Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nationwide Ban on smoky coal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's ok though. Much less smog in the capital. You can really smell the difference when you arrive in a small provincial town or village that's using smokey coal, that awful burning smell hanging in the damp.

How long do you have to live in Dublin before you no longer notice all the other smells?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

murpho999 wrote: »
    How is it? Why can't rural people use smokeless alternatives like urban people?

This is good legislation that will improve air quality and ultimately save lives.

It just seems that rural people seem to be against any progress at all.

We are not on the natural gas network like the city slickers.

Burning smokey coal in condensed urban areas obviously causes major problems for air quality, but if you are living in an isolated rural area the density of particles in the air will be greatly reduced and the public health impact is much less severe.

I should add i myself burn some coal, and only use the smokeless, but it really comes down to cost. Most people where i live wiil burn turf, which i do as the bogs are literally on our doorsteps. Its the cost. There may be a lot of labour, but bu saving it yourself it really cuts out a lot of expense in heating your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

How long do you have to live in Dublin before you no longer notice all the other smells?

Since the smokey coal ban Pre-covid Dublin City woke up to the smell of roasting coffee beans and the salty tang that comes with coastal cities. As the day goes on it's generally food smells in the city centre and as you travel out you're in to suburbia and then farming North, mountains South.... Very fresh. Generally it takes people no time to get used to the smells.

But hey... although we can learn lots from the capital, lets not make this a Dublin centric thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I lived in Rurdal Iredland for a few years and the absolute worst thing about it (apart from the people) was the oppressive stench of smoke lingering in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭KildareP

I'm near bogland and there's generational claims to sections of bog that are used to fuel all of their family homes.

The neighbour is one of them, and is year round burning turf, wood offcuts and their own household rubbish in the stanley for heat and hot water - there's days you'd swear they'd a blazing chimney fire judging by the billowing smoke and horrible stench coming out of their chimney. I'm surprised they haven't had an actual chimney fire to be honest.

Good luck convincing them to go and buy smokeless coal or put in a nice air to water heat pump to do their bit for the environment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 mickster29

My cute hoor neighbour living in the City, gets a truck load of turf delivered to his home every year. They are well off but enjoy smoking all his neighbours out of it. Tells us that he is doing nothing illegal and mind our own business. The smoke and particulate matter is dreadful. I have got to a stage where I may have no option but to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Smokeless coal is usually more expensive and gives poorer heat and you use more, there would need to be proper standards and price regulation,

What's that to do with rural people though? Urban people have the same problem.

Also, instead of burning stuff they should look at more modern central heating methods.

ShyMets wrote: »
    There will be no living in rural Ireland at this rate

Really? Is it smoky coal that's keeping people living in the country? Is that why they're there.

Totally ridiculous and non-progressive argument.

We are not on the natural gas network like the city slickers.

Burning smokey coal in condensed urban areas obviously causes major problems for air quality, but if you are living in an isolated rural area the density of particles in the air will be greatly reduced and the public health impact is much less severe.

I should add i myself burn some coal, and only use the smokeless, but it really comes down to cost. Most people where i live wiil burn turf, which i do as the bogs are literally on our doorsteps. Its the cost. There may be a lot of labour, but bu saving it yourself it really cuts out a lot of expense in heating your home.

There's other options, heat pumps , electric (modern ones are efficient) and even thermal heating.
    Burning has to stop and your argument about being isolated is not valid if everyone is doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

murpho999 wrote: »
    What's that to do with rural people though? Urban people have the same problem.

Also, instead of burning stuff they should look at more modern central heating methods.

Money isn't there, people have become very debt averse, telling people in their 60s and 70s they've to spend 15-20k to replace a range/stove,

• Advertisement
Advertisement