Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Barrow river

Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭✭ Steveop

Hi everyone

I’m just curious to know would it be possible to put my boat into the water in Waterford city and go to Naas through the barrow and onto the royal canal. It’s just a handy boat with a 25hp engine. Iv a bet on with my mates wife that it can be done😂 also if it can be done are the lock gates manned or how do you get through them. I think there’s a good few along the barrow. And roughly how long would it take

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Steveop wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I’m just curious to know would it be possible to put my boat into the water in Waterford city and go to Naas through the barrow and onto the royal canal. It’s just a handy boat with a 25hp engine. Iv a bet on with my mates wife that it can be done�� also if it can be done are the lock gates manned or how do you get through them. I think there’s a good few along the barrow. And roughly how long would it take

Thanks for reading

Waterford to Athy by the Barrow, Athy to Lowtown/ Robertstowm by Barrowline, Robertstown to Dublin by the Grand, cross the liffey and on to the Royal. Got to be in the region of 60+ locks.

Or Robertstown west to the Shannon and get on to the Royal that way.

The Royal doesn't go into Naas. Naas just has a branch line off the Grand near Sallins on the mainline.

Advertisement