Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€7.00 a kilo how long will it last

Options
  • 04-03-2021 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Lambs a good price at the moment how long do people think it will last

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lambs a good price at the moment how long do people think it will last

Welsh farmers are finding it difficult to get meat out since Brexit so as long as those difficulties last I think it will hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Welsh farmers are finding it difficult to get meat out since Brexit so as long as those difficulties last I think it will hold.

For the ignorant among us, what is the normal going rate per kilo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

karlitob wrote: »
    For the ignorant among us, what is the normal going rate per kilo?

I was getting €5.55 in July so its a big difference since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

Lads, there's no fortune to be made at €7.00/kg.
    To put things in perspective, it is €20/ lamb more than this time last year.
    On 200 lambs it is €4000, Meal, Fertilizer and Diesel all gone up in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Tileman

CJhaughey wrote: »

With the development on the n Ireland protocol from the uk side yesterday the welsh farmers might find it more difficult in coming weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

better than a kick in the B*ll*cks all the same...

Nonetheless, that’s a 27% increase in price. Did meal, fertiliser and diesel go up by the same amount? I know diesel didn’t but as I understand it, meal and fertiliser can fluctuate quite a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Nonetheless, that’s a 27% increase in price. Did meal, fertiliser and diesel go up by the same amount? I know diesel didn’t but as I understand it, meal and fertiliser can fluctuate quite a bit too.

Yes, last year was good for sheep farmers, but its coming up from a very low base. Even now the average sheep farmer only makes a fraction of the average industrial wage.

Yes, last year was good for sheep farmers, but its coming up from a very low base. Even now the average sheep farmer only makes a fraction of the average industrial wage.

Understood. It doesn’t answer what the increase in diesel/meal/fertiliser is. And also begs the question of what that fraction is.

Not to be too pedantic - average wage and average industrial wage are different as it’s obviously related to industry rather than farming.

What is the average wage of the full time sheep farmer in Ireland?

I think this report shows average sheep farmer income is €16500 in 2017 with direct costs of production significantly lower (-6%) while overhead costs of production grew modestly (+2%).

In my absence of knowledge about farming, clearly a family can’t survive on that since it’s less than social welfare. I would presume that sheep farmers are not full time and supplement their incomes elsewhere or else they are small holdings with no mortgage no family and happy to rear sheep.

https://www.teagasc.ie/rural-economy/rural-economy/agri-food-business/agriculture-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Understood. It doesn’t answer what the increase in diesel/meal/fertiliser is. And also begs the question of what that fraction is.

Not to be too pedantic - average wage and average industrial wage are different as it’s obviously related to industry rather than farming.

What is the average wage of the full time sheep farmer in Ireland?

I think this report shows average sheep farmer income is €16500 in 2017 with direct costs of production significantly lower (-6%) while overhead costs of production grew modestly (+2%).

In my absence of knowledge about farming, clearly a family can’t survive on that since it’s less than social welfare. I would presume that sheep farmers are not full time and supplement their incomes elsewhere or else they are small holdings with no mortgage no family and happy to rear sheep.

https://www.teagasc.ie/rural-economy/rural-economy/agri-food-business/agriculture-in-ireland/

You've got a fairly accurate picture there. Theres not enough money to be made out of it to make a full time living. That's why alot of lads only do it part time, however there are also lads who it would be their only form of income. I read the average industrial wage is €40k a year, so sheep farmers are along way away from that. Even as part time, when you work out what your marking on a hourly basis, it would in many cases be minimum wage territory or less. Whatever you can make out of it is hard earned.

• Advertisement

Between 15% and 20% increase for all 3.
    As you can see, the "extra money" is small on top of already small money. There'll be no farms bought and paid for out of sheep this year!

Between 15% and 20% increase for all 3.
    As you can see, the "extra money" is small on top of already small money. There'll be no farms bought and paid for out of sheep this year!

Diesel hasn’t gone up 15-20% in the past year. It’s barely gone up ⅓ of 1%

https://www.statista.com/statistics/603713/diesel-fuel-prices-ireland/

Do you have any stats on the other two.

Did the 15-20% increase occur due to Brexit?

Diesel hasn’t gone up 15-20% in the past year. It’s barely gone up ⅓ of 1%

https://www.statista.com/statistics/603713/diesel-fuel-prices-ireland/

Do you have any stats on the other two.

Did the 15-20% increase occur due to Brexit?

Diesel was sub 50c per litre, its over 60 now.
    Fertilizer, example 18:6:12 gone from €315 to €380 per tonne
    Meal, can't remember what it was last year but it is gone up substantially.

You've got a fairly accurate picture there. Theres not enough money to be made out of it to make a full time living. That's why alot of lads only do it part time, however there are also lads who it would be their only form of income. I read the average industrial wage is €40k a year, so sheep farmers are along way away from that. Even as part time, when you work out what your marking on a hourly basis, it would in many cases be minimum wage territory or less. Whatever you can make out of it is hard earned.

I see what you’re trying to say but it’s not like with like.

The median income (not wage as income comes in many forms) in ireland in 2016 was €45,500. As you’ve said above, sheep farming is part time for some people. So for those part time people, they - on average - still earn €45,500. It’s just that 16,500€ comes from farming and the other 29000€ comes from something else.

As these are averages - half are higher and half are lower. Which means for the sheep farmer who earns €16,500 only, there’s another person out there who’s not a sheep farmer, is also earning €16,500.

As to whether or not, the pay per hour is equal, well all I’d say to that is that there’s many people who know nothing about farming but equally farmers who nothing about the work of other people. (Not meant in a smart way) People earning above €50k or €60k don’t just get it straight away and don’t just do a 9-5. Theres years of work, crap jobs, late hours and professional pressures. A ‘lsenior non-consultant hospital doctor might earn 60-65€. Count the hours that they work, and they spent getting to that point.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-gpii/geographicalprofilesofincomeinireland2016/incomeinireland/

Diesel was sub 50c per litre, its over 60 now.
    Fertilizer, example 18:6:12 gone from €315 to €380 per tonne
    Meal, can't remember what it was last year but it is gone up substantially.

Interesting. Why has it gone up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Interesting. Why has it gone up?

All diesel has gone up, it's just there's so much tax on road diesel a 10c increase in diesel isn't so noticeable over a year whereas agri diesel a bigger proportion of the price is the actual diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭leoch

Apparently 7.30 plus pay the transport for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

leoch wrote: »
    Apparently 7.30 plus pay the transport for next week

Where is this leoch?

All diesel has gone up, it's just there's so much tax on road diesel a 10c increase in diesel isn't so noticeable over a year whereas agri diesel a bigger proportion of the price is the actual diesel.

I put stats up on diesel price increase. What I found didn’t suggest a 25% increase. But happy to incorrect.

It’s the other stuff I had wondered about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

I put stats up on diesel price increase. What I found didn’t suggest a 25% increase. But happy to incorrect.

It’s the other stuff I had wondered about.

At the pumps last April the price of auto was generally 1.02 ish its now 1.30 ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Im off to the Mart in the morning with the last of my hoggets. They have really done well over the last few weeks. Great to be selling at these prices, wish I had more!!

kk.man wrote: »
    At the pumps last April the price of auto was generally 1.02 ish its now 1.30 ish.

Not sure what pumps you’re going to but national average prices according the the cso show that price of diesel is 12% less in Dec 20 than Dec 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭leoch

Where is this leoch?

Not sure possibly ballyhanus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

Not sure what pumps you’re going to but national average prices according the the cso show that price of diesel is 12% less in Dec 20 than Dec 19.

I bought auto diseal last April for 0.99c from the depot and price of oil was around 35 dollars a barrel. Price at pumps was 1.03 ish. That's fact... CSO is a bit like teagasc

There's going to be a huge amount of food price inflation in the next few years.

Irish lamb has always been a very premium product. Now is the time where we use the State to market it like that all over the world like we did with beef. Don't go for scale like NZ did. Grass reared, free range, small farm produce.

kk.man wrote: »
    I bought auto diseal last April for 0.99c from the depot and price of oil was around 35 dollars a barrel. Price at pumps was 1.03 ish. That's fact... CSO is a bit like teagasc

I’m not gonna get into explaining what an average is. Clearly you didn’t get to all depots - just the one you went to. Whatever way you cut diesel, oil, petrol is cheaper now and has not increased the 30% that you say it has.

I know nothing about teasasc. Are you trying to intimate that the cso can’t be trusted?

I’m not gonna get into explaining what an average is. Clearly you didn’t get to all depots - just the one you went to. Whatever way you cut diesel, oil, petrol is cheaper now and has not increased the 30% that you say it has.

I know nothing about teasasc. Are you trying to intimate that the cso can’t be trusted?

Kk man has given you his figures, they are real life actual figures that are reflected in his bank account. Going down a rabbit hole quoting averages for this and that is nonsense.
    There's a poster on this forum that has a very good saying,
    " if everyone was average, we'd all be going around with less than 2 legs"

Kk man has given you his figures, they are real life actual figures that are reflected in his bank account. Going down a rabbit hole quoting averages for this and that is nonsense.
    There's a poster on this forum that has a very good saying,
    " if everyone was average, we'd all be going around with less than 2 legs"

Well we weren’t talking about him and his ‘real-life’. The OP spoke about a 27% increase in price of lamb and this lad started mouthing off that this wasn’t a great increase in take-home because there was similar increases in diesel, meal and fertiliser. Not personal increases for him - but all round increases in costs. We weren’t taking about him.

When asked for figures to back up his claims he quotes a price that no one can verify. Clearly if his price was x then someone else’s was higher. This lad isn’t the marker that everyone goes off.

I’m sure some other lad today will get 7.5€ a kilo and someone else will get 6,5€ a kilo - giving an average of 7€ a kilo.

It’s this lad who’s trying to say the cso can’t count without anything to support that position. As if his view of the price of diesel once last April somewhere in ireland is more insightful that the cso who can check the price of all diesel in all pumps at all times for the past 50 years in ireland.

But let’s listen to this guy and his personal experience.

There’s another lad on another forum that also has a great quote - “everyone thinks their opinion is worthwhile but no one cares about your opinion unless it’s backed with facts”.

Well we weren’t talking about him and his ‘real-life’. The OP spoke about a 27% increase in price of lamb and this lad started mouthing off that this wasn’t a great increase in take-home because there was similar increases in diesel, meal and fertiliser. Not personal increases for him - but all round increases in costs. We weren’t taking about him.

When asked for figures to back up his claims he quotes a price that no one can verify. Clearly if his price was x then someone else’s was higher. This lad isn’t the marker that everyone goes off.

I’m sure some other lad today will get 7.5€ a kilo and someone else will get 6,5€ a kilo - giving an average of 7€ a kilo.

It’s this lad who’s trying to say the cso can’t count without anything to support that position. As if his view of the price of diesel once last April somewhere in ireland is more insightful that the cso who can check the price of all diesel in all pumps at all times for the past 50 years in ireland.

There’s another lad on another forum that also has a great quote - “everyone thinks their opinion is worthwhile but no one cares about your opinion unless it’s backed with facts”.

You can say what you like but it is real life facts that matter. Averages and percentages won't pay many bills!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

The price this year is very good, no doubt about it. It’s great to get a good price - but getting a good price doesn’t necessarily mean all the increase goes into your back pocket.
    For me, a kind winter has more impact on my bottom line than the price of any inputs...

My winter this year hasn’t been great - a fodder crop I put in didn’t come to much, so I had increased ration costs to offset this. My lambs didn’t thrive as well as I would have liked as we had a wet enough winter, so again more ration to finish...
    I also had higher mortality than I’d like.

Now - these things would have happened regardless of price. It’s great the price is good this year to offset my higher costs of production...

Not trying to say a good price isn’t a good thing :)
    Just an increase in sale price doesn’t automatically mean your profit goes up by the same percentage...

Advertisement