Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant teachers, SNAs, School Staff Phased Return to School

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Interesting in the context that “ schools are safe” is still being trotted out, yet staff are considered unsafe in the environment. It will also be interesting to see if other “ high risk” staff will be upgraded to very high risk as a result of this . And imagine all the subs that will be needed , if only to cover maternity related leave .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Interesting in the context that “ schools are safe” is still being trotted out, yet staff are considered unsafe in the environment. It will also be interesting to see if other “ high risk” staff will be upgraded to very high risk as a result of this . And imagine all the subs that will be needed , if only to cover maternity related leave .

So can all pregnant staff work remotely now...when full school reopens?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Millem wrote: »
    So can all pregnant staff work remotely now...when full school reopens?

As it currently stands, that dispensation for primary school teachers and staff will end on March the 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 inbetweentea

Yes I can see the duties being at discretion of school Marshmallow Pop. That actually makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MarshmallowPop

As it currently stands, that dispensation for primary school teachers and staff will end on March the 12th.

When I rang the INTO 2 weeks ago to query something Medmark had told me, they said it was their number 1 priority to get this period extended. They might have been fobbing me off to get me off the phone but I hope not :p

• Advertisement

When I rang the INTO 2 weeks ago to query something Medmark had told me, they said it was their number 1 priority to get this period extended. They might have been fobbing me off to get me off the phone but I hope not :p

If Norma or anyone from The DES told me the weather I'd check it myself. You can be sure that the wording of this was very deliberately done. INTO have been caught on the hop with regards to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Is secondary after Easter then?

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Is secondary after Easter then?

As it currently stands.

https://www.education.ie/en/Education-Staff/Services/Breaks-Leave/coronavirus-covid19/Information_note_tc0010_2021.pdf

So it looks like high risk staff are back. Pregnant staff can continue to work from home until further clarification is sought.

https://www.education.ie/en/Education-Staff/Services/Breaks-Leave/coronavirus-covid19/Information_note_tc0010_2021.pdf

So it looks like high risk staff are back. Pregnant staff can continue to work from home until further clarification is sought.

My head is always spinning after these announcements.

Can they not give us a definitive answer...

Like...Pregnant will be working remotely until after the Easter holidays and we will review this the week prior to schools reopening.

I feel like we are stuck in Limbo Land a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 inbetweentea

My head is always spinning after these announcements.

Can they not give us a definitive answer...

Like...Pregnant will be working remotely until after the Easter holidays and we will review this the week prior to schools reopening.

I feel like we are stuck in Limbo Land a lot.

Yes they should make it clear. I feel that pregnant women will be allowed to work from home until summer- it makes sense but I've been wrong before!

Yes they should make it clear. I feel that pregnant women will be allowed to work from home until summer- it makes sense but I've been wrong before!

This would be the ideal.

My initial gut feeling said a few more weeks but who knows.

This would be the ideal.

My initial gut feeling said a few more weeks but who knows.

My gut is a few weeks then back after Easter. Personally I wouldn’t take the chance!! I think it would be sick leave unfortunately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you are “ out” before and after the Easter holidays on sick leave, you holidays are counted as sick leave .

If you are “ out” before and after the Easter holidays on sick leave, you holidays are counted as sick leave .

I know but sure what can you do!
    I was going to take sick leave if schools hadn’t closed last year in March when I was pregnant. It’s not a risk I would take.

On a side note I would recommend income protection!!
    Hopefully the unions will secure an agreement that pregnant staff can work from home.

I know but sure what can you do!
    I was going to take sick leave if schools hadn’t closed last year in March when I was pregnant. It’s not a risk I would take.

On a side note I would recommend income protection!!
    Hopefully the unions will secure an agreement that pregnant staff can work from home.

As soon as my child is finished with creche at the end of June and those fees can stop, I am going to take out Income Protection.

If remote working for pregnant teachers is not continued, my sick leave will be gone by October for basically 4 years.

Not a position I want to be in but my and baby's health is my priority.

As soon as my child is finished with creche at the end of June and those fees can stop, I am going to take out Income Protection.

If remote working for pregnant teachers is not continued, my sick leave will be gone by October for basically 4 years.

It’s a disaster. Sometimes Cornmarket have deals on income protection eg 6 months free. Check it out.
    I think I pay 1.62% of gross salary.

Never had to use it thank god but good to know it’s there :)

I have most of mine used up. Be careful with income protection,C**nm**et are experts at weaseling out of claims.

I have most of mine used up. Be careful with income protection,C**nm**et are experts at weaseling out of claims.

That is unfortunate for you :(

I am planning on going to a good financial advisor and getting good advice on this kind of thing.

Would you happen to know- if I was going to be off until October, if I went back in June for a few days and back in September for a few days, would they count the full summer as sick leave then?

Thank you :)

That’s terrible it’s New Ireland I think that make the decisions. They are the underwriters. My mum had to claim with it and my friend is currently claiming.
    They have added a specified illness benefit which came in very useful for her. You get 25% of your salary in a lump sum when you are diagnosed with certain illnesses. If you have to retire early on ill health grounds they continue to top up your pension/salary until you are 60. Something I never even looked at when I took it out.

• Advertisement

I am planning on going to a good financial advisor and getting good advice on this kind of thing.

Would you happen to know- if I was going to be off until October, if I went back in June for a few days and back in September for a few days, would they count the full summer as sick leave then?

You’d need to get past Medmark as being “fit”- friend with cancer tried to get certified as “ fit” over the holidays by doing that and was rejected . Tread carefully.

You will get a call from medmark when you miss 20 or 28 days I can’t remember.
    You need to get signed back fit for work.
    Medmark on both occasions I dealt with them they accepted my gp to sign me fit.
    Once you get signed fit you are back “working”.

You need to be back to work for a certain number of days before you can get sick again with the same thing or else they will argue it’s the same sick leave.

If that shower (dept of Ed) make pregnant staff go on site would you consider taking parental leave? If you are sick during your parental leave your parental leave is postponed and restarted when you are fit to mind your child.

You will get a call from medmark when you miss 20 or 28 days I can’t remember.
    You need to get signed back fit for work.
    Medmark on both occasions I dealt with them they accepted my gp to sign me fit.
    Once you get signed fit you are back “working”.

You need to be back to work for a certain number of days before you can get sick again with the same thing or else they will argue it’s the same sick leave.

If that shower (dept of Ed) make pregnant staff go on site would you consider taking parental leave? If you are sick during your parental leave your parental leave is postponed and restarted when you are fit to mind your child.

Oh, thank you, it is good to know all of these things. I find whoever you speak to from union can given you more information than others.

I don't think think parental leave would suit this time, I just can't afford it as my husband had to go on PUP payment from work as he had to take time off to run house as I am not 100% physically able yet.

I might have to suck it up and go back to work in June and for a few weeks in September. All going well health wise.

Who invented Medmark anyway :P

Oh, thank you, it is good to know all of these things. I find whoever you speak to from union can given you more information than others.

I don't think think parental leave would suit this time, I just can't afford it as my husband had to go on PUP payment from work as he had to take time off to run house as I am not 100% physically able yet.

I might have to suck it up and go back to work in June and for a few weeks in September. All going well health wise.

Who invented Medmark anyway :P

Fingers crossed the dept will allow you to work from home. :)
    Look after yourself.

Advertisement