Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV battery options

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

If DrPhil gets this all to work I will be very interested in doing it myself so thanks for the progress updates and hopefully it all comes together nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

DrPhilG wrote: »
    To be honest the feed in tariff looks increasingly like it will be muck, so they might actually be worth more lol.

I'm still hoping to be up and running within a month so they'll be on the market for July at the latest.

Not following you there Phil, They are surely worth more now with no FIT that later with a FIT, even at a 5c level this is an offset against the value of the stored energy. Hope it works out for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭samdeluxjones

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    I seem to be dumping a lot onto the grid even with the battery and I don't have one of the "stupid" meters that go backwards so will probably go for it since I don't see why not.

Me too, powering our whole lane 4 houses for free between 9am-4pm on a fine day after charging 10kw battery.

ESB must know right well they are charging full whack for power they aren't supplying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

reni10 wrote: »
    If DrPhil gets this all to work I will be very interested in doing it myself so thanks for the progress updates and hopefully it all comes together nicely.

Bear in mind that 2 or 3 others have already gone before me.

E30M3 wrote: »
    Not following you there Phil, They are surely worth more now with no FIT that later with a FIT, even at a 5c level this is an offset against the value of the stored energy. Hope it works out for you though.

Personally I think the FiT may well be a dud. Small value, cancelled out by an accompanying peak rate.

Time will tell.

Besides PylonTech batteries are still highly sought after in the UK, even second hand. And I live on the border.

I was joking about their value increasing but I certainly don't forsee any significant drop in value here and if there is, I'll just flog them into the North.

• Advertisement

Personally I think the FiT may well be a dud. Small value, cancelled out by an accompanying peak rate.

Time will tell.

Besides PylonTech batteries are still highly sought after in the UK, even second hand. And I live on the border.

I was joking about their value increasing but I certainly don't forsee any significant drop in value here and if there is, I'll just flog them into the North.

what's wrong with pylontech batteries?

Irish times article February 2021.jpg

50,000 homes at an average of 3kW say. If I put 20kWh back into the grid on a good day then 3kWh would put 10kWh a day times 50.000 homes is 500.000kWh at 19cents a unit is €95.000 the ESB get for free every fine day.

Hard to see the gov give up much of what they are getting for free and the poor greens won't have much say in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

Bear in mind that 2 or 3 others have already gone before me.

Indeed, I'm really happy with them and I have been nearly totally off-grid since the clocks went forward. My 3.6kWp system is charging the batteries full nearly every day and I get right around to the following morning most nights, and it starts all over again. I've only used 15 units since the beginning of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

championc wrote: »
    Indeed, I'm really happy with them and I have been nearly totally off-grid since the clocks went forward. My 3.6kWp system is charging the batteries full nearly every day and I get right around to the following morning most nights, and it starts all over again. I've only used 15 units since the beginning of the month

My 6.1kw system and 5kw battery has meant I've only used 13 units so far this month :). Was thinking about going down the DIY battery route but with this usage I'm not really seeing the point for now. When I get a EV in a couple of years I'll maybe buy one of the existing batteries of the guys here who no doubt will be moving onto the next level at that stage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

When adding a new battery, e. g. A 3rd pylontech to ans existing setup, must the voltage of all 3 be balanced? I've seen some diyers on YouTube doing this with diy systems, but have read one account online where a guy had the existing batteries with 3 leds lit and the new one with 4, and after shutting things down, connected them together and just turned it on. Worked for him, but is that OK, will the BMS even out the voltage automatically when first turned on?

Deagol wrote: »
    My 6.1kw system and 5kw battery has meant I've only used 13 units so far this month :). Was thinking about going down the DIY battery route but with this usage I'm not really seeing the point for now. When I get a EV in a couple of years I'll maybe buy one of the existing batteries of the guys here who no doubt will be moving onto the next level at that stage ;)

What would you pay for a year old used 2.4 polytech as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement

Higher voltages are always consumed first. Your inverter generates a higher voltage than the grid, so that it how the inverter power is used before grid power.

Similarly, if your new battery had a higher voltage initially, the higher voltage of the new battery will be drawn off by the lower voltage of the older one until they all equalize. Ideally, you want to let them sit, unconnected to your system the night before a good forecasted day, and then hope that solar charging will bring the whole lot together up to maximum charge, top equalizing the whole rig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Anyone know how to change the discharge SOC level on a Solis inverter?
    Seems to default at 15% and I want it at 10%

Anyone know how to change the discharge SOC level on a Solis inverter?
    Seems to default at 15% and I want it at 10%

It's in the advanced menu under battery. Select the battery type listed and it shows the discharge.

I guess you already know this but, I would assume you will invalidate your warranty if you change it to 10%... just saying :)

Maybe, maybe not, puredrive are releasing a new battery soon that has 0-100% not sure how, probably increase the size to 5.5kw and they lie to you saying it's 5kw
    Might leave it at 15%, that 1kw from grid overnight is p***ing me off though :D

Maybe, maybe not, puredrive are releasing a new battery soon that has 0-100% not sure how, probably increase the size to 5.5kw and they lie to you saying it's 5kw
    Might leave it at 15%, that 1kw from grid overnight is p***ing me off though :D

I'm hoping to get a free update to my battery. I've an issue with my system swinging wildly between exporting an importing and myself and the installer spent hours trying to figure out what was causing it. Now appears the Puredrive has a firmware error somewhere. I've my fingers crossed I'll need a new battery not just a firmware update ;)

I consider my baseload is quite high (250-400watts) overnight and my battery is generally still supplying in the morning. Do you mind me asking how you managed to consume the battery and another Kw??

You can see from my graph that at midnight it was at 34% SOC
    I have a CT clamp on my mains supply so I can see exactly how much I'm using or exporting (value goes into the minus) which is live data.
    From about midnight to the morning the house usually uses up to 3kws, so my constant usage is high enough, about 400w, net gear, cameras, fridge, a few tablets on the walls, alarm, about 50-60 smart switches/sockets/sensors, etc.
    So the 5kws becomes 4.25kws at 15% which isn't great and I was pretty sure this would happen which is why I was debating 2 x 3.5kwh pylons and should have probably went for that setup but didn't like not having 1C discharge.
    Not sure how great these batteries are, the first one fitted was DOA and had to be replaced.

You can see from my graph that at midnight it was at 34% SOC
    I have a CT clamp on my mains supply so I can see exactly how much I'm using or exporting (value goes into the minus) which is live data.
    From about midnight to the morning the house usually uses up to 3kws, so my constant usage is high enough, about 400w, net gear, cameras, fridge, a few tablets on the walls, alarm, about 50-60 smart switches/sockets/sensors, etc.
    So the 5kws becomes 4.25kws at 15% which isn't great and I was pretty sure this would happen which is why I was debating 2 x 3.5kwh pylons and should have probably went for that setup but didn't like not having 1C discharge.
    Not sure how great these batteries are, the first one fitted was DOA and had to be replaced.

The downsides of a connected smart house I guess. I've been looking at smart stuff but mostly I realised I don't need it and my mrs is not keen at all. She kind of likes the remote Eddi temperature check but I was warned that there was to be no more apps :) With the additional power requirements adding up I think you've made it clearer for me in my own mind that I don't need smart sockets etc :)

Yes I think I would need like 10-15 apps to control all the bits and pieces but that's why you bring them all into Home Assistant for one app to rule them all :D
    But even with the battery not lasting all night, bought a total of 1.29kw from the grid for the whole day so not too shabby.

If the Solis follows Sofar, you can drain below 15% but the inverter will then recharge the battery to 40% from the mains as it looks to protect the battery from damaging itself.

In addition, if you look at a LiFePO4 power curve, you'll see that the SOC% dives in the last 10 or so %. So the discharge power available from 20% - 15% would be quite different from that available from 15% - 10%.

There is a firmware update for the solis hybrids which allows multiple charge and discharge times which is brilliant.

mail euservice@solisinverters.com and send them your serial number and verify your invertor is online and they work away.

• Advertisement

championc wrote: »
    If the Solis follows Sofar, you can drain below 15% but the inverter will then recharge the battery to 40% from the mains as it looks to protect the battery from damaging itself.

In addition, if you look at a LiFePO4 power curve, you'll see that the SOC% dives in the last 10 or so %. So the discharge power available from 20% - 15% would be quite different from that available from 15% - 10%.

There is no warranty issue on the battery changing from 15% to 10%, with the puredrives at least and the inverter doesn't force charge at 10% either, probably because both force charge and SOC are set to 10%.
    With the lifepo4s to extend their life it should be something like 15%-90% iirc.
    There is a firmware update for the solis hybrids which allows multiple charge and discharge times which is brilliant.

mail euservice@solisinverters.com and send them your serial number and verify your invertor is online and they work away.

Any idea what FW number that is? I think I have the latest (330022) but not 100%

Any idea what FW number that is? I think I have the latest (330022) but not 100%

New Solis firmware.jpeg

340022 so there is a newer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭AnswerIs42

How did you find this out? Is there a list somewhere of firmware versions?

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    How did you find this out? Is there a list somewhere of firmware versions?

I mailed these guys in relation to firmware euservice@solisinverters.com and they just did it remotely.

The advanced settings especially the battery charging settings are all changed, multiple charge and discharge times now instead of 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭AnswerIs42

I mailed these guys in relation to firmware euservice@solisinverters.com and they just did it remotely.

The advanced settings especially the battery charging settings are all changed, multiple charge and discharge times now instead of 2.

Do you happen to know if there are any performance related improvements?

The battery settings changes wouldn't hold too much interest for me so it's not worth the risk of a firmware upgrade but it there are other benefits, it might be worth it.

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    Do you happen to know if there are any performance related improvements?

The battery settings changes wouldn't hold too much interest for me so it's not worth the risk of a firmware upgrade but it there are other benefits, it might be worth it.

To be honest I don't know but I'm sure they are always trying to improve the efficiency and operation of the machine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The guys I'm using do ship to Poland initially to clear customs.

But the batteries were due into Poland today.

Any update DrP?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Any update DrP?

Nope. I'm considering raising a dispute. They won't even give me any update other than "it's on the way".

Nope. I'm considering raising a dispute. They won't even give me any update other than "it's on the way".

In all fairness but they really won't have any visibility to the shipment between China and Poland. It's very frustrating I'm sure, but I have no doubt that they will arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Agreed, I always give past delivery date for my AE purchases, it will land soon. Although in fairness with that much in monies I'd be peeking out the front door too...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement