Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The two Johnnies.....?

Options
  • 28-02-2021 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Discuss......they featured on ‘Tommy’s show’ last night, need to watch it back on rte player....saw a bit of another show/production they did on touring USA.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

Surely this is relevant to a TV forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Discuss......they featured on ‘Tommy’s show’ last night, need to watch it back on rte player....saw a bit of another show/production they did on touring USA.....

What this has to do with GAA I’ll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Both gaa players to be fair.

I would have framed the thread a bit differently but might be interesting to hear of people who played with or against tv/radio/well known personalities etc and if they had any stories etc?

Did yer man Johnny smacks play underage football for Tipperary or did I just imagine hearing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

He played minor football with Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

the kelt wrote: »
    Both gaa players to be fair.

I would have framed the thread a bit differently but might be interesting to hear of people who played with or against tv/radio/well known personalities etc and if they had any stories etc?

Did yer man Johnny smacks play underage football for Tipperary or did I just imagine hearing that?

My apologies. I should have made a bit more of an effort alright with my opener.....they do gaa player interviews and discussions on their YouTube Channel also....but they have broadened their ‘talents’ lately into stand up and singing/acting the maggot Kind of stuff and touring the world.....they seem like two down to earth Tipp lads from chair who play junior c hurling when ever they get the chance....!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair play to them, but they are about as funny as watching paint dry.

Maybe it’s an acquired taste but I think they’re absolutely hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

They're not the worst imo. The producer is a dose though.

They're better than the likes of Rory's Stories. I've said it once and i'll say it again i just still don't get it when it comes to him. Does he still play football does anyone know?

Buff Egan is another wore than him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

'Could have been county' is a great song, I presume everyone knows someone it's fits down to a tee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

cms88 wrote: »
    They're not the worst imo. The producer is a dose though.

They're better than the likes of Rory's Stories. I've said it once and i'll say it again i just still don't get it when it comes to him. Does he still play football does anyone know?

Buff Egan is another wore than him.

I don't think Rory does anymore. I heard an interview with him recently on the We Are Meath Podcast and he's actually sound enough but I don't find his comedy funny at all to be honest. Interestingly he did say in the interview he doesn't necessarily find his own comedy funny but he writes it for an audience. If he is making a living from it fair play. He was playing a bit of second team football a couple of years back but seems to have stopped. He was knocking around Meath underage teams at one stage when he was young.

Buff isn't a comedian. Or at least he isn't trying to be. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

rpurfield wrote: »
    I don't think Rory does anymore.

He is still playing a bit alright. Plays for the Ashbourne junior section which would be the clubs 3rd and 4th teams. Good target man to have for the kick outs.

I don't think Rory does anymore. I heard an interview with him recently on the We Are Meath Podcast and he's actually sound enough but I don't find his comedy funny at all to be honest. Interestingly he did say in the interview he doesn't necessarily find his own comedy funny but he writes it for an audience. If he is making a living from it fair play. He was playing a bit of second team football a couple of years back but seems to have stopped. He was knocking around Meath underage teams at one stage when he was young.

Buff isn't a comedian. Or at least he isn't trying to be. ;)

I could of a few other words to describe him :rolleyes:

cms88 wrote: »
    I could of a few other words to describe him :rolleyes:

Absolutely and none of them complimentary either.

Buff missed out on a chance to make cash. He had and still has a massive following. If he stopped the crazy posts about stuff like IRA and political stuff plenty companies would approach him for bits and pieces. I heard a garage in Cork were going to give him a sponsored car but then thought again when he said a few daft bits online.
    He had the hard work done creating a profile, just didn’t have the smarts to use it. Surprised the Healy Raes didn’t give him a few tips being neighbours
    He says he’s not doing it for the money. But that’s naive too, you’ll not get any extra credit for it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,036 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I never listened to them but like a lot of these guys I wonder what their long term sustainability is.

I saw them on TV and it seems that the podcast etc is their main gig at the moment, one of them packed in the butchering job to go full time at the podcast.

The stichk can only be funny for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Buff went through a phase a couple of years back of trying to call out Rory as well. I think what happened was Rory was in at an All Ireland that Buff couldn't get tickets for so he took it personally. It was actually hilarious reading it at the time. Made no sense at all. When Meath won the Christy Ring a couple of years back (think 2019) one of the players read out a poem at the homecoming that he'd written. It was funny enough but he included the line "even the eejit called Buff". He took that personally too, to the point where he'd be slagging off Meath hurling!

I think he's missed the boat on making a few quid but as is said already some of his posts would make sponsors run a mile.

Buff went through a phase a couple of years back of trying to call out Rory as well. I think what happened was Rory was in at an All Ireland that Buff couldn't get tickets for so he took it personally. It was actually hilarious reading it at the time. Made no sense at all. When Meath won the Christy Ring a couple of years back (think 2019) one of the players read out a poem at the homecoming that he'd written. It was funny enough but he included the line "even the eejit called Buff". He took that personally too, to the point where he'd be slagging off Meath hurling!

I think he's missed the boat on making a few quid but as is said already some of his posts would make sponsors run a mile.

The fact hes a few sandwiches short of a picnic doesnt help either!

I've said this before about Buff re tickets. He's problem isn't that he can't get tickets it's that he's not given them for free. For all he knew Rory's Stories paid for that ticket.

Him slagging Meath i anotehr case of him going off in a sulk when he doesn't get his way. His own club in Kerry didn't get tickets for the 2013 hurling final and went on a rant saying he'd never play with them again because he didn't get the ticket he was ''entitled'' to.

Outside of that i can never understand his gripe with the Two Johnnie etc getting paid to go gigs etc considering that's their actually job.

I never listened to them but like a lot of these guys I wonder what their long term sustainability is.

I saw them on TV and it seems that the podcast etc is their main gig at the moment, one of them packed in the butchering job to go full time at the podcast.

The stichk can only be funny for so long

One thing they have going for them, well i would say it's ''Johnny B'' more so, they do actually write songs etc so if the live shows etc stop he can a least fall back on song writing for others or himelf. It's the likes of Rory's Stories etc who could be in trouble once people get sick of their stichk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

The 2 johnnies gave a good explanation of there start on Tommy's show, from sketches to songs to podcast to touring podcast to a show and special on Rte, they're both sound lads and love the GAA both involved with the club.
    I'd say they may have a long term plan of TV show hosts like ant and deck and the podcast will stay going for a good while.
    I think Johnny B is still making Hurley's too?
    (Family trade are Hurley makers)

Rory's stories I've never found funny, don't get it, but he's books are fairly good, he's a very good speaker around the whole topic of minding yourself

Buff, Jesus there isn't enough words for that fella, huge huge missed opportunity by him to cash in and make a few pound etc, I heard the same story about a car dealer changing their mind, he has a permanent chip on his shoulder about not getting things for free despite not doing this for the money and all for the love of the GAA,
    For all the games he goes to he could easily have a YouTube channel with each games "Buff report" easy for papers, clubs and fan pages to share, not to mention a few t-shirts with his (borrowed WWE) sayings, but nope he refuses point blank, no interest just interested in being miserable and carrying that chip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Rory's stories I've never found funny, don't get it, but he's books are fairly good, he's a very good speaker around the whole topic of minding yourself

Most Irish "celebrities" are when the initial income streams start to dry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Poor man's D'Unbelievables. Used to listen to their podcast at the start every week but they became stale quick. Watched one episode of the USA show. They go into a legal marijuana shop and say "What's the craic" and find that hilarious. Bottom of the barrel kind of dad joke humour

Not for me. Maybe I've outgrown them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I find Johnny B/Noel Furlong parts funny, but the other lad (Johnny Smacks) and Maura are terrible

As for the show on Christmas Eve....it was desperate

The 2 Johnnies are doing well. I pay the €6 every month for the extra podcast on Patreon. The odd time they do a live pod and you get emailed a unique link to get on. They have one coming up for paddy’s day. But you can see how many people are logged on and if you multiply that by €6 it’s impressive monthly income from something that is only one part of their package

Buff is 90% a sponsors dream but the other 10% could ruin someone associated with him. There’s multi national companies paying graduates in marketing to try and improve their following through social media and they wouldn’t have a quarter of his following.
    It’s grand saying you wouldn’t take any freebie but you can’t turn around and slate people that do, that’s their choice. Plus as someone mentioned earlier it’s their job and there’s bills to be paid!

I find Johnny B/Noel Furlong parts funny, but the other lad (Johnny Smacks) and Maura are terrible

As for the show on Christmas Eve....it was desperate

Maura is so far up her own hole it's unreal. I don't even see what she actually brings to the whole thing.

(Johnny Smacks tries far far too hard as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

I think Johnny B is still making Hurley's too?

No, stopped that. Marked Smacks fella once, a big unit, but not a skilful one. Johnny B used have a band that sang at weddings etc.

For all the hate Buff gets, its great to be able to give 5 mins after a days work watching a game he was at. I'd love if some PR crowd rowed in with Buff and polished him a bit, he'd be a lot more entertaining than listening to the usual RTE crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Can someone explain what Buff Egan does, or what hes known for? Im aware of Rory and the Two Johnnys. Ive seen a couple of outraged retweets of Buffs stuff, but Ive never heard of him outside of that

benji79 wrote: »
    The 2 Johnnies are doing well. I pay the €6 every month for the extra podcast on Patreon. The odd time they do a live pod and you get emailed a unique link to get on. They have one coming up for paddy’s day. But you can see how many people are logged on and if you multiply that by €6 it’s impressive monthly income from something that is only one part of their package

Buff is 90% a sponsors dream but the other 10% could ruin someone associated with him. There’s multi national companies paying graduates in marketing to try and improve their following through social media and they wouldn’t have a quarter of his following.
    It’s grand saying you wouldn’t take any freebie but you can’t turn around and slate people that do, that’s their choice. Plus as someone mentioned earlier it’s their job and there’s bills to be paid!

Wow 6 quid for one podcast.

No recession in this country.

Wow 6 quid for one podcast.

No recession in this country.

No it’s €6 for the month

• Advertisement

benji79 wrote: »
    No it’s €6 for the month

Ya I know, but if I paid 6quid for every podcast I listen to I be homeless :pac:

Advertisement