Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

So? The team with advantage isnt running down the clock. Its the same for teams who are behind and have advantage as well. The ref and the team themselves have the ability to go back to the penalty at any time. I dont see it as exasperating. I dont see a change because limiting advantage in the laws by time limit or number of phases is much more unfair.

Advantage must be clear and obvious. If you were within 30 metres of line and get a penalty in pro rugby your kicker will score from a placed kick the vast majority of times so you will continue for a while and if there isnt a score then you go back.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've looked it up and, although it can seem like several minutes, the longest advantage (as of last year at least) was just 90 seconds in England v Wales in last year's 6N, which is the same as the time allowed to take a conversion.

Maybe it's not that big a deal, it just irritates me and a lot of the people I watch with

• Subscribers Posts: 41,379 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yeah its simple confirmation bias... it seems longer when trying to recall after the fact, but in reality theres no big issue with this. there are many many other aspects of the game which need more immediate action than this one in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Defensive infringements need to be punished. I like the advantage system as it is. It's the repeated infringements with no card that drive me nuts. Officials ref this differently, imo. Sometimes, it seems that the advantage is too short, especially if a team is around midfield. Advantage in a scoring position seems longer, imo.

No injury update this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

No fixtures so no update necessary. There was none last week either

I've a biceps injury and will be unavailable for training this week.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

That wasn’t the kind of indulgence Venjur is known for that would lead to bicep injury.

Lowe and DVDM tries all in one afternoon did me rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

They dont run down the clock though. Theyre trying something. usually doesnt come off and yes the advantage will be declared over and we go back to penalty because of another infringement be it knock on or hands in ruck etc i dont see it as exasperating and certainly dont see any better alternatives like totally changing the laws of the game.

can mods please move these posts to laws thread?

We might get Kelleher back v Dragons, if he is unavailable this week.

Someone on another forum saying Soroka to Munster! That's a loss. He is going to be superb. If Leinster don't do everything they can to hold onto him, they're thick cnuts.

I don't get the logic in the move either for him. There's not exactly a dearth of talented players in the queue there at the moment too for game time between second rows and back rows, with another two good back rows on this year's Ireland U20s team.

I guess nothing is confirmed yet though, so wait and see.

If true, that's Soroka and O'Brien exiting. That's a lot of good talent leaving. Bearing in mind that Ruddock is in the twilight of his career, you'd think they'd shyte gold nuggets for him to keep him.

I'd rate Soroka as good as Prendergast at Connacht. O'Brien not as high but still a good player. What are Ulster doing ? Why wouldn't they try to pull one of these lads?

Frawley pictured doing deadlifts with a trap bar today. Would assume that means he’s fairly far along on his recovery. When’s he due back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

What does "Soroka to Munster" actually mean? They're targeting him, he wants to go, it's a done deal, what?

And is the "thick cnuts" thing necessary? Of course Leinster will do everything they can to hold on to him but if he wants first team rugby, they can't give him that.

I believe it's necessary! Only cos I'm mildly insufficient mentally. Lol. Apologies if u are offended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Maybe, he developed a relationship with Leamy, or Leamy really rates him. He saw him firsthand.

i think there is a gap ish at 6 at munster or at least 6s like Soroka .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's 22 next week. He has 35 minutes of rugby this season. There's a complete bottle neck in Leinster of back row players.

Leinster cannot guarantee him game time at the expense of guys like Doris, Ruddock, Martin Moloney and Baird all of whom have more game time this season. Ruddock is the old man of the group and only turned 32 in November so has another couple of years left at least.

He has also had his injuries. If Soroka wants to leave, it might well be the best for all parties. I'm sure Leinster will offer him a deal but I also assume it will be financially aligned with how much they need him.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,379 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If leinster offer him a deal, then aren't Munster precluded from increasing that offer?

That's the way things have been hinted at previously.

So all Munster will be able to offer off increased playing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Fairly sure there are ways around that. I think it was Mike McCarthy who said before in an interview that a team can offer a deal first and they're not outbidding anyone. I'm sure there are other ways to navigate it also.

Regardless, I'd think that any other offer's trump card would be game time.

Munster produce a glut of abrasive, mobile flankers with high work rate who are 6' - 6'3" and anything between 102kg to 108kg. They have them coming out their ears. Kendellan, Hodnett, Jack Daly, JOD, POM and Jack O'Sullivan are all in the senior squad currently and in that bracket.

Fineen Wycherley is the only guy who is in the same mould as Soroka in terms of shape but Soroka potentially has a higher ceiling and is more dynamic; Wycherley has played almost exclusively as a lock in the last couple of seasons. There's definitely a gap in the Munster set up for a bigger unit in the back row who offers a good jumping option and mobility around the park.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

TIL Soroka was actually born in Cork.

Soonish I would hope.

But trap bar DLs don't tell too much. Compound lifts are good to see but in terms of a knee injury you can get back into deadlifts reasonably soon as they're pretty much single plane exercises.

You're some piece of work sometimes Dub.

Imagine calling the team you allegedly support "thick ****" because of a situation that a) may not be true b) may be entirely out of their control and c) have much more moving parts than a fan of your insights could understand.

And then doubling down with the classic "sorry you got offended". That phrase speaks to me of a person whose spent too long in the States listening to certain politicians....

Soroka is in the academy. Leinster will offer him a senior deal. Munster will match said senior deal and whisper promises to him about more game time, building a squad around him, Rowntree is taking the team in a different direction etc. etc.

In terms of Soroka himself. He'd be mad not to at least consider it. Looking at Munster - there's space in there for a 4/6 Hybrid to get a rake of minutes. Fineen Wycherly has 89 caps for Munster filling that role. Soroka can expect to jump him reasonably quickly as he develops as he has a much stronger athletic profile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Soroka would be an enormous loss to Leinster imo. Not so much for his on pitch ability, he is obviously a big prospect but that is relatively replaceable. Just looking at 4/6s, Baird, Prendergast, and Soroka were born in consecutive years, with just a one year break before Diarmuid Mangan. What Leinster don't produce is outwardly expressive, emotive players. Obviously the likes of Ringrose and VDF are fantastic players and ambassadors for Leinster but I do think players like Soroka have a tangible benefit to fan engagement, even if it's hard to quantify.

Lol! Thanx biscuits. It's frustrating me. No offense intended. Yes, I support Leinster and yes, I like others on here, voice strong opinions. In my opinion, Soroka is a potential test cap player and is better in the long term than Maloney, Ruddock and Baird. I believe that retaining him is vital.

Why is politics being brought into this? I don't listen to politics. I don't watch any of the supposed late night shows, talk shows , CNN, fox are any of this. Do you? Are you suggesting that the fact that I'm living in Massachusetts means that I am influenced by the nut job politics here?

Are you influenced by the politicians in Ireland? Bizarre statement biscuits. My opinions are my own and not derived by some corrupt, trough feeding, inept politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Soroka might be the most overhyped player on this thread. What has he shown to be on par with Prendergast who is regularly being picked in Ireland squads?

Advertisement