Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sifu (PS/PC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I found myself in the same boat, I really do want to play it, but I don't want to get burned with a non-returnable game (again). Picking up DL2 tomorrow and have downloaded and started a pallate cleanser from Now: Little Big Workshop! I'm a sucker for these types of games, until they get too complicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Review embargo is up and first reviews are immensely positive. All 8s and 9s.

I'd love to bite this week but am happy to wait for the physical release with the immense backlog and release schedule this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,291 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The early-access download for Sifu isn't working. Devs and PlayStation looking to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I hate that shyte anyway, pay an extra fiver to download a couple of days early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Going through some of the low reviews, i saw one give it 5/10 for being too hard and saying you'd be better off actually going out and taking a kung fu class. Imagine someone reviewing fifa saying you'd be better off joining a local football team for jaysus sake. Some sites saying though it gets very grindy having to constantly replay levels just to get good enough to beat the game. Maybe they just need to 'git gud' or it's genuinely not fun to try to get through. Looking forward to hearing user feedback.

Played the first level. It's definitely tough. The timing for parrying attacks seems very tight, and some attacks need deflect but also directional input. Unlike Sekiro though, it's much more difficult to read enemy attacks.

Input for combos or upgraded moves are a lot like beat-em-ups, but that can make it difficult with numerous enemies on screen.

It's nothing insurmountable though, at least not so far (though I have heard the second level will be the biggest stumbling block to get over). I died a couple of times in the first level. The amount you age by each time you die depends on if you beat other enemies to lower your death counter. So the first time you die, you age by one year (so 20 to 21). You die again, you age again by 2 years (21 to 23). However, you can reduce the amount you age by beating enemies, so if you died once to 21 and beat an enemy, then die again, you only age by one year again. So I died a few times in the first level, but I think I was still only 26. (Edit: Actually, from listening to a review, it seems only defeating certain enemies lower your death counter and how much you age. Still trying to figure out the mechanics myself).

I can definitely see why people might replay levels for xp. To unlock upgrades permanently you have to unlock it 5 times.

It was enjoyable so far anyway. Feels a bit simplistic but I think that's just first level kind of thing.

Post edited by Penn on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can't wait to pick this up. Don't mind the difficulty, as it looks fantastic when you chain together some moves.

Been watching some vids and really torn on this. On one hand, it doesn't look like much content but on the other, that content looks quality. It's reminding me more of OlliOlli 2 than Dark Souls where the emphasis is on nailing perfect runs. I could fly through that game as well but had no problem replaying it over and over to get better. Plus the fighting looks **** cool!

Also, never knew you could pick a female character, either I missed it or was never really mentioned?

• Advertisement

Yeah I had no idea about the female character either, and was confused when the choice appeared. Mostly went with male character though because I felt the beard growing as he ages would lend better to the visual representation of aging.

From what I understand too in terms of content, I think it's going to be a game where you do keep replaying earlier levels to unlock permanent upgrades, get your age lower for later levels etc, but you unlock shortcuts that can be used in levels so can take different paths. It's a risk/reward thing in that shortcuts means less XP, missing boost items etc.

Ok, preordered! Weirdly, the regular edition is no longer on the ps5 console store, just the deluxe edition for 45. Went into the ps mobile app and the regular edition was there for 40. Bought it through the app, then downloaded onto console. 7gb's later, I'm playing the game! It's not supposed to release until tomorrow! Must have to do with the mess up with the deluxe edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭McFly85

Very quick play this morning, have a feeling I’m going to enjoy it. It’s tough, no question! Got destroyed on my first attempt. Groups of enemies can be devastating. Second attempt was better though. I’ve read there’s a lot of repetition but that’s only ever a problem for me if the core gameplay isn’t fun which isn’t the case here.

I was a big fan of the brawler genre back in the day so it’s great to play one now that has a bit more to it that button mashing.

Devs have said they are already working on post content and have some great free content coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Had two goes now can't make it past the club level so going back to redo level one to try and get a better move set going forward , I like it but it is really difficult and I think for me outside of the 1st level boss who absolutely battered me that the most of the damage comes in when your surrounded by groups , all about getting better though

Ah ****! My copy won't open now, says payable in 16 hours :(

Went through the Club level about 4 times. Made it to the boss 3 times. Got absolutely lamped 3 times.

But, along the way I've focused on getting two permanent upgrades, and in my last attempt at the boss I've started learning how to avoid attacks rather than trying to parry or dodge out of the way (both of which meant I'd be too far from the f*cker when he stops attacking that I couldn't get a hit in). But that's also now something I can take and use with some of the other enemies I struggle against. I've been trying to parry almost everything, but I think it's more about holding L1 and a direction to dodge an attack, and then try parry the last hit.

It can definitely be frustrating at times. Some big hits (like the grabs from the big goons or bottle throws from enemies) can come at you with very little warning or when you're trying to avoid an attack from someone else. But the gameplay can also just be so satisfying at times, especially when you're in a flow.

Seconded on dodging. I started playing trying to parry everything, but it’s well worth taking some time to practice dodging. Did a second run of the first boss and it’s much more effective there.

Loving this, still on the first level, haven't played loads but loved what i have. Good shout on the avoiding strikes (L1 and Left stick), avoiding lots and looks cool.

Beat the 2nd boss, but was 69 (nehehe) so haven't moved on to the third level yet. Instead I went back to the first level and beat it without dying, so trying to get through The Club with minimal lives lost. Not going well.

I'm definitely getting better at dodges, but low attacks absolutely wreck me nearly every time. It just feels weird holding up to avoid it, my brain keeps telling me to hold down because that's what you'd normally do with low attacks (even though down is also to duck high attacks).

The camera doesn't always help things either, especially with the Club boss. Have found myself up against the wall or pillars a lot.

• Advertisement

Just beat the level 1 boss at the ripe old age of 39. Was handy enough but i have a feeling the club will be a rude awakening.

Yeah the club is tough as balls, gonna go back to get a better age on the squats. Fun as **** hell though. The animations are so smooth. Also just found that pressing right on the dpad does a hands behind the back taunt which just looks lovely. Could definitely do with a few more of those Bruce Lee 'come get it' gestures.

Redid the first level after taking a few batterings getting to the end of the second, managed to clear it without dying. Think it’s gonna take me a while to get anywhere near a decent age to finish the club!

Its so fun though. It really nails the feeling of being a total badass.

The only (minor)complaint I have right now is the camera! Some points you can get blocked in and lose some cheap lives. Not going to stop me trying though!

Tried the third level (starting age 45 or so) and got pretty far into it. Going to grind out the second level more though, reduce my age and get better at avoiding low dodges. Have been permanently unlocking some key upgrades too which is helping a lot.

Small tip that might be helpful to some

If there's a regular-looking enemy whose health is decreasing slower than everyone else, they're one of the d*ckheads who'll block your finisher and go super strong. However if you don't use your finisher, they should go down without activating by just reducing their health. Some of the time it's the same enemy, but I've noticed sometimes it can change. Not sure if it means your death counter still goes down or not but pretty sure it does.

I love the progression without actually progressing. I did the first level 3 times now. Age 39 beating it first time, 32 the second and then 23 the third time, confidently getting better but still making stupid mistakes like getting too confident. I haven't even thought about wanting to try new levels, just happy out fighting and getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Just started this today. Completed the first area aged 28 I think on the first go but I did spend some time practicing in the hub area. Haven't tried the club yet. Might give the squats a few more runs before I try it. Need to practice avoiding getting hit!

Really enjoyable so far. Very satisfying taking down groups of enemies.

Somewhat surprisingly beat Sean this morning at the ripe old age of 63, after going in at 48. Was going really just to practice and get my head around his attacks but got on a good run on the first phase which managed to see me out.

I had a very brief feeling of relief, like the one you get after finally beating a tough souls boss before remembering the first thing I’m going to have to do is the club again except better this time. This game lets you away with nothing!

Congrats! I made it to the boss of level 3 last night (the second half of that level is insane) but she royally kicked my head in. But as bad as she was, during the level I found a code I could use to open a locked room back in The Club. 2 enemies in that room. I aged from 21 to 63. Thankfully don't have to go back in there ever again as I collected the item in it, but holy hell I was slaughtered. I think I'm missing dodges because I may be dodging relative to the character instead of the camera, or vice versa. Have to do a bit more work on it.

• Advertisement

Beat Sean at the young age of 69, on my last life. The museum is class, that knife is deadly, but yeah, going back to the club at the sightly younger 23. I have that feckers Sean's number now, bollox kept spamming sweep attacks.

Post edited by Zero-Cool on

Advertisement