Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweet or Savoury or both - which are you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Female and both.

However I’d be inclined to get a bit sick of something sweet, I’d be able to eat something savoury until fit to burst!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Male and I'd automatically say savoury but in recent years I'm developing a sweet tooth for biscuits and jellies and dark chocolate.

Saying that, I mostly like sweet things less sweet and don't often go for dessert.
    So, probably 80/20 savoury/sweet but that may change with time.

I love sour things, too - especially beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We have 1 Other. As they say, there’s always one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,088 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

cee_jay wrote: »
    100% savoury. I don't really chocolate, or sweet things. In a restaurant, my dream dessert is a cheeseboard. And I'm all about the crisps as a snack food.

You sound ideal...
    Marry me? :)

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭sporina

Thanks again for all the replies..

So, I know that genetics play a role in influencing some of our taste preferences, as well as a number of other factors like diet, hormones, culture etc but definitely habit.. and for me, I am sure its one of the biggest contributors to my long standing sweet tooth..

I have always had something sweet after dinner, started at home - came home from school to a 3 course meal almost every day.. home made apple pie, baked alaska etc.. so I blame my Mum (bless her she's great)..

What about you? Can you establish the reason why you might crave something in particular, or a factor that might be contributing to it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Apparently when I was a baby, I wouldn’t eat enough. My mum, in her anxiety, put some honey in my bottle to try and entice me. It did the job, according to her. She thinks that might be where my sweet tooth came from, but there’s a chicken and egg argument about whether it was always there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

We have 1 Other. As they say, there’s always one! :D
    That'll be me. It was before Female/no favourite, but also, in retrospect, BOTH are my favourite, don't make me choose.

Faith wrote: »
    Apparently when I was a baby, I wouldn’t eat enough. My mum, in her anxiety, put some honey in my bottle to try and entice me. It did the job, according to her. She thinks that might be where my sweet tooth came from, but there’s a chicken and egg argument about whether it was always there.

from what I have read, its not black and white - a lot of factors play a role.. but as sugar is addictive and we are creatures of habit i'd say your sweetened bottled played a role - although mayb you had a predisposition already..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I was mad into sweets as a child, but I'd also drink the vinegar off the pickled onions too.

I was mad into sweets as a child, but I'd also drink the vinegar off the pickled onions too.

lollll.. I like your humour..

Oh boards is a bit of craic in these humdrum days,..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Female, and I'd say I'm 70:30 savoury over sweet.

I do eat sweet things, but I'd be much more picky with them than with savoury foods. For example, you could have 5 bars of Cadbury's chocolate lying right in front of me after I'd not eaten the whole day, and I wouldn't touch them. But I would definitely eat a large slice of homemade apple pie even after I've just finished a massive dinner.
    That said, I don't usually do desserts at all. They weren't a thing for me growing up, and I never really got into the habit. Cakes are something to be eaten mid-afternoon, with a hot drink (in case you can't guess, I'm originally from Germany)

My husband doesn't get that at all. He could eat sweets all day every day. He's the one to make sure we've always got several packs of biscuit in the cupboard (just in case), as well as a decent stock of various chocolates. And boiled sweets in the car. Me, I'm happy as long as there's cheese and some pickles in the fridge for when I want a snack :D

I never got back to this.. thanks for all the replies..

Well its a mixed bag it seems.. and hard to draw any definitive conclusions from the results as we have an uneven number of females/males etc.... but from those who voted it does seem that more people prefer savoury to sweet (19/6) - however, more females prefer sweet to males (5/1).. and I am in that bracket for sure lol..

Here's another thing, I must have a hot beverage (tea/coffee) when eating something sweet.. increases the melt factor thus the sweetness hmm....
    As much as I love chocolate, I wouldn't bother eating it on its own.. maybe thats a good thing (I prob eat less as a result)..

Advertisement