Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV battery options

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭championc

Are the LifePO4 connected in series with the Pylontech then?

I don't have Pylontechs. My 10kW of LiFePO4 cells from AliExpress cost slightly more than a 2.4kW Pylontech unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

championc wrote: »
    Indeed, but it's not absolutely necessary. A DIY Powerwall of LiFePO4 cells can mimic a Lead Acid setup, and the Solis (and possibly other Inverters) can be setup as though Lead-Acid's are attached, and of course, these would never have a BMS connected.

This is the way mine works

Is that safe for them to operate without a BMS?

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    Is that safe for them to operate without a BMS?

I have a BMS. You really do need one. But the inverters calculate their own SOC based on the voltage of the battery and the parameters you set for your storage in the inverter.

So you can happily have a battery bank which is not integrated with your inverter.

That's what I thought.
    What type of BMS did you use if you don't mind me asking, I might go down the diy route eventually :)

That's what I thought.
    What type of BMS did you use if you don't mind me asking, I might go down the diy route eventually :)

I got an 80Ah 16s TEYO. It seems identical to the DALY

• Advertisement

I got an 80Ah 16s TEYO. It seems identical to the DALY

Cool and that just works plug and play with the Solis?
    I did come across the DALY alright.

Cool and that just works plug and play with the Solis?
    I did come across the DALY alright.

No. The batteries and BMS are completely independent. You can go down the route of getting the Australian one which would appear that it will emulate a Pylontech. Otherwise, you have to enter several parameters into the unit, entered as though it is some form of modified Lead-Acid setup

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Dammit...

Batteries were due to hit Poland no later than today. No sign this morning so I sent the seller a message on AliExpress. Got no response but I just got a notification on the app of an "extension to delivery time".

Estimated delivery time still says April 17th to May 8th.

At what point do I sling in a dispute?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Dammit...

Batteries were due to hit Poland no later than today. No sign this morning so I sent the seller a message on AliExpress. Got no response but I just got a notification on the app of an "extension to delivery time".

Estimated delivery time still says April 17th to May 8th.

At what point do I sling in a dispute?

From my experience with Aliexpress they won't accept a dispute until weeks after the expected delivery date. You can find out how long by beginning to submit a dispute where it will show you the date then by which you can officially open one then cancelling out

irishchris wrote: »
    From my experience with Aliexpress they won't accept a dispute until weeks after the expected delivery date. You can find out how long by beginning to submit a dispute where it will show you the date then by which you can officially open one then cancelling out

Yeah but the feckers just pushed the delivery date back by 60 days!

So I can't open a dispute for 2 months just because they decided so??

• Advertisement

I was doing some research on the lifepo4 batteries on ali and I did come across some sellers that said they had shipment from Poland which did include customs and maybe shorter delivery time so maybe that's something to look into in case this doesn't work out.

I was doing some research on the lifepo4 batteries on ali and I did come across some sellers that said they had shipment from Poland which did include customs and maybe shorter delivery time so maybe that's something to look into in case this doesn't work out.

The guys I'm using do ship to Poland initially to clear customs.

But the batteries were due into Poland today.

Oh I see, so not actual stock in Poland still coming over from China.

Oh I see, so not actual stock in Poland still coming over from China.

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

My batteries arrived a few weeks ago, set the pack up, but haven't got a chance to do the BMS yet, so it's not connected to my inverter. I have to say this supplier is excellent, the batteries were super well packed, are great value for money and all the bus bars, bolts and washers were all there too. The Poland route is great as the seller uses that as a way to handle customs / EU VAT. The shipment to the end consumer (us) comes from Poland which is in the EU, so we do not owe anything in tax or duties, so €1300 for 10kWh landed

unkel wrote: »
    My batteries arrived a few weeks ago, set the pack up, but haven't got a chance to do the BMS yet, so it's not connected to my inverter. I have to say this supplier is excellent, the batteries were super well packed, are great value for money and all the bus bars, bolts and washers were all there too. The Poland route is great as the seller uses that as a way to handle customs / EU VAT. The shipment to the end consumer (us) comes from Poland which is in the EU, so we do not owe anything in tax or duties, so €1300 for 10kWh landed

You used the same supplier as I did didn't you? Oye Store?

How long from order to arrival overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You used the same supplier as I did didn't you? Oye Store?

How long from order to arrival overall?

No, mine are from PWOD Official Store. Took nearly 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

unkel wrote: »

Could you please link to the batteries and BMS etc that you bought from Ali?

I am very interested in looking at replacing my pylontechs with something like this as well so is there any tutorials or videos etc. that explain the process?

Go back to the beginning of this thread. Not only are there links but a diagram of how to wire it up fully

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Following - big thanks to all that contribute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lightson

I had some arrive via Poland left on front door step last week . Bit under 2 months with oye on Ali 200ah lishen seem new. Not for house use different type project very happy with them. Once they arrived in Poland the ups tracking worked. No tax just price paid to Ali. Will consider more for house once got a better feel for lifepo4 from this project.

Got a feeling doc that yours can't be far away now. I assume the tracking number is working fine on the UPS website, and it just says that it's waiting (or something like that - I can't remember)

Got a feeling doc that yours can't be far away now. I assume the tracking number is working fine on the UPS website, and it just says that it's waiting (or something like that - I can't remember)

Yeah it's still saying what it said 8 weeks ago lol.

"label created, check again alter for scheduled delivery".

It'll teach me patience...

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭E30M3

Yeah it's still saying what it said 8 weeks ago lol.

"label created, check again alter for scheduled delivery".

It'll teach me patience...

To compound things Phil I'd say you should think about offloading the PylonTechs before FIT Details announced as that may knock the value further. Pain to be without any battery but if you were trying to sell next Sept/October time I'd say the value will haver taken a step down.

May be wrong of course

E30M3 wrote: »
    To compound things Phil I'd say you should think about offloading the PylonTechs before FIT Details announced as that may knock the value further. Pain to be without any battery but if you were trying to sell next Sept/October time I'd say the value will haver taken a step down.

May be wrong of course

To be honest the feed in tariff looks increasingly like it will be muck, so they might actually be worth more lol.

I'm still hoping to be up and running within a month so they'll be on the market for July at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Have a 2.4 Poly battery. May get another. Think I'll be able to manage most consumption during the good months then.

Not relying on the feed in tariff tbh. Can't see the government being too generous. If it's above 5c, I'll be pleasantry surprised. Think I'm happy with trying to consume all I can.

Electricity prices will rise. We'll be happy to be generating our own when that inevitably happens.

You mean like it just did?
    Yesterday's Irish Independent reported that Pinergy is planning to raise its rates from the 11th of June. The move will add €120 to the typical bill over a year.

This is after 7 Irish Energy retailers have already raised their rates this year.

Not to mention, it's now been just months since all residential electricity users were hit by a 130pc rise in the public service obligation (PSO) levy, adding almost €90 a year to household electricity bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You mean like it just did?

And probably more than to follow!

No doubt when there are widespread smart meters they'll try to gouge us with different plans.

I see FIT as an added bonus. Unless it's incredibly generous I won't be in a huge hurry to get a smart meter tbh.

I seem to be dumping a lot onto the grid even with the battery and I don't have one of the "stupid" meters that go backwards so will probably go for it since I don't see why not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

To be honest the feed in tariff looks increasingly like it will be muck, so they might actually be worth more lol.

I'm still hoping to be up and running within a month so they'll be on the market for July at the latest.

I agree, time will tell but whatever they give us will be obliterated by the 5pm-7pm price hike.
    I need to get my head around an Ali Express 10kW setup when time presents...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement