Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right wing extremist group behind Dublin Protest say Gardai

Options
1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Well well, it does not surprise me in the least where Mr Merriman is from, aka THE FARM, 4 kids under his belt and he is only 30 yrs old, Unemployed , probably hasnt worked a day in his life, is on PUP.

What a fine upstanding member of society, once the Book of evidence is complete Id say the Judge in the Circuit court will give him a custodial sentence, good enough for him, total utter scumbag.

Good on the Judge in the District court for refusing jurisdiction and bumping up to the Circuit.

The lad that lit the fire work has been arrested also, fair play to the Gardai. Job satisfaction, job done.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0303/1200561-dublin-protest-courts/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Hurrache wrote: »
    Stand in front of me during some civil disobedience and I'll hit you in the head with a hammer. Now I don't intend to kill you, even though a hammer, which I swing intently, to the side of the skull has a high possibility of killing you.

It's irrelevant anyway as he hasn't been yet charged with it.

Shooting Fireworks at a group of Guards, whilst a very stupid and dangerous thing to do, It would never pass for attempted murder imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Invidious wrote: »
    I'd love to know Tighe's methodology for producing what looks to me like a wildly overinflated estimate.

The National Party received 4,773 first-preference votes in last year's elections. Only a minority of those voters could legitimately be classified as "far right," since the National Party also represents other interests (e.g., conservative Catholics, Euroskeptics, and others).

An estimated 300 people attended the anti-lockdown protest. Again, not all of those could be classified as "far right," by any means.

And yet we're expected to believe that over 100,000 people support the far right in Ireland? That stretches all credibility.

Using a facebook group as an example of anything is outright retarded unless some deeper analysis is done. Did he check to see how many members were in Ireland? Does he make an estimate as to how many people joined the group to 'monitor' the far-right like he does? Did he make an estimate as to how many people joined the group just to see what it was about but never bothered to leave having not particularly agreed with what's posted, you can unfollow a group but still be a member of it?

The simple fact remains that the far-right in Ireland is tiny, and yes, an eye should be kept on it, but it is not the boogeyman that some want us to believe.

After the last election, in which the Tory's pandered to elements of extreme nationalism, 5,000 members of Britain First, member of which were jailed for hate crimes, joined the party.

The card carrying far right don't get attracted to the party for the small chance of becoming a lord. In fact Britain First encouraged it's members to join with their spokeswomen Ashlea Simon saying

How did the Tory's pander to extreme nationalism?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Brexit. Not wanting to be a member of the EU is extreme nationalism apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

I knew it would be a little confusing and was wondering if someone would bite.

lots of time on your hands I see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

rightmove wrote: »
    lots of time on your hands I see

Usually people use acronyms to save time. I'm sorry if your roast fizzled out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Is that a real question?

Brexit? Windrush? Priti Patel suggesting sending migrants to the South Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Acosta

On Prime Time last night, John McGuirk mentioned the inconsistency between the coverage of last Saturday's protest and the coverage of the BLM protests that took place after the death of George Nkencho, i.e. the failure of RTÉ to mention the riots that took place in Blanchardstown after Mr Nkencho's death.

Given that no charges have been brought yet in relation to Mr Nkencho's death, what is the reason for that inconsistency? It cannot be the principle of sub judice due to no charges yet brought. Furthermore, the inquest is also a long period of time away from taking place.

Is RTÉ suppressing viewers' awareness of the Blanchardstown riots? Has anyone complained to RTÉ about this issue?

I wouldn't call those BLM protests per se. It was a reaction by family, friends and neighbour's to something that happened in the locality. And I wouldn't agree with some of what happened in the aftermath, however I can understand why emotions were running high. They were mourning, hurt and angry. Somebody died. It wasn't a few unemployable scumbags throwing fireworks, bottles and abuse at Guards and because they can't go to the pub.

A lot of the reaction from mostly racist far right accounts online to what happened on Saturday amounts to basically"but but what about Blanch". Even though the guy is dead, a good few out there still don't feel that the people close to him have suffered enough. There was plenty on here dancing on his grave in the aftermath as well. And a lot of social media accounts praising Mcguirks performance last night spent weeks posting lies and derogatory, insulting, racist abuse about the dead lad and his family.

The far right wanted a different reaction by the Guards, media and politicians to these protests that took place following his death because they want trouble and want to stoke hate and division because they're racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Stand in front of me during some civil disobedience and I'll hit you in the head with a hammer. Now I don't intend to kill you, even though a hammer, which I swing intently, to the side of the skull has a high possibility of killing you.

It's irrelevant anyway as he hasn't been yet charged with it.

What you're describing is man slaughter.

As for fireworks in Ireland here's the breakdown of what this eejit can expect...

It is an offence to:

Light an unlicensed firework
    Throw a lit firework at a person or property, except for low-hazard (F1) fireworks
    Have an unlicensed firework
    Have an unlicensed firework with the intention of selling it or giving it to someone else
    These offences are specified in Section 80 of the Explosives Act 1875, as amended by the Section 68 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006. These are arrestable offences. The Gardaí can arrest you without a warrant if they suspect you of having committed an offence under this Act.

If you are found guilty of any of the above offences:

On summary conviction (in the District Court), you are liable to a class C fine or to imprisonment for up to 6 months, or to both.
    On conviction on indictment (in the Circuit Court), you are liable to a maximum fine of €10,000 or to imprisonment for up to 5 years, or to both.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,495 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Attempted Murder !? That seems a bit of an over reaction to me, aggravated assault with a weapon yes but attempted murder ... nah

There's no such offence as aggravated assault with a weapon.

Acosta wrote: »
    I wouldn't call those BLM protests per se. It was a reaction by family, friends and neighbour's to something that happened in the locality. And I wouldn't agree with some of what happened in the aftermath, however I can understand why emotions were running high. They were mourning, hurt and angry. Somebody died. It wasn't a few unemployable scumbags throwing fireworks, bottles and abuse at Guards and because they can't go to the pub.

A lot of the reaction from mostly racist far right accounts online to what happened on Saturday amounts to basically"but but what about Blanch". Even though the guy is dead, a good few out there still don't feel that the people close to him have suffered enough. There was plenty on here dancing on his grave in the aftermath as well. And a lot of social media accounts praising Mcguirks performance last night spent weeks posting lies and derogatory, insulting, racist abuse about the dead lad and his family.

The far right wanted a different reaction by the Guards, media and politicians to these protests that took place following his death because they want trouble and want to stoke hate and division because they're racists.

Stoking hate and division.

You sure you can't see the irony in this?

I mean, you must be able to see you aren't exactly clamouring for unity. Unemployable scumbags who just wanted to go to the pub? I'm sure there were a few. Quite a few business owners too. But let's not mention them.

And as for blanket calls or racism, it seems like the people who diluted the word to mean nothing have lost their most powerful weapon.

If everyone is racist, then nobody is. People aren't afraid to be branded a racist or far right now, because it just means non left wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Acosta

Stoking hate and division.

You sure you can't see the irony in this?

I mean, you must be able to see you aren't exactly clamouring for unity. Unemployable scumbags who just wanted to go to the pub? I'm sure there were a few. Quite a few business owners too. But let's not mention them.

And as for blanket calls or racism, it seems like the people who diluted the word to mean nothing have lost their most powerful weapon.

If everyone is racist, then nobody is. People aren't afraid to be branded a racist or far right now, because it just means non left wing.

I'm well aware that there was plenty of people at the protest at the weekend who have no interest in violence, causing trouble or the far right. I was referring to a few I saw in the videos.

Is that a real question?

Brexit? Windrush? Priti Patel suggesting sending migrants to the South Atlantic.

Yes it's a real question. There was support for brexit across the political divide (some old school trade unionists supported it for example)

Windrush was a calamity, however to suggest it was done to pander to 'extreme nationalists' is stretching things. It resulted from a set of policies to reduce illegal immigration (which, whether you want to accept it or not, is not extreme nationalism).

Priti Patel's idea was part of a brainstorming session, and isn't quite the controversy you'd like us to believe it is. How was she to know such an idea would be made public.

'However, according to Home Office sources, the proposal only arose after Patel sought advice on how other countries deal with asylum applications. Australia, for example, keeps them on overseas islands while it processes claims'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/30/priti-patel-looked-at-idea-of-sending-asylum-seekers-to-south-atlantic

Oh, and just so you know, the idea of a hostile environment for illegal immigrants was first mooted by labour under Gordon Brown, a leftist government. Were they pandering to 'extreme nationalism' aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

I love how Brexit is now a "far right" stance, even though 52% of the UK's population voted for it. Are we really to believe that the majority of the British population is "far right"?

According to a recent Pew Research Center poll, 51 percent of Europeans want to see fewer or no more immigrants coming to their countries. According to some here, that would make more than half of Europe "far right."

It's clear that many want to define "the far right" as anyone who disagrees with the progressive left. Which is ludicrous, really.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Matter is now before the courts

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement