Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweet or Savoury or both - which are you?

Options
  • 05-03-2021 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭

So a mate and I were discussing this - are you sweet/savoury or both..

I'm sweet - he's both..

We are thinking that in general females are more sweet - males savoury - what say you?

(would be really cool if you could include your gender - f - female/m - male..

Happy Friday :)

Do you prefer sweet or savoury? 38 votes

I'm female and prefer sweet
    60% 23 votes
    I'm female and prefer savoury
    5% 2 votes
    I'm male and prefer sweet
    15% 6 votes
    I'm male and prefer savoury
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    7% 3 votes
    I'm female and don't have a favourite
    0% 0 votes
    I'm male and don't have a favourite
    10% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Both myself (F) and my husband are mad for sweets. I have two brothers mad for sweet things and the others savoury.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Male definitely savory. Starter and Main over Desert. Don't really have a sweet tooth but I like chocolate brownies

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭chooey

f- 100% savoury. Could take or leave chocolate or anything sweet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think I’m both. In a restaurant, I’ll go for starter and main. With a hangover, I crave savoury food. But in terms of snack food, I’m all about chocolate, cakes and sweets over crisps.

I also don’t like things that are too sweet, like fudge, caramel flavoured ice cream, chocolate flavoured products etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Savoury.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

100% savoury. I don't really chocolate, or sweet things. In a restaurant, my dream dessert is a cheeseboard. And I'm all about the crisps as a snack food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Both, crisps over chocolate but I love a good dessert. I’m female

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Savory all the way. Male.
    My taste has changed as I got older, used to love sweet stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Both! (F) Together is especially good, kettle corn, sticky salty chinese takeaway, rasberry jam on fried cheese, caramelised onions <3

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I've always had a sweet tooth! (Female) I love savory food too though. You can live on savory food alone, but not sweet food. I'd choose dessert over a starter, but ideally I'd have both :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Female here.
    Savoury 90% of the time with little bit of whole nut chocolate and/or Turkish fry's delight.

Crisps are my weakness ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Only savoury. Female. I don't really like anything sweet. Might have a square or two of chocolate once or twice a year and then wonder why I bothered.

I don't snack either. Never really eat crisps or peanuts or popcorn or anything like that. Would have a crisp sambo over Christmas but it would be for lunch. I've never really understood the concept of just having a bag of crisps or something in between meals. I get that I'm very much an outlier in that regard, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Female here and would say im 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭tscul32

Female - 80/20 savoury over sweet. Never get dessert unless it's a cheese plate. But I do like chocolate and home baked goodies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm female and I prefer savoury, crisps and chips being my all time favourites. If I'm actually hungry I can't eat sweet things, and the only chocolate I crave is Toblerone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

Faith wrote: »
    I think I’m both. In a restaurant, I’ll go for starter and main. With a hangover, I crave savoury food. But in terms of snack food, I’m all about chocolate, cakes and sweets over crisps.

I also don’t like things that are too sweet, like fudge, caramel flavoured ice cream, chocolate flavoured products etc.

I'm very much like this also. Love savoury food but also partial to some chocolate, biscuits, crisps and jelly sweets :o Not a big fan of anything too sweet though and can't actually remember the last time I had a fizzy drink - (m)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭con747

Both, and mix both together in certain things I try which is interesting at times!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Savoury, generally, though I also can take sweet at times.

If I'm in a restaurant, I'd rather get two starters and a main, than the traditional three courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Male, and pretty much 100% savoury. I'm partial to a bit of high cocoa content chocolate now and then, but I can make a normal size bar last a year:) My wife thinks I'm mad, she's a chocaholic. A big snacker too .. crisps, peanuts etc.

If I'm eating out, I'll usually forego dessert, unless there's something intensely chocolatey on the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Male and savoury. When at a restaurant, I usually choose Irish Coffee as a desert. And maybe a cheese board. :rolleyes:

Mrs and the Little G's (M&F) are sweet, sweet, sweet everytime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This is like a gender reveal thread in disguise!

jk :D

Male, 100% savoury.
    Would rather olives over sweets.

Don't like desserts at all.

(Except maybe for doughnuts).

I can’t even fathom eating a cheese board. If someone put one in front of me, I’d probably ignore it. The idea of slicing off a bit of cheese and eating it is completely alien to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭sporina

hey, thanks for all the replies.. v interesting..

@Faith - much and all as I love chocolate, I don't actually like choc ice cream/cake etc either - too heavy.. or fudge..
    Also, on a hangover I do get a mild craving for something savoury - would go for some chicken to fix that - or a bag of pop corn.. (body craving salt I guess)

@Dizzyblonde - again, much and all as I prefer sweet things, like you, I can't eat anything too sweet when hungry.. apples are my go to.. or nuts etc..

@Woodchuck - good point - indeed one cannot live on sweet things alone - but you could do with savoury..

@igCorcaigh - lol I had hoped that no one would fear this - no its a disguise to find out what gender posters are lol
    And funny you like doughnuts even though you not sweet toothed - a lot of my male males love em too.. me I am not a doughnut fan at all - though I would prob eat the choc off one and throw the rest away lol

@Dial Hard - gee you don't snack - wow - I could snack all day - just cos I love eating - your meals must be v well balanced..

@Alun - yeah I had a house mate once who would open a small dairymilk - eat 2 squares and put the rest in the fridge - would last her a month - alien to me at the time - though I can do it now.. (to a degree)..

As for cheeseboards - if a cheese board arrived to the house, it would certainly all be blue in time - the only cheese I like is goats cheese - and that on a pizza... Dubliner with relish and brown bread but can't eat much dairy these days anyway due to sinus issues..

not totted up the differences between genders yet.. will give the thread a bit longer..

thanks again - interesting reading..

sporina wrote: »
    not totted up the differences between genders yet.. will give the thread a bit longer..

I can add a poll to the thread if you like? It's a bit more binary, but could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Recliner

F. Def savoury.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Both unfortunately!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Female and 100% sweet. Desserts and baked goods mainly. I do like good quality chocolate but I’d never pick up a bar of chocolate in the shop or add a packet of biscuits to the shopping list. I’m very picky about desserts too. They have to be homemade or at least freshly made if I’m buying them. I worked in M&S and I couldn’t handle the smell of the packaged cakes aisle but I used to mill through the freshly baked cookies back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭sporina

Faith wrote: »
    I can add a poll to the thread if you like? It's a bit more binary, but could be interesting.

yes please - that would be great - thought about it but hadn't looked into it

sporina wrote: »
    yes please - that would be great - thought about it but hadn't looked into it

Done.

Just in case it needs to be said, this is a light-hearted straw-poll. I'd be here all day trying to include all variants of gender identity and flavour preferences so the 'other' category exists for everyone who feels they don't fit into one of the binary boxes!

/edit: Updated to include no preference option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

Female and would be more inclined to savoury.

I don’t like mixing sweet and savoury. So I’m not crazy about a three course meal. I like starter and main if out for dinner. But would rather coffee and cake than coffee and sandwich in a café in the afternoon. Does that make sense to anyone?

The only time I like savoury and sweet together os a really nice afternoon tea, preferably shared with some good friends or the hubby with gin in the teacup.

Advertisement