Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domane SL7 / SLR7 - views ??

Options
  • 12-02-2021 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

In the market for a new bike and like the look and spec of the Domane SL7 or even the SLR7 if my finances stretch to it (have also been looking at the Roubaix but like the look of the Trek more to be honest)

I do 100% road cycling and require an endurance geometry as I have back trouble and aero/racing geometry is too severe for any stint longer than an hour or two in the saddle

Most reviews talk glowingly about the ride quality, and the general view is one of the Domane being a 'great' bike - any owners here care to back this up or argue otherwise ?

I'm 80+ kgs so getting up hills quick is not my forte and even the Emonda isn't going to change that, so the heavier weight of the Domane doesn't really bother me......but I'm wondering about the wider rim Bontrager wheels with 32mm tyres as the bike seems set up for endurance but almost veering into off-road/gravel with that combination. I don't go off-road so I usually run just 25s.....happy to go to 28s, maybe even 30s but would that entail having to look to get a diff. set of wheels put on in place of the Aeolus 3V wheels that come standard ? l

Have also seen a no. of reviews of Trek bikes where the relatively flimsy cover for the down tube storage area doesn't always fit snugly or starts to work itself loose over time - any truth in that ?

All feedback welcomed and appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Like you, I have lower back trouble and the "endurance" geometry suits me best.
    I bought my Domane in September 2014 and never a hint of trouble from it, nor have I ever suffered with my back while on it (saddle issues were my main issue until recently). The build quality is excellent and even though I cycle 5-6 times a week and have done up to 140kms in one spin, the bike is still on its original drive train (I've asked the bike shop to change it and they said there's no need). I put better wheels on it and following a recent bike fit, I change the bars to a wider set and fitted a longer stem. So if I'm honest, yes, I've changed a good few parts on it but the frame and drivetrain are still the original ones!!.

Would I buy another Domane? Well yes I would, even though I'd also look at Canyon and Orbea too as they appear to be the "goto" bikes for the GCN presenters, most of whom are ex pros. But as my Domane has been trouble free mechanically and pain free for me physically (except the saddle which is now sorted), it would be hard to move away to another make.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

D13exile wrote: »
    Like you, I have lower back trouble and the "endurance" geometry suits me best.
    I bought my Domane in September 2014 and never a hint of trouble from it, nor have I ever suffered with my back while on it (saddle issues were my main issue until recently). The build quality is excellent and even though I cycle 5-6 times a week and have done up to 140kms in one spin, the bike is still on its original drive train (I've asked the bike shop to change it and they said there's no need). I put better wheels on it and following a recent bike fit, I change the bars to a wider set and fitted a longer stem. So if I'm honest, yes, I've changed a good few parts on it but the frame and drivetrain are still the original ones!!.

Would I buy another Domane? Well yes I would, even though I'd also look at Canyon and Orbea too as they appear to be the "goto" bikes for the GCN presenters, most of whom are ex pros. But as my Domane has been trouble free mechanically and pain free for me physically (except the saddle which is now sorted), it would be hard to move away to another make.
    I wouldn't read anything into what GCN presenters are using to be honest given the amount of paid promotion they have. Although Canyon and Orbea are two of many nice bike brands.

OP I'd also look at a Giant Defy, when I was in the market for a new bike recently they were the best value in terms of spec of all big in-store brands. Cube are good value too if you want to buy from a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Personally I couldn't pay that kind of money for something badged an "SL" that weighed that much. I think that both you and the bike industry can do better!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Any recommendations from your own personal experiences ?

jrar wrote: »
    Any recommendations from your own personal experiences ?

I'm not in the new bike market I'm afraid due to budgetary constraints but also choice. I'm sure an SLR will be lighter but at what cost? My recommendation based on personal experience would be a nearly new used bike with rim brakes. For the price of one new slr7 you could buy 3 nice light used bikes.

I understand somebody has to buy new bikes so that I can buy used and fair play to you if you like the trek but I can't get on board with what the current market considers to be bang for buck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cosmos7

The tyre clearance is great. Ive had the allu version since 2017 and have wheelsets with 35mm slicks and gravel king sk's so it's just the job for the rougher lanes and fire roads etc. Faster than my other lighter and racier bike over these

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Trek are nice but a giant or cube will give you a lot more bang for your buck.
    Giant have a Lifetime warranty on the frame also for the original owner. The defy is a lovely bike. I got one last year and upgraded the wheels to hunts. Very light and fast and you could sit on it all day. I have an l5 prolapsed disc in my back too yet its not a bother on the defy.

I wouldnt buy a carbon bike second hand being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Havent ridden it cant help you there. What i would say about trek bikes is while theyre always relatively expensive their bikes are decent and they do have a good warranty

In terms of value i wouldnt say its the best compared to other bikes. Im not even going to list alternatives theres so many, but your at a pricepoint where you could get equally specced italian boutique bikes for a similar if not cheaper price. And at that budget id be buying at least 2 bikes in your case you could look at a 4000€ish summer bike and buying a cheaper winter bike

What is it that is so appealing about the domane? Its a heavy bike. Im guessing the weight comes from their seatpost and internal storage which is just a pointless gimmick. The seatpost might add comfort but also alot of weight, havent ridden one so cant tell of its gimmick but if you want to add comfort it can be done with wide tyres.
    The bike has tyre clearence up to 38s so i would have no hessitation bringing it on gravel which you said you dont want to do, so you might be overbiking yourself

Also i dont think its a good idea to limit your search to just endurance bikes this is just a marketing term. All you want is a bike that can fit wider tyres, with the introduction of discs even aero bikes can do that now. And you also want an endurance position on the bike high stack low reach, with your back problems this is what you should be looking out for with a bike fit most 'allround/climbing bikes can actually be fitted to be endurance' bikes.

It would be a good idea to get a bike fit before you choose your bike, so you know what geometry your looking for really helpful for choosing sizes etc.

But each to their own test out a couple of bikes and if you like the domane the best go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I like the look of the Treks and if you can afford and like the look of them then I say go for it.

Yes there are cheaper options but remember this is what you have to look at everytime your riding it so go with what you like. The finishing touches on the treks are excellent when up close and the paint jobs are suberb.

Also has said above ignore GCN as they only promote what there paid to ride.

I've ridden numerous trek mountain bikes and road bikes over the years and loved them all. Still have a 1997 oclv mtb.

The Domane SLR7 is a gorgeous bike. My brother has one and is most likely going to replace it like for like. It was something I considerd, but went for the Canyon Endurace which for me gave more bang for your buck.

his baby though, is his Titanium framed bike (a Passoni) and he claims the comfort is amazing compared to a carbon frame.

Titanium isn't cheap, but then neither is the Domane you're looking at. The Ribble Endurance Ti gets a very good write up. https://road.cc/content/review/ribble-endurance-ti-disc-enthusiast-276469

Back pain might not be just down to the bike though and a few core exercises might help. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/lower-back-pain-dont-blame-the-bike-32094

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

For me there is no going back from 32mm tyres and lower pressure for general Irish road usage. I can’t imagine any non-suspension frame making the same difference.
    You and the bike will weigh almost 89kg so the it of extra weight won’t make any noticeable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Also, I couldn't bend over to tie my shoe laces last year my back was that bad.
    I was told Id have to stop kickboxing. Went to ex Ireland rugby physio James Allen and he told me to hang upside down on an inversion table.

My back is a 100 times better and I'm still kickboxing. I know it's a little off topic but it means I can still cycle a racer style bike. James is based in cherry Wood medical centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I have a 2019 Domane SLR7, now with over 12k km on it.
    Gorgeous to ride and the Iso-speed devices (comfort-suspension) front and rear take a lot of the buzz & shock out of the roads.
    My previous (and first) road bike was an Emonda ALR4 and it was much harsher on hands and backside, even after changing saddle, tape and trying all possible positions. A few adjustments and a wider saddle, and I haven’t touched my setup for about 11k km.
    The SLR7 is specced with 32s, but mine came with 28s, which were fine and I’m currently running 25s. Loads of clearance for whatever you like - I’ve run 28s with full-stay mudguards in winter.
    Mine doesn’t have the in frame storage (that came in 2020 model year), but that means I end up with a small saddle pack (don’t like the thought of falling on hard tools in my jersey pockets).
    If you can afford it, like quality, and tend to keep your bikes for the long-term, you should get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

Hoping to take delivery of an SL5 in a few weeks having had a Cube alloy for the past 6 years. Should be a world of difference between the two. Will report back when I've gotten it out for a few spins.

Was eying up the latest Felt bikes earlier given my current bike is a Felt and the same spec Trek was coming in at €270 more. IMO Felt bikes never looked that great vs Trek but they must have hired new people as the 2021 models are lookers for sure.

Felt lost their way a bit from 2010. They're coming into a bit of form now again alright. The new Lapierre range looks super as well, as are the new Cubes. Cyclesuperstore have a sweet showroom selection at the minute

fat bloke wrote: »
    Felt lost their way a bit from 2010. They're coming into a bit of form now again alright. The new Lapierre range looks super as well, as are the new Cubes. Cyclesuperstore have a sweet showroom selection at the minute

Saw a fella when I was out for a walk on a Cube the other day with a beanie and wireless/bluetooth headphones looked a fool but the Cube he was on looked business black frame with red detail and red cable hosing.

Even Claris model Cubes with the yellow detail/hosing look great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cosmos7

Even if I could afford it €6000 is stupid expensive. Any bike that takes 35/38 mm tyres is gonna be comfortable. 6k would get a custom frame easy

I've been marvelling at how comfy and compliant my new Bowman is over patchy roads. Happened to catch a closer glimpse at the tyres on them over the weekend when hanging the bike on the wall.

23's.

!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Result.

If you're good with the thinner lighter tyres then that's a win, it's not for everyone but this trend towards wide/fat tyres on the road is nonsense.

Hasn't been a nice Felt to my eye for many years now.

Have been amazed at the industry-wide uplift in new bike prices this year. Used to be a fairly common line that indicated carbon frame with rim-braked 105 = €2K. Now I see it's closer to 3K, and what you get for 4K isn't exactly stupendous at all.

Madness - there is literally no value in a new bike at all at the moment. Will it ever reset itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

fat bloke wrote: »
    I've been marvelling at how comfy and compliant my new Bowman is over patchy roads. Happened to catch a closer glimpse at the tyres on them over the weekend when hanging the bike on the wall.

23's.

!!!!
    Hi

some questions if you don't mind.

-what geometry/model is the bowman?
    -is there a lot of feedback thru the handlebars/seat post?
    -is the seat post carbon?
    -was it pricey or difficult to import?
    -what width tyres can it accommodate?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

who_ru wrote: »
    Hi

- how long from order to delivery?

thanks.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

MojoMaker wrote: »

Madness - there is literally no value in a new bike at all at the moment. Will it ever reset itself?
    lets see what happens with sales volumes, i wouldn't expect to see them increase as a result.

They're blaming supply chain issues and increased shipping costs plus covid for the increases, so there might not be any reset in the short to medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

lets see what happens with sales volumes, i wouldn't expect to see them increase as a result.

They're blaming supply chain issues and increased shipping costs plus covid for the increases, so there might not be any reset in the short to medium term.

Delays from Shimano is the reason I've been waiting since last summer on the SL5. There's a few articles online stating as much. I could've gotten a different colour frame from someone else's cancelled order but opted to hold tight for the faster colour. :D

Hi

thanks.

Search the forum under my username and settle in with a cup of tea for a the long read thread :)

It's the new Palace 3C which replaces the much loved Palace R. You'll find the geometry on their website. I've an all alu Fizik finishing kit - stem, bars and post.
    I only got it built up mid January. All my riding has been within 5k of the gaff or (the majority of it) on the rollers. So I've about 350km on the road done and 800k on the rollers, if that's any measure of a bike I dunno. I love it so far. Can't wait to take it out properly on my tried and tested old regular routes. Handles beautifully. Apparently we'll able to take wide tyres but your limiting factor is going to be your brake calipers really before the frame. 25's are tight enough on the Sram, I'd say 28s would be a pain if they'd even fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Shimano is increasing the prices of components thats why your seeing an industry wide increase in price atm where as a few months ago it was just a few oppertunistic frame manufacturers.
    Issues with components is whats causing the unknown availabilty times aswell more so than a shortage of frames
    And then you have the international problems like chinas shipping container shortage and brexit.
    Probably wont gey back to normal until 22/23
    This is not the year to be buying bikes really tbh ironically its also time when you probably would like a new bike the most because so many people have more time on their hands.
    Id imagine the best deals you will get this year id people slling of 11 speed duraace if it goes to 12 also 11 speed wheels with a probable switch to microspline

IMG-20210213-194728.jpg

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road-bikes/race-bikes/aeroad/aeroad-cf-sl-7/2086.html?dwvar_2086_pv_rahmenfarbe=BU%2FWH

For me, this is the best value new bike on the market by miles. Looks fantastic. Great spec. Still acceptably light (claimed 7.6kg) If it rides half as well as like my older model aeroad SLX then I can't see how anyone wouldn't be delighted with it.
    A huge amount of bike for 2800. If I had no option but to buy new, you'd be looking at my new bike.

Looks like August at least though for availability :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Plastik

Other than the ... whisper it ... seat post issue ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b37Tvc-3yhs&feature=emb_title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I had a Domane SL7 on loan for a few months last year, it was a great bike. Certainly built for comfort when you compare it to the emonda or madone.
    The internal storage worked great and made for a much cleaner look.
    543524.jpg

• Advertisement

Plastik wrote: »
    Other than the ... whisper it ... seat post issue ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b37Tvc-3yhs&feature=emb_title

That eijit? Ah Jaysus, I can't take his meandering rantings seriously. I've yet to have a seatpost or indeed bike fail to fulfil ulthe basics of its design brief to a satisfactory level! :)

Advertisement