Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV programmes that have run their course

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cushty!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Lovely jubbly! you know it makes sense.

it's like my mom used to always say, he who dares wins!

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Only Fools is one of the few comedies that got better as it went on, Blackadder the same, Yes Minister as well.

Then you'd Fawlty and the UK office which left it at the perfect 2 seasons.

"But you started it".

"No, you did, yous invaded Poland".

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

oi! now just what exactly is your game!? any more of that carry on and i'll be getting ghandi's revenge! that ruby did'nt go down so well last night.

although at the time it went down a treat as it happens

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thereiver

I think first dates is still worth watching as it has different types of people on it some boring some awful some charming .dancing with the stars Ireland should be called dancing with random actors

I can see no point in The voice now that anyone with any singing talent can put a video on TikTok or YouTube

I think the masked singer is mainly watched by kids who think the costumes are funny

I presume anyone that watches fair city is over 50 and has only saorview channels

Rte is like the bbc a public service tv station they have to make news and current affairs programs

Someone must be watching them otherwise why do EastEnders Coronation street random soap opera,s still exist

British bake off is a well made program with a good cast ,judges and presenters who can be funny sometimes and you do need some talent to get on the program

Neighbours was good in the 80s the new version looks awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

Do you know what we need? A TV gameshow where contestants get mashed regularly. Something like Takeshi's Castle or Wipeout, but with an Irish flavour. With games like having to get past a narrow footbridge while the opposing throws soccer balls at you form 20 yards to knock you off, and other such obstacles.

Go around to the various colleges and get volunteers per episode, give them a few drinks beforehand and let the madness ensue.

sounds like alot of the kids challange based shows that already exist, well minus ireland and alcohal parts. Perhaps your idea + putting celebritties as the contestants. Now thats something i can imagine people wanting to see the celebs get mashed lol.

i remember episodes of various kids gameshow/physical challange/obstical course things like the likes of crystal palace, raven, jungle run, that sort of thing, and loving it when adults come onto those shows as contestants and absolutely dominate blowing through all of the challanges and ruining the game. Sometimes contestants are dumb do and lose to kids or get locked inside of that big fat golden buddha thing.

Very funny now that i look back on it.

i think your idea is a really good one, perhaps we could add 2 commentators to roast the celeb contestant, or have 1 on their side and the other on the audiences side mocking them in a jokey way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

It can die a natural death soon enough. They do a letter of the alphabet every year, and are on 'U' at the moment. 5 more left.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some of the OFAH specials done in the last few years of its run were a bit ropey to be honest. Should've quit when they were ahead really.

OTOH Rock and Chips was interesting, would have liked to see another series or two of that but it wasn't to be.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭its_steve116

James Buckley was in Rock and Chips, and the creators of his most famous show, The Inbetweeners, went on to create a BBC Two sitcom called The First Team which again only lasted one, six-episode season.

• Advertisement

Make sure to check out "the green green grass" its following the events of OFAH, a sequal spin off sort of thing with boyice and his wife.

i still havent been able to watch rock and chips yet, no where is uploading it free lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭animalinside

I wouldn't phrase it like that exactly, I think a lot of comedies need a season or two of "breaking in" and then reach their full stride from the third season or so onwards and can be around the same level then for years. If you notice characters are often somewhat different in the first season before they settle into their role.

Naturally over the years comedies can start running out of material, actors reach different stages in their lives, a sense of having done it all before/monotony, and so the quality can go down and then it's cancelled. Some British comedies had this idea of going out on a high, which I don't believe was the right way at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Didn’t enjoy the green green grass… it lacked for me the writing… wit, pathos and cleverness of OFAH…. Which is an issue when you have two of the main reoccurring and liked OFAH characters as suddenly the lead characters …. The GGG had 41.7 % audience share for the first episode, 16.5 % for the last one. It just didn’t resonate with the public and they deserted it… it was too hammy or something……think what was great about OFAH was most of the characters were true to real life, in every family, or pub setting or workplace you could pick someone even if they were slightly eccentric who was a bit like a character from OFAH…. Especially in the early days of Fools, Boycie as funny as he was, could be a right dastardly, spiteful, seriously malevolent cúnt, where he was just a cranky buffoon in GGG and a lot of the other characters the same…buffoons, Boycie…. Raise the eyebrow, give the look and deliver the line……rinse, repeat…

you had all these buffoonish hammy, clownish country bumpkins turning up and it just was a bit meh…..

whereas in Fools, a Trigger, Mike, Grandad, Albert, Raquel, Cassandra…. Were more real, relatable but still funny…

yeah there was some annoying parts to it, not gonna lie. Is Rock and chips any good? is it worth giving a watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Greengrass53

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thereiver

Googlebox is entertaining they look at different programs every week if you don't like it don't watch it .the UK and American version of dancing with the stars have semi famous people on them .it takes skill and training to dance to a high standard in public I think at this point most people are tired of watching people singing cover songs on the voice

Shows like the British bake off gets millions of viewers. If you can invent a new reality show format it can be sold to country's around the world

Reminded me of this Harry Enfield sketch...

"Eff Off!"

(Lovely Jubbly is second from left.)

the JVC on the jerseys takes me back many years, thanks for that nostalgia <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Ramsey's American nightmares

It's the same every show he fukks the head of one of them

Comes up with a new menu usually a beefburger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I used to quite enjoy this at the start but then found myself getting itrritated (as I do with other shows of this ilk) about how contrived it all is.

The 'suspenseful' style of editing of these shows also gets on my wick.

There's hardly a reality show around that isn't scripted to within an inch of its life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

It used to be good. Now he's a family counsellor

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Uk comedy 'panel' shows in general. There seems to be a dumb panel show on every conceivable concept these days, with the most unfunny, woke, insufferable "comedians" around. I'm sure these comedians make their entire salary from appearing on the conveyor belt of these shows, because there is no way on earth anyone would pay to see some of these people in an actual gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Rock and Chips is well worth a watch. Not as funny as OFAH, probably more drama than comedy to be honest, but worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

TV is a conveyor belt of sh1t

There's no end to it not without WW3 anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Have I Got News For You.. Just watched a 2020 episode 🥱

awful stuff… the guests were just silent for the most part and Hislop and Merton were just phoning it in… the guest host Jennifer Saunders despite her funny woman reputation just not able to spark anything funny controversial or outrageous, just reading from the prompter verbatim it looked like, totally a zzzz fest.

the dynamic was great with Deyton… when they’d pile onto him, he was pretty good at taking it and giving a bit back… what I just watched was horrendous… no appetite to go after the host… almost as if they’d been asked not to, no spontaneity. Guests too were almost mute 🤐

should have gotten a permanent Deyton replacement who could have become part of the permanent dynamic, at time’s actively the butt of jokes….someone the lads won’t have been hesitant to go after…or else just bin it for good…

Yes what is? Do you mean 'yes there is'?

I'm all ears.

• Advertisement

A friend of mine thought Angus Deayton was a member of AC/DC!

Advertisement