Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experiences of refusing to take a bag at the checkouts

Options
  • 15-02-2021 11:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

Does anyone else here do this for the sake of the environment? Let's face it, a huge amount of the time that shopping is done there's no need to take the bag what so ever.

Some cashiers don't seem to have a notion why I refuse to take a bag when at the till. A girl in pennies recently put a gift card I purchased into a bag. As she was about to put it in I said that it was fine without the bag. She then threw the bag in the bin. It would actually have been easier to put the bag back on the pile. Broke my heart.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Does anyone else here do this for the sake of the environment? Let's face it, a huge amount of the time that shopping is done there's no need to take the bag what so ever.

Some cashiers don't seem to have a notion why I refuse to take a bag when at the till. A girl in pennies recently put a gift card I purchased into a bag. As she was putting it in I said that it was fine without. She then threw the bag in the bin. Broke my heart.

Thoughts and prayers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Some cashiers don't seem to have a notion why I refuse to take a bag when at the till. A girl in pennies recently put a gift card I purchased into a bag. As she was putting it in I said that it was fine without. She then threw the bag in the bin. Broke my heart.

Miserable fcuk, a gift card from pennies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm delighted for you that your life is so perfect that something as simple as a bag being thrown in the bin breaks your heart. Most of us have much more pressing issues to be broken hearted over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Miserable fcuk, a gift card from pennies ?

Surely the value of the gift card is the same whether from Pennys or Brown Thomas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

You’re thinking too much into it. Why do you care if she knows why you don’t want a bag?

The woman at the till doesn’t care why you refuse a bag, whether it’s because you wanna prove you care for the environment so much or simply don’t have the money in your pocket ..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

In this day and age you'd have to be a bit special not to get it.. saying that, any place I've been lately the policy has been not to give you a bag unless you ask for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ronald Franz

Why didn't you just give cash, instead of creating more plastic waste in the form of a gift card?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I usually bring my own bag.

Depending on what she buys she might need more bags :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Why didn't you just give cash, instead of creating more plastic waste in the form of a gift card?

Or OP -tell the recipient that you have walked somewhere instead of taking the car/bus and their present is 3 kg less CO2 in the atmosphere.
    They will love you for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

My parents usually bring their own bags when they shop.

• Advertisement

If i'm only buying a few small items that i can carry in my arms to the car then i'll bring no bags but it's so ingrained in me now for the last few years to always bring my own bag. I have lots at home and fold one into my jeans pocket before i go into the the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,434 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Surely somebody who cares so much about sustainability and all that shouldn't be shopping at Penneys or purchasing presents there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

I'm delighted for you that your life is so perfect that something as simple as a bag being thrown in the bin breaks your heart. Most of us have much more pressing issues to be broken hearted over.

A typical way to avoid discussing the actual issue. The quality of posts on boards is declining.

• saying that, any place I've been lately the policy has been not to give you a bag unless you ask for one.

This is my experience too.

They may ask me if I want a bag, but I can't remember the last time I was just given one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Surely the value of the gift card is the same whether from Pennys or Brown Thomas ?

But it can only be used in Penney’s, which is mostly full of fast fashion rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Surely somebody who cares so much about sustainability and all that shouldn't be shopping at Penneys or purchasing presents there.

Cheap, throwaway tat destined for landfill, a recyclable paper bag isn't the issue here.

You’re thinking too much into it. Why do you care if she knows why you don’t want a bag?
    You misunderstand me. I'm not claiming that she should have been able to read my mind. I'm simply using this example to illustrate how people aren't conscious about these things.
    The woman at the till doesn’t care why you refuse a bag
    I know. Once again you misunderstand me.
    ...or simply don’t have the money in your pocket ..
    The bags are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Some cashiers don't seem to have a notion why I refuse to take a bag when at the till. A girl in pennies recently put a gift card I purchased into a bag. As she was about to put it in I said that it was fine without the bag. She then threw the bag in the bin. It would actually have been easier to put the bag back on the pile. Broke my heart.

And this has been on your mind the whole 7 odd weeks since Pennies has closed...

JeffKenna wrote: »
    And this has been on your mind the whole 7 odd weeks since Pennies has closed...
    Pennys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Penneys

Makes cents.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Penneys

This is hilarious.

The OP tries to be a smart arse by incorrectly correcting someone else, when the original post refers to ‘pennies’.

The OP is all over the shop. Not Penneys though since they are currently closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

You've not been in Pennys recently no one has hey everyone the op is a phony

You've not been in Pennys recently no one has hey everyone the op is a phony
    That is slander.

I was buying a Christmas present at the time.

‘Deemed as Normal’. I would like to meet the person who made that judgment.

That is slander.

I was buying a Christmas present at the time.

Did you meet anyone at the bus stop on your way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Man, first world problems.

Man, first world problems.
    Such a typical way of avoiding addressing the issue; dismissing the issue of over-consumption as a first world problem! And is it still a first world problem when this rubbish comes back to you in the air or water?

Do you know 8 million people die every year as a result of air pollution. I'm not saying that's directly related to this girl throwing away one bag, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

You could always do a spoken poem in a Dublin accent to complain about it.

• Advertisement

Such a typical way of avoiding addressing the issue; dismissing the issue of over-consumption as a first world problem! And is it still a first world problem when this rubbish comes back to you in the air or water?

Do you know 8 million people die every year as a result of air pollution. I'm not saying that's directly related to this girl throwing away one bag, but still.

If you were worried about over-consumption you would not buy a plastic gift card destined to be spent on cheap, mass-produced destined for landfill after a short life span. Christmas or not.

You need to try harder.

Advertisement