Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positivity out of covid times.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Have the apartment to myself. Being a fairly massive introvert this is a huge positive and wfh.

Other than that everything else is ****.

I live abroad and they're going to want for nothing. Not everyone is close to their family.

Oh absolutely. I have a million cousins and the majority of them are strangers to me. Your phrasing just struck me as a bit cold, that its a positive nothing having to bother with two little kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Oh absolutely. I have a million cousins and the majority of them are strangers to me. Your phrasing just struck me as a bit cold, that its a positive nothing having to bother with two little kids.

I go home twice a year. I'm basically a stranger in my own hometown. There's nobody in the area I know at all. I just don't see the point of going to things like christenings when the new baby hasn't a clue what's going on.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Introverts don't have to make the effort of making small talk in the office, huzzah!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I go home twice a year. I'm basically a stranger in my own hometown. There's nobody in the area I know at all. I just don't see the point of going to things like christenings when the new baby hasn't a clue what's going on.

Presumably to reconnect with others so that you are no longer a stranger in your family. Of course that isn't important to some people but it is to many, so they might find your phrasing strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Great, a bunch of people with steady jobs and settled families telling us all how great it is to work from home and save loads of money. :rolleyes:

I could make a long list of all the negative things that have happened to me over the last year too.

But this is not the thread for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

There are actually a lot of positives in the form of lessons to learn from this - problem is, because they're all things that show most people things they've been doing wrong all their life, we'll mostly choose to ignore them all.

From the people with "nothing to do" unless they're out on the p1ss to the fact most of us used to have pointless commutes to go from a bed to a desk and vice-versa, the list is long. But rest assured - once this will be over, we'll go back to do exactly as we were, wondering why things never change...

If anyone is feeling down I'd recommend getting vitamin D tablets. They help with low mood and apparently are useful in combating Covid, I'm not 100% sure on the latter fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

If anyone is feeling down I'd recommend getting vitamin D tablets. They help with low mood and apparently are useful in combating Covid, I'm not 100% sure on the latter fact.

100%, and when all the tablets are gone, you can play with the bottle!

Hours of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭YellowLead

My only positive is that it has given me a greater appreciation for my pre covid life - I feel like I took so much for granted. Looking back it was like a heavenly utopian dream!
    Nothing positive about living in covid times for me - they have been hell on earth.
    But when we get out of them I think we will all have a renewed appreciation for our freedom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Presumably to reconnect with others so that you are no longer a stranger in your family. Of course that isn't important to some people but it is to many, so they might find your phrasing strange.

I've tried. At a recent family wedding, all anybody had any interest in was English football and how many miles their new vehicle was getting to the gallon. At some point, I just lowered my expectations and things are much better.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I've tried. At a recent family wedding, all anybody had any interest in was English football and how many miles their new vehicle was getting to the gallon. At some point, I just lowered my expectations and things are much better.

I see you have a (great) quote by Jean-Paul Sarte in your sig.

As you know, he was a big footy fan, so why not bring him into the conversation the next time someone's banging on about the misery of Jürgen Norbert Klopp.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭The Wizards Sleeve

You can have The Eagles - Hotel California blaring out of the soundbar as you work from home. :D

''You can check-out any time you like,
    But you can never leave''

Ordering lots of presents for myself and eagerly awaiting them.

:)

Just out of interest, what was the average abouts figure, and was there a compelling case for the hybrids based on the real world info?

Do cancer next will you, plenty of positivity to be found there as well.

So you range from looking for offence to hugely offensive in two posts?

Im sure that you're a huge loss to all the parties we arent able to have, alright

• Registered Users Posts: 18,346 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So you range from looking for offence to hugely offensive in two posts?

Whats offensive about looking for positivity out of horrible situations?

I think I get it now. For example, one positive thing about Covid is that with all the small businesses gone I should be able to get some bargains on warehousing and office space. Excellent.

Whats offensive about looking for positivity out of horrible situations?

I think I get it now. For example, one positive thing about Covid is that with all the small businesses gone I should be able to get some bargains on warehousing and office space. Excellent.

See? Every cloud...

Mod: This thread is supposed to be about finding the positives. Can we all please stay on that topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Being able to stop and breathe and realise what is ACTUALLY important. The opportunity to re-evaluate has been the biggest thing for me.

I was a hamster on a wheel before COVID, busy corporate job in a big city, hopping on and off planes, "friends" that weren't friends, drinking too much, not sleeping or eating properly, devoting my life to a job I half liked in a city that stressed me out.

Since Covid, I've been WFH remotely and mostly from my hometown, I've spent more time with my family than I have since I was a teenager. When your parents are ageing that means everything. I've realised, do you know what, I don't love where I'm at in life, physically or mentally, and with that I've made a series of life changes including moving country, meeting my partner and (next month) quitting my job.

I'm very lucky to be healthy, without financial worry and I know that's huge. And it's also made me question, if it did end tomorrow, could I say I lived the life I wanted to live? And that's triggered such a change in mindset and some big environmental changes for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,345 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think and hope a lot of pointless travelling for work and meetings will be reduced and it will be possible for rural dwellers to access city jobs. Hopefully there will be a bit of rural regeneration too. One of our local pubs has started doing coffee and cakes and it could be a viable long term option. No cafe in our village before now but huge demand for it.

fits wrote: »
    I think and hope a lot of pointless travelling for work and meetings will be reduced and it will be possible for rural dwellers to access city jobs.

I really hope this is what happens post covid. It would be a huge missed opportunity otherwise.

I have colleagues with young children and they get to spend more time with them. Surely that will produce a strong societal benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I really hope this is what happens post covid. It would be a huge missed opportunity otherwise.

I have colleagues with young children and they get to spend more time with them. Surely that will produce a strong societal benefit.

I’m delighted that the kids that normally are discarded in the atreet to roar and scream and kick balls up against windows and cars (but never their own) are now locked up with their owners in their own homes. I already am experiencing much of the Covid benefit of this.

Happy Days.

My local bookstore now keeps the choice of the best of the new titles back for me - I support a local business and get to gloat and circulate good books amongst ‘my people’ while spending money on a cause and in a business I like. Covidbonus.

Almost no traffic. If there was anywhere to go you would get there really quickly. Brilliant for air pollution reduction & the wildlife. Happy Days.

I can have bad face day any day I like and Ll I have to do is put on a mask. covidbonus.

On really bad days i can go out in dirty or mud stained clothes and chug a beer as I walk along and all I have to do is pull a hat down and a mask up and I can get away with murder... speaking of which... the ultimate covidbonus...

Its important to be positive especially during a crisis. I feel positive about the vaccine roll out and it helping us out of the pandemic. Lots of good things happened in my life last year, the year that brought this insufferable plague upon us.

Positives coming from Covid though? I mean I could post about meaningful things like "bringing people together" "appreciating all we have" "the kindness of strangers".
    Truth is Wizard I just don't feel it. Every single aspect of Covid has been horrible and no amount of perspective can change that reality for me.

My hope and positivity is for the future :)

Wait! I have one!!

The thoughts of getting Covid and not being healthy enough to fight it has caused me to exercise more, eat healthier and take lots of vitamins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ax530

I've more of an insight into childrens school, structure of topics and lesson. Also i keep an ear on their zoom calls so I know more about some of the classmages. Notice teacher seem to ask the same few to contribute and also reognise those who cant wait to say their bit each call starts with a 'any news' which is funny as no one has news but as a result I know a bit about some of the other childrens.
    Reduced work travel also welcome however I do miss the odd quiet night in a hotel while away with work.
    Not having to plan or watch the clock. Think I will find it hard adjusting back to people wanting to arrange\plan\book things. what you doing this day that day time and place find it stressful at the best of times.

I can't really see a huge pile of positives but it's definitely made me appreciate what I took for granted alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭SeaMermaid

I hate covid but a positive from the pandemic is there's less colds and flu. This is a big positive for me.

A head cold always left me banjaxed - sore throat, thrist, stuffy nose, earache, cough, headache. A lack of sleep at night due to a stuffy nose and cough. You were always expected to keep on going and it would be ongoing for the duration of the cold. Work sick days are the minimum and only really allows for a more serious sickness like flu or a hospital sickness. It doesn't allow for a headcold or not feeling 100%. There's a real element of cruelty and torture about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

Lemme see.

No longer need to meet and greet repugnant human beings in foyer.
    Not stood waiting in elevators making small talk with brainless suits
    Have let the car fall to pieces, hated the thing and whatever happens now it is no longer road worthy so that chapter is finished in my life.
    Have not seen my mother in law in 18 months and so am not being pestered with insinuation about pregnation.
    Have lost a lot of weight, back to teenage weight, slim as a pencil now although I must still tone belly somewhat.
    Played Shogun Total War for weeks on end whilst supposed to be working

Advertisement