Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hartnett trailers.

Options
  • 28-02-2021 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Looking at buying a hartnett 7x4 trailer(based in Cork) . Just wondering if anyone has one and how they find it? Seems like a lot of trailer for the money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

247music wrote: »
    Looking at buying a hartnett 7x4 trailer(based in Cork) . Just wondering if anyone has one and how they find it? Seems like a lot of trailer for the money.

I bought a log saw of them and saw the trailers there. They looked fine but certainly lighter than some of the more known brands, I think they are just assembling and labelling but could be wrong.

I bought one from F40 a few years back and is well made but only paint finish. Fitted the budget at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭247music

I bought a log saw of them and saw the trailers there. They looked fine but certainly lighter than some of the more known brands, I think they are just assembling and labelling but could be wrong.

Great thanks.. I expected they may be lighter than the likes of an Ifor Williams P6e or 7. I'm also working off a budget but too at the same time I believe buy good buy once.. The p6e by Ifor williams is a fine trailer but a lot of money. I'm tormented😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What price are they and a picture out of a matter of interest

Slava Ukrainii

What price are they and a picture out of a matter of interest

For some reason I can't post a link with my account.. Never could, dunno why.. But the 6x4 is E1400 the 7x4 is E1500 and the 7x5 is E1595.. If you Google hartnett trailers there is a load of pictures of them on the site.. Sorry, if I could post the link I would..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Like you say a lot of trailer for the money! They are decent people. There will be stronger and heavier trailers out there for plant but really do you need that next step up. Depends what your moving and level of use. I think they look a super job for the money and suited to light to medium level of work.

• Advertisement

Personally I would be using it for runs to the dump/recycling centres, picking up 8x4 sheets of whatever, carrying a couple of loads of timber each year for firewood. Carrying bikes and camping gear during the summer months etc.. None of which would be too hard on it, but what I don't want is to watch it degrade in weather cause the build isn't made to last, especially when it won't do a huge amount of work yearly.. I would like it to see me to my grave tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Personally I would be using it for runs to the dump/recycling centres, picking up 8x4 sheets of whatever, carrying a couple of loads of timber each year for firewood. Carrying bikes and camping gear during the summer months etc.. None of which would be too hard on it, but what I don't want is to watch it degrade in weather cause the build isn't made to last, especially when it won't do a huge amount of work yearly.. I would like it to see me to my grave tho..

If your going buying a trailer buy a 5ft wide one as twill take a pallet on the flat, a 4 ft trailer wont which is a balls

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fourwinds

For the price you get a great trailer for the jobs you mentioned I got the same size 3 months ago it even came complete with a spare tyre safety chain etc. If you are going to be using it everyday hauling machinery etc then it would be very light. In regards the company I have found them to be very reliable I bought a log splitter off them 3 years ago and it was faulty a quick phone call and I had a replacement the very next day

Fourwinds wrote:
    For the price you get a great trailer for the jobs you mentioned I got the same size 3 months ago it even came complete with a spare tyre safety chain etc. If you are going to be using it everyday hauling machinery etc then it would be very light. In regards the company I have found them to be very reliable I bought a log splitter off them 3 years ago and it was faulty a quick phone call and I had a replacement the very next day

I take it your saying you bought a hartnett trailer ya? Nice to hear positive feedback from a buyer of one. Do you see it lasting years when you say its lighter than the rest? I wouldn't be hauling machinery in it but I do want it to last 10 years or more..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

I take it your saying you bought a hartnett trailer ya? Nice to hear positive feedback from a buyer of one. Do you see it lasting years when you say its lighter than the rest? I wouldn't be hauling machinery in it but I do want it to last 10 years or more..

For the jobs you described I’d think you’d be hard put to have any complaints with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Great thanks.. I expected they may be lighter than the likes of an Ifor Williams P6e or 7. I'm also working off a budget but too at the same time I believe buy good buy once.. The p6e by Ifor williams is a fine trailer but a lot of money. I'm tormented😂

The P6e and p7e are very light trailers.
    A 750 kg p7e is 193kgs . A 7x4 hartnett is 260kgs in comparison .
    I was in the same boat a few years ago.
    Wanted to buy a small trailer with mesh sides for the lawnmower and quad and generally running around.
    Was thinking a 750kg trailer. Fully legal behind the car, pulled on a car license
    I looked at the p7e and p8e but what put me off was how light they were. It looks like a folded tub with a timber floor and wheels/suspension units bolted on. We have a pet hate here for those.
    I didnt think they would lsst very well bar light use. I think as well a p7e or p8e with mesh sides was around 2 grand at the ploughing one year.
    The hartnet trailer is well specked , checkerplate floor , 5 stud wheels , proper axel and leaf springs, mesh sides.
    I started looking at second hand alternatives as well . I ended up buying a 8x5 dropside twin axel ifor williams in good condition , brakes done , new cables with mesh sides and ramps for 1500 plus vat off s dealer up in monaghan.
    It weighs 450kg in comparison with a 2000kg capacity but i can do a lot more with this one.
    I have the trailer license and the car can pull 1500kg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

They are a Chinese made trailer

Some of them I seeon their website have counterfeit/ copy of Bradley hitches.

If the hitch handle is a loop it's ancopynof the real old Bradley d201.

I do see in other pictures on the site they have genuine Bradley hitches. I expect they are removing the Chinese made and replacing with a Genuine Bradley

I wouldn't trust the Chinese made coupling. I've seen them and they're made to fail

Trailers themselves I'm sure are fine for a light runaround

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Hows the search going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭kk.man

9935452 wrote: »
    The P6e and p7e are very light trailers.
    A 750 kg p7e is 193kgs . A 7x4 hartnett is 260kgs in comparison .
    I was in the same boat a few years ago.
    Wanted to buy a small trailer with mesh sides for the lawnmower and quad and generally running around.
    Was thinking a 750kg trailer. Fully legal behind the car, pulled on a car license
    I looked at the p7e and p8e but what put me off was how light they were. It looks like a folded tub with a timber floor and wheels/suspension units bolted on. We have a pet hate here for those.
    I didnt think they would lsst very well bar light use. I think as well a p7e or p8e with mesh sides was around 2 grand at the ploughing one year.
    The hartnet trailer is well specked , checkerplate floor , 5 stud wheels , proper axel and leaf springs, mesh sides.
    I started looking at second hand alternatives as well . I ended up buying a 8x5 dropside twin axel ifor williams in good condition , brakes done , new cables with mesh sides and ramps for 1500 plus vat off s dealer up in monaghan.
    It weighs 450kg in comparison with a 2000kg capacity but i can do a lot more with this one.
    I have the trailer license and the car can pull 1500kg

I was hesitant about the purchase of my drop side 8x5 till this year and I brought machinery on the back of it. The drop down sides are great. I have a trailer licence and I'd never go to a fixed side trailer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Do Harnett do the 8x5 twin axle with mesh crates and if so anyone know roughly What kind of money are they

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Happened to price a 8x5 aerlite builder's dropside trailer today. €3300 inc vat.
    Anyone own one?or opinions on aerlite trailers?

They're a good trailer. Made in Tuam. Seems a bit pricey but this is the consequence of industry wide price increases

Ifor are up 10%

Steel up massively

Dunedin wrote: »
    Do Harnett do the 8x5 twin axle with mesh crates and if so anyone know roughly What kind of money are they

https://www.hartnett-products.ie/collections/trailers

Here are there prices. They do not have an 8X5 listed. In twin axle

Slava Ukrainii

Hows the search going ?

Still looking, nothing bought as yet.. Lockdown slowing the purchase as I can't go view the trailers.. Kinda leaning toward the 7x4 hartnett trailer but want to see one in the flesh first..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bally2009

I thought car trailers couldn't be built with spare wheel attached?? Wasn't there a case a few years back where a spare wheel flew off a trailer (due to rusty bolts attaching it to the frame as far as I recall) and killed a man up the country somewhere?? So they changed regulations after that
    I was talking to a car trailer manufacturer a few years back and was told to be careful purchasing trailers without the EU standards. As far as I know Hartnett trailers are imported (hence spare wheel) but correct me if I'm wrong. If you ever have an accident, insurance will try find anyway possible not to pay out

• Advertisement

bally2009 wrote: »
    I thought car trailers couldn't be built with spare wheel attached?? Wasn't there a case a few years back where a spare wheel flew off a trailer (due to rusty bolts attaching it to the frame as far as I recall) and killed a man up the country somewhere?? So they changed regulations after that
    I was talking to a car trailer manufacturer a few years back and was told to be careful purchasing trailers without the EU standards. As far as I know Hartnett trailers are imported (hence spare wheel) but correct me if I'm wrong. If you ever have an accident, insurance will try find anyway possible not to pay out

There's no truth whatsoever with the spare wheel.
    All ifor Williams trailers will have a spare wheel including new one we bought last year.

European vehicle Type approval doesn't have a stipulation regarding the absence of a spare wheel. Infact it's nonsense if you think about it. Imagine not having a spare wheel for a single axle wood chipper that weights 3500kg and you're stuck down the back end of the country with a flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bally2009

There's no truth whatsoever with the spare wheel.
    All ifor Williams trailers will have a spare wheel including new one we bought last year.

European vehicle Type approval doesn't have a stipulation regarding the absence of a spare wheel. Infact it's nonsense if you think about it. Imagine not having a spare wheel for a single axle wood chipper that weights 3500kg and you're stuck down the back end of the country with a flat.

I didn't care enough to look up the regulations tbh. It was a fabricated story so for the lad to try to not sell us a spare wheel 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have a 3 year old nugent trailer here and a spare wheel fitted, it was an extra in fairness but it’s factory fitted.

mickuhaha wrote: »

I say they are a very light trailer. The trailer is a few inches short of 8'X4' but it is only 130 kgs in weight. It was be very easy to overload.

I say it designed for a home owner who wants a trailer to carry big bulky light loads.

It would be grand to put a few bags of meal on or collect a half ton of fertlizer. I say you would want to be overloading it continually throwing a big load of sand or gravel in it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I didn't care enough to look up the regulations tbh. It was a fabricated story so for the lad to try to not sell us a spare wheel ��

A neighbours trailer came off and killed someone as well, but you couldn't be making regulations for every careless fecker.
    The idiot said it was the third car he had that ball hitch on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I say they are a very light trailer. The trailer is a few inches short of 8'X4' but it is only 130 kgs in weight. It was be very easy to overload.

I say it designed for a home owner who wants a trailer to carry big bulky light loads.

It would be grand to put a few bags of meal on or collect a half ton of fertlizer. I say you would want to be overloading it continually throwing a big load of sand or gravel in it

The specs claim it'll carry 600kgs....... can't see it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    A neighbours trailer came off and killed someone as well, but you couldn't be making regulations for every careless fecker.
    The idiot said it was the third car he had that ball hitch on

Sad but true wrangler. With trailers, if they look right, chances are they are right and vice versa. Worth every penny spending the bit extra and having something that you'll get years out of and be sensible with the weights.

wrangler wrote: »
    The specs claim it'll carry 600kgs....... can't see it myself

620 kgs actually it might but you would want to be spreading out the load. If you filled that with sand or gravel you would have 1.5 ton load, there is where the risk. Another risk would be if you were getting a lad with a forklift to put a pallet with 500 kgs of ration or small bags of fertlizer when he be pulling back the forklift he could damage it

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Im near Hartnetts and they are selling a lot of trailers all the time .Very popular with small builders /gardeners.They sell Nugent trailers for heavy duty operators as well.

Advertisement