Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I thought he was playing with Clontarf after Ulster let him go.

Wonder will see Ruddock covering second row again at any stage.

Yeah, you're right, he is playing some AIL for Clontarf this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I always thought ulster should have kept him and got rid of Carter. Think some Ulster fans might agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Nucifora leaving after next Olympics in '24. Leo to HP Director then ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think Leo came out and said he signed for 2 years for stability in the club at a time when Stuart Lancaster is leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Is Jenkins on a 1 year deal? If he gets a better offer elsewhere..... Charlie Ryan retiring is not ideal. Dunne won't come back to hold tackle bags! I reckon Soroka will play some 2nd row. Unless we can sign a NIQ.

So we'll be flogging Molony, getting minutes into Deeny and have Ryan and McCarthy missing for periods of the season. Unless there's a signing, it will be Soroka/ Ruddock or even Baird moved back into 2nd row.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think a Hayden triggs type squad player is what's needed. Experienced, rugged pro who is happy to be 2/3rd choice

Delighted that Leo is signed up.

We've produced many 2nd rows throughout the last few years. Unfortunately, there's not the minutes to go round.

2014 Ross Molony, 1st xxiii

2015, Josh Murphy. Squad player. Left for Connacht.

2016, James Ryan

2017, Jack Regan. No academy, with Ospreys. Oisin Dowling left for Connacht.

2018. Jack Dunne, left for Exeter.

2019. Deeny getting minutes. Charlie Ryan retired. Baird, lock/ backrow.

2021. Joe McCarthy.

We've lost several to other sides and Jenkins was bought in. We are light indeed. If Jenkins isn't returning we will need another signing.

• Advertisement

That's what came to mind when the signing was announced. Any interviews with the players on the matter have made it clear just how valued Lancaster is to the setup.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Leinster v Ulster on April 1st, 5:30pm. Competition rules say away team entitled to 10% of tickets at this stage but Leinster have apparently agreed to increase the Ulster allocation, which is good imo and hopefully will result in a better atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

5.30 on a Saturday, can't ask for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Constantly listening to media talking about Leinster falling short again once they meet "big packs". Fine, its good to assess the team critically. But can people please stop using Toulouse as the example when we have clearly been the better team the last 4+ times we have met them (including, imo, the time we lost away to them). Such an annoying trope

I was listening to Provincial State of Mind (probably for the last time) earlier and they were talking about this, who would be a bad matchup for Leinster etc, and having talking about Leinster's issues at the set piece they put forward Toulouse as the team to beat in Europe. Now maybe that'll prove true, but the Toulouse scrum was on skates (the scrum being Leinster's achilles heel apparently) against Munster and Leinster absolutely annihilated Toulouse the last time the two side met. There seemed to be a fair lack of joined up thinking.

They also seemed to completely forget Leinster went over to Leicester last season in the QF and won, that must not count as a test, beating the team who went on to win the premiership in their own back garden. Maybe Leinster will go and win it this season, maybe they won't, but I'm also getting a bit tired of the "not tested" think as well. Racing are basically right next to La Rochelle in the Top 14 table, Leinster have beaten a full strength Munster team twice, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭durthacht

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭crisco10

While I agree with everything you say, I still prefer these types of conversations to "Leinster are unbeatable, nothing will stop them" conversations!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Leinster have beaten a full strength Munster team twice, etc.

I see where you're coming from with this tbh, but just for the sake of accuracy, Munster were decimate by injury for the game in the Aviva; they were nowhere near full strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

You're not going to get an objective opinion on Leinster from 3 Munster fans who unapologetically despise Leinster. And by hyping up Toulouse, they're making Munster look good by only being beaten by a score by them.

Yeah this is definitely true and that topic has been discussed on here before with how much coverage Leinster get vs Munster vs Ulster on the likes of OTB. However, I do also prefer when the conversation doesn't trip over itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

You will find someone in the media mentions something and then the rest will continue with the same point non stop. This started in 2019 when Leinster lost in Newcastle v a very good Saracens teams. The next season they blew everyone away and then covid hit, meaning when rugby started again they came up against a lesser Sarries team but still an excellent team and lost. The scrum was a mess that day and based on that everyone has decided the issue is a "strong pack".

Since then Leinster have won against all sorts of sizes of packs yet the same point is fired out and totally ignore the fact they have beaten these bigger teams, prior to the Racing game away the talk was all about Leinster struggling. They won and then it was another reason to discount that pack. The loss v La Rochelle last year was not because of the pack and Leinster was 2 min away from winning. The loss v the Bulls was because the lineout totally failed

The Leinster pack is alot of the irish pack yet we are told to ignore they could stand up against the SA pack earlier in season and done ok v the French away last season, I think you get my point. Needless to say, if Leinster lose a game the same journalist will fire out something about "da pack"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Agreed. Its not actually even the specific point itself that annoys me. Its just a glaring example of the echo chamber that is the Irish media. Someone makes a point and then it is repeated ad naseum. If someone applied just a scintilla of critical thinking they could actually add to the wider discussion. There are loads of other examples.

This was another fairly incoherent point from the podcast. Said Leinster were one of the best teams in the world over the first three phases, but also that the Bulls were a bad match-up for Leinster, but completely failed to acknowledge the lineout meltdown Leinster had that day, which is the primary source of first phase attacking ball. I think it was 4 or 5 lineouts fluffed in their 22 that day? Even worse than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I didn’t see that game but are the bulls good defensively in the lineout? If a team was really good at the first three phases and strike plays, i’d imagine that if they do lose, it would be because their lineout doesn’t work. Maybe that’s what they meant?

On this topic, i think Leinster look like a better team this year. Anyone can lose but they would need some kind of front five injury crisis for me to predict a loss. Same applies to all teams obviously.

There's not much difference between the top 3 or 4 teams. I'm interested to see how far the S.A sides go.

Bearing in mind our own errors cost us the champions cup last year, it's fair to say that Leinster fronted up against LA Rochelle's pack.

No clue as to how this year's will play out! I think the Sharks could go all the way. My concern for Leinster is, we've been playing very well without any real fall off in standards. Can this be continued?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Shehal

You must not have watched much of the Sharks if you think they are going to get anywhere near the URC or CC title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Shehal

But crucially, and most importantly, arent a good side collectively. Still have A-LOT to prove if they want to be anywhere near the same bracket as a side like Leinster never mind the teams just below them.

Advertisement