Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nationwide Ban on smoky coal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

what about charcoal?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

willabur wrote: »
    what about charcoal?

I Think they will be allowed as it's smokeless

I assumed this happened decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭POBox19

About time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I assumed this happened decades ago.

Yeah, I thought the same but that was only in Dublin.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

coconnellz wrote: »
    I Think they will be allowed as it's smokeless

not the way I smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

All the cities and most of the major towns in the country have been added to the ban over the years.

Here's an interactive map showing the areas where smokey coal is banned (blue areas were only added last year):

https://dcenr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=feee728a0ee1427d9a3973a090a9f292

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

All the cities and most of the major towns in the country have been added to the ban over the years.

Here's an interactive map showing the areas where smokey coal is banned (blue areas were only added last year):

https://dcenr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=feee728a0ee1427d9a3973a090a9f292

Another tax on rural Ireland.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I'm surprised this wasn't in place already. Good news, along with the end of commercial peat harvesting for low quality fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

coconnellz wrote: »
    New regulations being proposed by the government to ban the sale of smoky coal and unseasoned timber, RTE news : Govt proposing national ban on sale of smoky coal

http://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0218/1197804-smoky-coal/

IN urban areas there is a point to this but not in rural locations. Not many people near me would even dream using smoke free coal unless they have a stove. Most rural folk use the real fire. At least I have a local bog that I can cut turf off.
    Lots of former Bord na Mona people around as well with no future. People who have spent their entire working life in Bord na Mona and who are now 50 plus with no future but the labour. 30 years ago Bord na Mona was a job for life, sure the peat will never run out, most of the midlands is a bog but nobody saw Bord na Mona being wound down. Sad times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Tell that to my neighbours. They must be the last people in the country using a back boiler, and the amount of crap that comes out of their chimney is appalling sometimes. I don't know where they get their coal from, but it definitely isn't smokeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If its a health issue surely smoking should be banned as well,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Go out and cut some sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How is it? Why can't rural people use smokeless alternatives like urban people?

This is good legislation that will improve air quality and ultimately save lives.

It just seems that rural people seem to be against any progress at all.

murpho999 wrote: »
    How is it? Why can't rural people use smokeless alternatives like urban people?

This is good legislation that will improve air quality and ultimately save lives.

It just seems that rural people seem to be against any progress at all.

Smokeless coal is usually more expensive and gives poorer heat and you use more, there would need to be proper standards and price regulation,

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Go out and cut some sticks.

Is there a test to say they are seasoned or will Eamo come over and sprinkle some cayenne pepper on them

Whatever the pros and cons of this the overarching view will be that the government is trying to micromanage peoples lives and choices, this will cost votes for FF and FG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

There will be no living in rural Ireland at this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Zaph wrote: »
    Tell that to my neighbours. They must be the last people in the country using a back boiler, and the amount of crap that comes out of their chimney is appalling sometimes. I don't know where they get their coal from, but it definitely isn't smokeless.

Same here in Enniscorthy, it was grand for a while but the boys in the transit with the cheap smokey coal are back!! Bloody stuff is stinking. I haven't had a scrap of solid fuel in my house since 2000, don't miss it either.

ShyMets wrote: »

Why not? There are plenty and a lot less labour intensive methods of heating your home available, 1970 is long gone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's ok. They banned smokey coal thirty years ago in Dublin and we're still living. You're made or tough stuff, I'm sure you'll survive this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Burning coal for heat is bloody archaic anyway. It's a disaster for air quality. Hell, coal burning stations release more radioactivity than actual nuclear power. I don't know if the smokeless stuff is any better on that front, but every little helps.

I hope the government gives some thought to fuel poverty though: if this makes it a bit dearer to heat a house, they need to make sure pensioners aren't sitting perished in their 19th century hovels with a BER rating of "WTF is a BER rating?". Grants to rip out coal-burning heating systems and replace them would be a bit gentler to the same ultimate effect, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's ok. They banned smokey coal thirty years ago in Dublin and we're still living. You're made or tough stuff, I'm sure you'll survive this too.

I know. Slow day in work so thought I'd throw out the rural Ireland comment

Go and fill the coal scuttle and stop messing around on that computer, chop a bit of kindling for the morning while you're out there:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's not so much an anti rural measure but more designed to prevent smoky coal finding it's way into urban areas.

A house on it's own site in the country burning coal is not going to cause as bad an air quality problem.

However once the fuel is imported unscrupulous dealers will sell it in towns as well as to rural customers.

elperello wrote: »
    It's not so much an anti rural measure but more designed to prevent smoky coal finding it's way into urban areas.

A house on it's own site in the country burning coal is not going to cause as bad an air quality problem.

However once the fuel is imported unscrupulous dealers will sell it in towns as well as to rural customers.

Said 442,669 house owners on their own site in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Smokeless coal is usually more expensive and gives poorer heat and you use more, there would need to be proper standards and price regulation,

When smokeless coal first came in to Dublin we burnt through a few grates with the heat of the smokeless coal, never had any bother with smokey coal. 30 years later and my Dad still can't figure out that you don't get flames from smokeless coal so he's never got good heat because he's constantly moving it to get flames, if you leave it alone it will give plenty of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

It would seem anywhere over 10,000 population its currently banned.
    I see no harm banning it completely, lot easier to manage then, as it is I'm sure plenty purchase it outside of their area and burn it in restricted area.
    Good to try and encourage people away from coal altogether as a fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

this has been the law in the pale since Harney's reign of terror

• Advertisement

this has been the law in the pale since Harney's reign of terror

It's ok though. Much less smog in the capital. You can really smell the difference when you arrive in a small provincial town or village that's using smokey coal, that awful burning smell hanging in the damp.
    Is there a test to say they are seasoned or will Eamo come over and sprinkle some cayenne pepper on them

Modern stoves won't burn damp wood.

Advertisement