Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positivity out of covid times.

Options
  • 16-02-2021 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Practically everything around covid is so negative that it's exhausting for so many people. Everybody has had a different level of pain, loss and suffering during these covid times but I think it's safe to say everybody has suffered in some form with it.

Within all this negativity there still is some positives so I thought it might be nice to have a thread with a positive vibe to it where people can post positives that have come out of covid times for them. I know the list of positives mightn't be lengthy but no harm to try and spread some positivity during these times! :)

I'll start with a few sure.....

The option to work from home wasn't there for me before. I have two young kids and it's meant more time at home with them and my wife rather than being on the hamster wheel of rushing out the door in the morning to make the creche etc. and has been beneficial to us as a family.

The option of so many tasty takeaways that weren't there before! :D I feel bad for bar and restaurant owners with how badly stung they've been but I've huge admiration for the entrepreneurship of business owners in that sector and across other businesses too, how they've remodelled their businesses to suit the current environment. The resilience and creativity of people is another positive to take out of these times.

I'll give one more positive I've taken from these times and that's been stopping and taking stock. Things I had taken for granted, like having contact with my parents. It's easy with the pace of life sometimes to take things like that for granted but I think you can look at that as a positive out of these times. To have that space to reflect on what's important in life and appreciate it all the more when we get back to the good times.

I hope this thread can bring some positivity. Maybe there's one already. I probably should have checked first. :D
    Anyways onwards and upwards. The good times will be back!...... eventually :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

"Oh yeah
    Life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ronald Franz

Is positivity in a crisis linked to Stockholm Syndrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

COVID wrote: »
    "Oh yeah
    Life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone"

Feck off COVID.

Great line though.

I've saved a lot of money this past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,627 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hmm, is there positives about Covid?

nooooooooooooooooooooooo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

There is no talk about war, and very little military Mickey swinging going on. So we have peace at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah, more time at home with the kids is a positive, to an extent, we've 4 aged 5 and under.

They haven't been picking up bugs and illnesses in creche, no hospital trips in 12 months whereas we had been in every few months before with chest infections leading to asthma attacks, adenovirus stomach bugs etc.

I'm on the road a lot with my job normally, so its nice not to be doing the miles, I've always felt I was at risk of a road accident etc as it was usually bad country roads I'd be travelling on, especially in winter, so that's a plus too.

As you say, time to take stock and realise what is important, definetly need to visit my mother more who is on the other side of the country when we can travel again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

All this bollocks about reflecting and taking stock...

There's nothing good about this situation. It is deadly dangerous, and highly unpleasant for a lot of people. Economies, this one included, will take years to recover, if some of them ever do. Thousands more will die before we see the back of this. People's mental health is going down the tubes. We can't even bury the dead properly.

One of the worst things about it is that the media literally Never. Shuts. The Fuck. Up. About. It.

Personally, I'm one of the lucky ones. My income hasn't been affected, and it's been an opportunity to brush up on my cooking and let rip my inner antisocial bastard. But I can't get into the car, go to work, and come away out of it in the evening leaving it after me. I can't go for a pint. I can't hop into said car and trundle out to the Viaduct for a Farmer's Dinner. Calling into he local Centra is like something out of The Stand.

Positivity my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,862 ✭✭✭✭listermint

jimgoose wrote: »

There's nothing good about this situation. It is deadly dangerous, and highly unpleasant for a lot of people. Economies, this one included, will take years to recover, if some of them ever do. Thousands more will die before we see the back of this. People's mental health is going down the tubes. We can't even bury the dead properly.

One of the worst things about it is that the media literally Never. Shuts. The Fuck. Up. About. It.

Personally, I'm one of the lucky ones. My income hasn't been affected, and it's been an opportunity to brush up on my cooking and let rip my inner antisocial bastard. But I can't get into the car, go to work, and come away out of it in the evening leaving it after me. I can't go for a pint. I can't hop into said car and trundle out to the Viaduct for a Farmer's Dinner. Calling into he local Centra is like something out of The Stand.

Positivity my arse.

Yeah thanks Jim.

Great insight.

Zzzzzzzzz

Been a good thing overall for me personally in terms of savings, commute, reconnecting a bit more with hobbies, cooking, reading

I think its ok to admit that in a thread specifically for the purposes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I've saved a lot of money this past year.
    Same, and that's the only positive out of this.
    Big holiday whenever it's possible again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

The environment has benefited. We will meet our EU CO2 emissions targets

Barna77 wrote: »
    Same, and that's the only positive out of this.
    Big holiday whenever it's possible again.

Good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

listermint wrote: »
    Yeah thanks Jim.

Great insight.

Zzzzzzzzz

Indeed. Almost as good as yours. Goodnight fuckin' Irene.

jimgoose wrote: »

Positivity my arse.

It's life Jim, but not as we know it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    There is no talk about war, and very little military Mickey swinging going on. So we have peace at last.

you not watching the news then
    yemen and Nagorno-Karabakh conflict two that spring to mind

tigray war in sudan/ethiopia

myanmar military overthrow

thats just off the top of my head just cos the news is full of people reading covid numbers doesnt mean that things arent going on.

i suppose the lack of international travel might actually make reporting more difficult

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Christmas do cancelled, dodged a few weddings and I've a new niece/nephew on the way I don't need to bother about. I mean, it's been awful but there have been a small few positives.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 30,435 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

No guests calling over.
    No need to tidy up get in special food for those guests.
    No invitations to birthdays, christenings, etc.
    Nobody hassling you in the street.

No guests calling over.
    No need to tidy up get in special food for those guests.
    No invitations to birthdays, christenings, etc.
    Nobody hassling you in the street.

No New Year's Day to celebrate
    No chocolate covered candy hearts to give away
    No first of spring, no song to sing
    In fact, here's just another ordinary day
    No April rain, no flowers bloom
    No wedding Saturday within the month of June

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

no GAA

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    no GAA

Every cloud, eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I've been pretty healthy over the last year or so, I haven't had even a cold iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Great, a bunch of people with steady jobs and settled families telling us all how great it is to work from home and save loads of money. :rolleyes:

Great, a bunch of people with steady jobs and settled families telling us all how great it is to work from home and save loads of money. :rolleyes:

Yes, I must say I've enjoyed watching my bank balance soar over the past year.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,435 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Oh I forgot no need to call to visit people either or no need to go to funerals.

Christmas do cancelled, dodged a few weddings and I've a new niece/nephew on the way I don't need to bother about. I mean, it's been awful but there have been a small few positives.

A new niece and nephew you 'don't need to bother about' ? :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A new niece and nephew you 'don't need to bother about' ? :(

I live abroad and they're going to want for nothing. Not everyone is close to their family.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

COVID wrote: »
    No New Year's Day to celebrate
    No chocolate covered candy hearts to give away
    No first of spring, no song to sing
    In fact, here's just another ordinary day
    No April rain, no flowers bloom
    No wedding Saturday within the month of June

No income tax no vat

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Yes, I must say I've enjoyed watching my bank balance soar over the past year.

:D

The pandemic has affected people in different ways. I’m retired and kids reared so it has had a smaller impact on my life than most. The Spring is here and the birds are starting to build and the days are getting longer. This will have a positive impact especially when the days get warmer.

• Advertisement

Great

Someone with fifty covid threads acknowledging all the hardship who still had to come into a clearly-marked thread to complain that it is what it says it is in the title

Well done

Advertisement