Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domane SL7 / SLR7 - views ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

fat bloke wrote: »
    IMG-20210213-194728.jpg

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road-bikes/race-bikes/aeroad/aeroad-cf-sl-7/2086.html?dwvar_2086_pv_rahmenfarbe=BU%2FWH

For me, this is the best value new bike on the market by miles. Looks fantastic. Great spec. Still acceptably light (claimed 7.6kg) If it rides half as well as like my older model aeroad SLX then I can't see how anyone wouldn't be delighted with it.
    A huge amount of bike for 2800. If I had no option but to buy new, you'd be looking at my new bike.

Looks like August at least though for availability :(

It wouldn't be good for the OP's back though. He needs an endurance bike with his back condition. That's a lovely bike but it would tear the back off me also as I have back trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Fair enough. Not all aero bikes are torture racks though. I've very poor flexibility but my aeroad is really comfy for me. I normally ride a 56 but the aeroad in a medium is more like 55,and I have a shorter stem and a decent bit not indecent number of spacers so I'm not stretched out on it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

fat bloke wrote: »
    That eijit? Ah Jaysus, I can't take his meandering rantings seriously. I've yet to have a seatpost or indeed bike fail to fulfil ulthe basics of its design brief to a satisfactory level! :)

I wouldn't be spending 3k on a new aeroad without watching it!

Had an add pop up there, €2600 for a trek domane sl 4 disc with tiagra.
    You could get a defy with 105 and a Lifetime frame warranty for that or a cube attain gtc sl for cheaper with ultegra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Treks also have a lifetime frame warranty.

While some brands may seem (and actually be) better value than others, you can be sure that if a bike with Ultegra is the same price as a bike with Tiagra, money was definitely saved elsewhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭py

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Had an add pop up there, €2600 for a trek domane sl 4 disc with tiagra.
    You could get a defy with 105 and a Lifetime frame warranty for that or a cube attain gtc sl for cheaper with ultegra.

It's easy enough to upgrade a group set as you go, harder to do that with the frame. I opted to go for the lifetime warranty and max comfort I could get without giving up too much speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Plastik wrote: »
    I wouldn't be spending 3k on a new aeroad without watching it!

Fairly sure the Aeroad above is last model - its the 2021 models with seat post issue. Above is fairly stiff - wouldn't recommend for anyone with back issues and tyre clearance far better on new one:eek:

Still a lovely bike though.. I have an Endurace and waiting for them to sort seat post and get stock back in on new Aeroad before maybe upgrading. New Shimano groupsets would be a bonus but expecting Dura Ace and a bit of wait before we see an Ultegra upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

That Domane is a sweet looking bike. Internal storage is kinda cool but looks a bit of a gimmick and probably adds about €500 onto the price tag and weight to boot. If you really like comfort from road bumps apparently the slightly wider tyres are the way to go. So no point in getting a Domane and then going for the narrow ones. Any tests ive seen the difference is speed is negligible and thats on a perfect surface, so when you take into account bumpy roads, getting a flat, vibrations the wider tyres beat it every day. Having said that Cannondale Topstone are pretty cool if you want to go for proper back suspension. I love the look of a Bianchi bike and a curved top tube. A few extra grams wont affect your speed but it will annoy you when your lifting your bike in and out of the car or shed etc. Specialized Tarmac is also cool i dont think you have to go for the Roubaix if you have the slightly wider tyres.

Whatever about them being slightly dearer, I'm starting to really like the domane. They are stunning looking. I've been looking at a few since this thread.
    Plus, I've owned treks before and the build quality is the best that's out there along with the other big brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Thanks all for the various inputs - all very useful and lots of different POVs out there, that's for sure !

I'm relatively inflexible, had L4/L5 disc surgery back in 2010 and still prone to the odd bout of sciatica, so whilst I can and do adopt a tuck position frequently (especially descending), I need something slight more "upright" for the longer days in the saddle, and I don't want to with a racing geometry only to pile on spacers and lengthened stems etc.

Agree that the money being asked is madness but I haven't investing in a new bike in over 6 years, and I tend to keep them i.e. my current bike will become my winter bike - that said, with supply issues, it could be 2022 at this rate before I plant my ass on any new bike !

My LBS told me today that many manufacturers are increasing their prices and it would appear that a general 10-15% increase is on the cards between 2020 prices and those being asked at the backend of this year for 2022 models etc.

I'm also now looking at the Cervelo Caledonia and the BMC Roadmachine - I'm aware of apocryphal stories of frame issues with Cervelo but don't know anyone who has actually experienced the issue on their race models -again, any views, ore than welcome

Thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭py

jrar wrote: »
    My LBS told me today that many manufacturers are increasing their prices and it would appear that a general 10-15% increase is on the cards between 2020 prices and those being asked at the backend of this year for 2022 models etc.

I noticed that for the 2021 SL5 that I ordered it's gone up by €300 since I ordered in June so it' is occuring on current models too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Cosmos7 wrote: »
    Even if I could afford it €6000 is stupid expensive. Any bike that takes 35/38 mm tyres is gonna be comfortable. 6k would get a custom frame easy

https://fiftyonebikes.com/

Good enough for Orla!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Wailin

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭secman

Wailin wrote: »
    Who?

Orla Walsh i think ?

Advertisement