Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any cooperation between the Hunting Forum and the Farming Forum, here on Boa

• 28-02-2021 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Hi Mods / Everyone,

I was wondering, is there any ongoing cooperation between the members on the Farming forum, and the people here on the Hunting forum?

While I haven't noticed anything, I'm not online enough to say for sure.

It strikes me that there has to be some potential for co-operation, with lads here looking for permissions, lads on farms having problems and needing crops protected etc. Then there's occasional political issues, where both groups could be lobbying their local politicans to support common goals etc.

Id this isn't up and running already, has it been tried in the past, or do others think that it's worth a go now?

I would imagine that it would need a bit of help from the Mods on both forums, to get something started, but could help members on both forums.

Thanks,

G.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There is not enough cross over to warrant a "large scale" co-operative effort.

If something gets posted in the farming section which more closely relates to hunting then the Mods move it over here, but i'm not keen on the idea of moving thread over to F&F to solicit for land permissions.

It'd be a nuisance and the F&F forum has its own rules so perhaps certain discussions like hunting/shooting would/may be prohibited.

I won't say its a a no-go. I''ll happily look into it for you, but i'd imagine it'd go along the lines of starting and possibly sticking a thread here with a link in the F&F forum to the thread if lads are seeking help, vermin control, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Cass wrote: »

.... i'd imagine it'd go along the lines of starting and possibly sticking a thread here with a link in the F&F forum to the thread if lads are seeking help, vermin control, etc.

That would be a good first step, if you can get it up and running.

I know it will take time to develop a bit of a relationship with the people on the farming forum, give them a bit of confidence in us etc, but I thnk it's worth a punt.

Thanks.

Thanks,

G.

garrettod wrote: »
    That would be a good first step, if you can get it up and running.

I can start by asking the Mods. Remember i'm only a poster outside the shooting forum. I have no authority to demand or push something on them.

I'll ask the Mods of the F&F forum if they would be up for it, and if so then i'll discuss it with them on how to proceed. It'll be at their discretion. If we get any sort of consensus we'll start the thread here.

Also as mods as volunteers it may take time to get answers/replies so this may not be a quick process.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thanks Cass.

Thanks,

G.

Hi Cass,

Did you ever get any joy with this one ?

Thanks,

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

No. However that is my fault. Real world got in the way.

However i have since made contact and am discussing it with the other Mods and awaiting a consensus from the F&F Mods. There is a lot to consider and we have to have this in such a way that both parties are protected as well as the site.

When i get any more information i'll post back here.

Apologies for my mess up and the subsequent delay, but be assured I'll follow through on my promise to try and get something going.

Thanks Cass.

Thanks,

G.

Update.

The F&F mods have come back and are willing to work with us on this, but we're going to start on a limited basis to see how things fare out and if it works perhaps it can be extended at a later date.

The shooting Mods are discussing this as there are a few rules, forum wise, and once we're settled on them we will contact the F&F mods, get the thread up and running and get the cross forum co-operation going. Should be another week at most, hopefully.

As said apologies for the delay but with all Mods being volunteers its not always a quick process.

That's great news.

Thanks to all of the Mods involved.

Thanks,

G.

Update.

We seem to have all our Ducks in a row. I've been having discussions with the F&F mods and we're on the verge of launching this scheme. There are some rules and the F&F mods want to start very slowly, given the real world nature of things, so it'll be for Deer stalking ONLY this year with view to expanding it to other forms of shooting in the near future, assuming everything goes right.

A thread and sticky will be launched just as soon as I get the final nod from our counterparts in F&F, so sty tuned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Hi, I just got a chance to catch up reading the hunting forum tonight after a busy few months. When I read OP's post the alarm bells automatically started ringing. We've only given permissions to people that we know personally who live in the general locality. TBH the same goes with anyone wanting to cross the lands to fish in the lake that shores some of our land.
    Thankfully we don't have a issue with deer in our area.
    Edit to add - 25 years ago the local Garda Sergeant arrived to the farm and gave us a lecture about signing so many permissions.

Appreciate the input Base price.

This is a strictly voluntary process. There is no expectation nor obligation for anyone to commit to anything. It might fail completely but no harm to try.

I actually had a permission "removed" from me by the NPWS because the lad owner was signing so many permissions for whomever asked. I can still shoot there, but the NPWS will not accept his permission when it comes time to renew my Deer license so I fully understand what you're saying.

Final update.

We're all electric.

The F&F mods are currently putting the finishing touches to their threads. In the meantime you have two threads.

The first is the "floating" thread where people will post permissions they are offering or seeking. Its here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058184782

The second is a sticky at the top of the hunting forum with links to the above thread and the swap/meet up days. Its here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058184777

All posts will remain on these threads. There is to be no posting in the F&F forum. All land owners will be directed to the above threads so they'll post there too. That way its centralised.

Once again thanks to Garrettod for the suggestion and help in putting this together. Also to the F&F Mods for their co-operation as without them this would not be happening.

Lets make good use of this and it'll only get better.

Afraid I can't take any credit, yourself and the other Mods have done the hard work Cass.

Thanks, btw.

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement