Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Pre" Covid Cases from This Time Last Year

Options
  • 23-02-2021 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

I got very sick this time last year - in bed for nearly 2 weeks, felt manky, sweats, cough - a nasty flu.
    Hadnt been sick like that since I had the flu in primary school.

I had been taking the AirCoach every week, so I reckon I would have been exposed to anyone coming from Italy or wherever, where Covid was more prevalent.
    I was worried that I infected my elderly relatives with Covid, and went to the hospital for a test to see if it was Covid. But they wouldn't test me, saying it was def not Covid.

There was some study done a few months later to check if my type of cases were Covid or not.

Did anyone hear the outcome of that study?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

I had the worst flu of my life last January. I was just back from Hong Kong and Macau. Temperature for five days.

Maybe it was just a flu but I wouldn't be surprised if I was the one that brought it into the country

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I know a good few people who had covid like symptoms in December 2019.

1 family (husband, wife, 2 kids) I know were absolutely floored by it over Christmas 2019 - it was very infectious and they were all in a bad way with covid like symptoms for a 2 week period.

I know other people too who are convinced they had covid in late 2019.

Buddy of mine strong as a horse (never sick) works as a bar man was absolutely floored by something very like covid mid December 2019. Loss of taste smell, fever, headaches, etc etc

I remember last year ppl on boards being rounded on and attacked and ridiculed for even suggesting it was covid

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

1 family (husband, wife, 2 kids) I know were absolutely floored by it over Christmas 2019 - it was very infectious and they were all in a bad way with covid like symptoms for a 2 week period.

Not likely to be covid. It's very unusual for a whole family to get it & even more unusual for two kids in the same family to get a very bad dose of it. Sounds like regular flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Me_Grapes

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Not likely to be covid. It's very unusual for a whole family to get it & even more unusual for two kids in the same family to get a very bad dose of it. Sounds like regular flu.

I was of the belief that whole households getting covid was extremely likely.

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    I was of the belief that whole households getting covid was extremely likely.

No. Most report husband & wife sharing a bed yet only one getting it. Even if whole families get it they typically get it to different degrees. Most children don't even know they have it, it can be so mild. Two adults & two kids all getting a severe dose sounds much more like flu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Me_Grapes

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    No. Most report husband & wife sharing a bed yet only one getting it. Even if whole families get it they typically get it to different degrees. Most children don't even know they have it, it can be so mild. Two adults & two kids all getting a severe dose sounds much more like flu.

I see.

Then the 4 households whom I know where virtually everyone had it were all just extremely unlucky.

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    I see.

Then the 4 households whom I know where virtually everyone had it were all just extremely unlucky.

Most definitely yes. I do notice you use the term "virtually everyone". Even if they all had it they don't all get the same dose. Some get it bad & others get it mild. My daughter in her late 20s is the only one in our house that had it. She lost her sense of taste & smell for half a day. She drove my wife to an eye procedure the day before she was tested. Two hours in the car with my wife. Children rarely suffer badly from it. The poster earlier said they all had a terrible dose inc the two children. This sounds more like flu than covid. If we didn't have a covid pandemic the poster would have happily described it as flu for the rest of their life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Flu is nasty and will kill you if you're old and/or have weak immunity. So if it was a bad dose it was just that you got proper flu not a very bad cold with flu-like symptoms - which is what most people who end up in bed for a few days actually have. Real flu has you out for the count for 5/7 days and with a lengthy tail on it "Oh I feel better - Oh I feel worse" for a week after.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Unless there's a report or new information on this I think the topic has been done to death.

Thread Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement