the bang for your buck here is exceptional in both units, the accuracy levels are really close.


    Level 3: Uneekor (& this other optishot I guess) >€10,000. Getting a bit more data etc.



    Level 4: Trackman/GC quad etc... price I never bothered looking in any serious way as I'd never justify that price without winning Lotto



    I went with Skytrak myself - very happy with usage to date (except so many cracked golf balls from use!!!)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭ bailey99


    i was looking into this and for a steeltech shed building and putting a simulator in there, foresight are quoting 20k sterling for Performance Simulator with GC2 launch monitor. Is that the price of these things?

    I didnt think it would be that much. Does anyone have a breakdown of the costs for each element of a simulator? I thought for 7 or 8 grand you would get a nice setup.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ Leax


    I'm looking at similar at the moment, a steeltech garage with increased wall height and pitch roof, with insulation board. Am wondering would it be very noisy though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ dazzday


    bailey99 wrote: »
    i was looking into this and for a steeltech shed building and putting a simulator in there, foresight are quoting 20k sterling for Performance Simulator with GC2 launch monitor. Is that the price of these things?

    I didnt think it would be that much. Does anyone have a breakdown of the costs for each element of a simulator? I thought for 7 or 8 grand you would get a nice setup.

    I looked into this as well and very tempted considering I have the impact screen and PC already.
    I think you could get a nice basic setup for ~€3k that would give you room to upgrade parts in the future:

    Mevo+ - €2300 (has 6 free E6 sim courses on IOS and no yearly fee vs skytrak which has yearly fee for sim play)
    Ipad (8th Gen) - €300-400 (to use free IOS courses)
    Good Quality Range Mat - €300-400 (wouldnt skimp here)
    Hitting Net €100 /Archery Screen (Can project onto this but expect quality wont be great) €150

    Upgrade parts:
    Projector (€500+?)
    Impact projector screen ( €300+ depending on HD quality)
    PC with GPU (€500+)
    Full enclosure (homemade) - Couple of hundred?
    Additional Sim Software (TCG €900 one off, E6 €300 per year)

    So you are probably talking €5k for a full setup - and possibly more if you want to go full out fancy.
    Biggest issue is the Mevo leadtime is min 4 weeks and Skytrak even longer


  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ Leax


    What dimensions were you looking at for the steeltech? Length, width and what height were you looking at having the side walls, was it 3m before adding pitched roof?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭ thecomedian


    Just letting you know the lead time in the Mevo plus will be about 8 weeks. I’m fairly sure the Skytrak will be the same.


  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭ searay


    Leax wrote: »
    What dimensions were you looking at for the steeltech? Length, width and what height were you looking at having the side walls, was it 3m before adding pitched roof?

    When considering the ceiling height, you need to consider screen layout as well.

    Assuming you are right handed, ideally you want your target line to be aimed at the middle of the screen. That means if you are right handed, you''ll be standing left if the target line and the highest points of your swing will be behind you.

    I have my skytrak located in a shed with a sloping roof which is about 2.55m on the right and side of the screen and it slopes up to 3m on the left giving me enough clearance for a driver.

    If the centre was 3m and the sides were 2.4/2.5 metres, I'd have minimal clearance and I don't think you could swing freely. Rick Shiels posted a video of himself breaking a driver in his Sim room and I think if that happens you'd be too conscious of it to commit to a swing.

    On the costs above, if you buy a skytrak, you need to buy TGC 2019, a good short throw projector and have a PC with an nvidia graphics card to meet the required spec. I'd add another €1,000 onto the budget above.


  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ Leax


    searay wrote: »
    When considering the ceiling height, you need to consider screen layout as well.

    Assuming you are right handed, ideally you want your target line to be aimed at the middle of the screen. That means if you are right handed, you''ll be standing left if the target line and the highest points of your swing will be behind you.

    I have my skytrak located in a shed with a sloping roof which is about 2.55m on the right and side of the screen and it slopes up to 3m on the left giving me enough clearance for a driver.

    If the centre was 3m and the sides were 2.4/2.5 metres, I'd have minimal clearance and I don't think you could swing freely. Rick Shiels posted a video of himself breaking a driver in his Sim room and I think if that happens you'd be too conscious of it to commit to a swing.

    On the costs above, if you buy a skytrak, you need to buy TGC 2019, a good short throw projector and have a PC with an nvidia graphics card to meet the required spec. I'd add another €1,000 onto the budget above.

    Thanks seaway. The steel tech garages can go up to 3m wall height plus shallow pitch roof


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭ BrianD3


    Re: steel sheds, I think a shed with a 3 metre external wall height could look incongruous on many residential sites. If it's a large site and/or the house is a two storey then less so. Personally, I would not particularly want to look out into my back garden and see some big green steel shed that height there.

    From a planning (exempted development) pov, if the shed is going to have a pitched roof over 3 metres at the apex it needs to be slated or tiled, would a cladding that looks like slate or tile do, I don't know.

    If the shed is to the side of the house the finish must match that of the house so not only are you into tiling/slating but also some sort of rendered cladding for the walls of the shed.

    That's not to say that people comply with the planning regs, i see loads of sheds around that I bet are non compliant in some way. I would say though that a golf shed, unless very well sound insulated is more likely than an average shed to annoy neighbours which can easily result in a planning complaint going in.

    The more I think about this, the more I like the idea of digging below ground level for a golf shed. I don't know if there are any planning implications associated with doing that. Digging down, say, 1/2 a metre would solve most of the wall height, appearance and roofing issues.


  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ Leax


    BrianD3 wrote: »
    Re: steel sheds, I think a shed with a 3 metre external wall height could look incongruous on many residential sites. If it's a large site and/or the house is a two storey then less so. Personally, I would not particularly want to look out into my back garden and see some big green steel shed that height there.

    From a planning (exempted development) pov, if the shed is going to have a pitched roof over 3 metres at the apex it needs to be slated or tiled, would a cladding that looks like slate or tile do, I don't know.

    If the shed is to the side of the house the finish must match that of the house so not only are you into tiling/slating but also some sort of rendered cladding for the walls of the shed.

    That's not to say that people comply with the planning regs, i see loads of sheds around that I bet are non compliant in some way. I would say though that a golf shed, unless very well sound insulated is more likely than an average shed to annoy neighbours which can easily result in a planning complaint going in.

    The more I think about this, the more I like the idea of digging below ground level for a golf shed. I don't know if there are any planning implications associated with doing that. Digging down, say, 1/2 a metre would solve most of the wall height, appearance and roofing issues.


    Hi Brian, thanks for all that. I share all your concerns, and the one in my context that I really amn’t sure about is the noise. I have a long garden and the site for the shed would be between mature trees and hedging on 3 sides and in slate colour so I can manage those aspects relatively well and look at additional camouflaging if required. I can get an insulated shed and would like to look in to whether any suppliers would fit it out with sound insulation as well as thermal, but again without testing it out I don’t know how well that would work in terms of being a nuisance.
    I am exploring the digging down and tanking option as well at the moment, more in terms of a building rather dropping a shed in.


  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ SOR2010


    I currently have a Skytrak but am considering changing to Full Swing Kit (depending on more info being available) but it could be a game changer in the market if they deliver what the promise, should have more information in 2 weeks!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭ Euphoriasean


    SOR2010 wrote: »
    I currently have a Skytrak but am considering changing to Full Swing Kit (depending on more info being available) but it could be a game changer in the market if they deliver what the promise, should have more information in 2 weeks!

    It really could be particularly at that price point. Having it endorsed by Tiger is huge. As you say it has a lot of promises to deliver.


Advertisement