Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,776 ✭✭✭✭Basq

zell12 wrote: »
    Refitted my house in the last week with these Knightsbridge light switches (everything from 1G1W to 3G2W). Really nice subtle curved effect on them. Hugely recommend them.

Only thing was metal screws provided were too short so had to use pre-existing screws but covers hide them well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever knowingly bought Rolson tools but I have a few, probably picked up in job lots. I never found them any better or worse than other cheap tools, in fact I have a hatchet which still takes a decent edge after years of use.

they're fine for your average joe, DIY'er

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Haven't bought anything on Amazon in the last 6 months. What's the brief impact since brexit. Import charges on everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Brego888 wrote: »
    Haven't bought anything on Amazon in the last 6 months. What's the brief impact since brexit. Import charges on everything?

Anything under around £20 goes vat free, so cheaper than UK prices. Above that and under £150 (I think?) same as you were, provided you're buying from amazon direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Just FYI, I've ordered a good few bits since January, all more or less under 20 odd euro
    No charges and exceptionally fast delivery, last week Ordered Monday, delivered Wednesday, ordered wednesday delivered Friday. I've even had stuff delivered on sat, service great so far
    The Amazon no chat thread is unreal but will have me broke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

youngblood wrote: »
    Just FYI, I've ordered a good few bits since January, all more or less under 20 odd euro
    No charges and exceptionally fast delivery, last week Ordered Monday, delivered Wednesday, ordered wednesday delivered Friday. I've even had stuff delivered on sat, service great so far
    The Amazon no chat thread is unreal but will have me broke!

Have noticed similar myself. Logged in last week for the first time in a while, and got offered free prime for the month. Ordered a few things since (<£20), and generally delivered in 2 days. Before Christmas, even with prime, deliveries were taking two weeks more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've found orders in the past week have gone to three days delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

tipperary wrote: »
    Have noticed similar myself. Logged in last week for the first time in a while, and got offered free prime for the month. Ordered a few things since (<£20), and generally delivered in 2 days. Before Christmas, even with prime, deliveries were taking two weeks more often than not.

It was just the chaos of Xmas and Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Looking to order a pair of running shorts, and they are all over a week for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Quazzie wrote: »
    Looking to order a pair of running shorts, and they are all over a week for delivery.

2 days for me last week, the deliverys seem to be back on track from about 3 weeks agao

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That knife sharperner looks decent for £8, anyone used it before and whats it like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That knife sharperner looks decent for £8, anyone used it before and whats it like

I had one at one stage. Perfect on the straight edge blades but can be hard on the tooth edged blades and knock some of the teeth out.

I settled on one of these sharpeners in the end.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00016B9GC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Yep, I have one. Decent enough and easy to use. I think I got it for less than a tenner too, does tend to take a fair bit of material off the knife but it does the job.

BTW, I posted the following on the other thread by mistake
    If you buy the Amazon Fire Cube expecting to have USB storage while using ethernet, you won't, External Storage only works with wifi. Pretty shoddy bit of misrepresentation by Amazon but the Cube is still a decent bit of kit, far better than the Firestick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

As a prime member I think I can order multiple items separately that are under €20 to save on the import charges that would be applied if I put them all in the one order.
    Does this make sense or am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Brego888 wrote: »
    As a prime member I think I can order multiple items separately that are under €20 to save on the import charges that would be applied if I put them all in the one order.
    Does this make sense or am I missing something here?
    Thats the way to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Brego888 wrote:
    As a prime member I think I can order multiple items separately that are under €20 to save on the import charges that would be applied if I put them all in the one order. Does this make sense or am I missing something here?

This is correct. They are changing this in June so make the most of it now while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

I bought on for just over 7 quid a few months back and it's brilliant.
    I have a lot of experience with knives, butcher many years ago, and have some pro/semi pro knives at home.
    I used to use a steel to sharpen the semi pro knives but know just use this. Excellent sharpener and would recommend them.

I have one (Silver one - so called 'Pro') and hate it.

To my untrained eye it doesn't sharpen the blade, but shreds it leaving small scraps all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sup08 wrote: »
    I bought on for just over 7 quid a few months back and it's brilliant.
    I have a lot of experience with knives, butcher many years ago, and have some pro/semi pro knives at home.
    I used to use a steel to sharpen the semi pro knives but know just use this. Excellent sharpener and would recommend them.

Cheers, for 8 euro delivered I picked it up. Ive a set of Wushtof chef knives but the steel that comes with it never seems to get the knifes sharp enough for my liking so hopefully this yolk does the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Yep, I have one. Decent enough and easy to use. I think I got it for less than a tenner too, does tend to take a fair bit of material off the knife but it does the job.

BTW, I posted the following on the other thread by mistake
    If you buy the Amazon Fire Cube expecting to have USB storage while using ethernet, you won't, External Storage only works with wifi. Pretty shoddy bit of misrepresentation by Amazon but the Cube is still a decent bit of kit, far better than the Firestick.

Looking at the specs on it, I really don’t see how it could be. I was looking at the Cube when I bought the Firestick but the small difference in specs wasn’t worth paying twice the price for me

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    Looking at the specs on it, I really don’t see how it could be. I was looking at the Cube when I bought the Firestick but the small difference in specs wasn’t worth paying twice the price for me

I ordered one last night. The big selling point of the cube, apart from the higher specs, Is that it's a fully fledged alexa. I have an Alexa in the sitting room but need one in another room so will have alexa cube in sitting room & will move the sitting room elsewhere. In this case the cube is practically free as I no longer need to buy another alexa. I also now have a spare 4k firestick (cube is replacing this) that's handy for taking away on holiday

Two things: infrared led that allows it to control other devices and built-in microphone for voice assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

If you use the devices often for tv services etc. it is worth it, far smoother and a little quicker. comes with the LAN connector which reduces buffering (for me at least).

Just a more pleasant day to day experience - after using the cube the fire 4k seems a bit clunky. Then again the chromecast also makes the 4k a bit clunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I ordered one last night. The big selling point of the cube, apart from the higher specs, Is that it's a fully fledged alexa. I have an Alexa in the sitting room but need one in another room so will have alexa cube in sitting room & will move the sitting room elsewhere. In this case the cube is practically free as I no longer need to buy another alexa. I also now have a spare 4k firestick (cube is replacing this) that's handy for taking away on holiday

BA Purchasing Justification (Advanced Level) Grade 1 Award.

ablelocks wrote:
    BA Purchasing Justification (Advanced Level) Grade 1 Award.

I agree 100 percent. If I thought long enough I could have convinced myself that I was actually saving money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

grogi wrote: »
    Two things: infrared led that allows it to control other devices and built-in microphone for voice assistant.

I can’t stand the voice assistants to be honest, rarely find them useful. Google is built into my soundbar so I use that to control a few bits around the house

Infared led doesn’t sound like a game changer either

Far superior is a stretch. For the price of it, even now that it’s reduced, I’d be exacting a lot more grunt than the 4K Firestick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

grogi wrote: »
    I have one (Silver one - so called 'Pro') and hate it.

To my untrained eye it doesn't sharpen the blade, but shreds it leaving small scraps all around.

Have the blue one myself and seems to work well to be honest.

Definitely takes a bit off the blade especially if you allow them to go a bit blunt. But the difference in cutting pre and post is pretty clear. I find regular use - few quick passes through - works best.

Having used a couple for the last 2 years with cheap enough knives (ones from the supervalu deal a few years back) I highly recommend.

Have read they don't suit the higher quality say global knives.

Have read they don't suit the higher quality say global knives.

That might be it - I never went for bottom-of-the-barrel knifes. Not the best strategy IMHO - they eventually get blunt too and sharpening them can be pain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

For the price of it, even now that it’s reduced, I’d be exacting a lot more grunt than the 4K Firestick

It's a no brainer for anyone, who wants to connect to wired internet, as the cube includes adapter, and works out pretty much the same price as firestick 4k and adapter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

It's a no brainer for anyone, who wants to connect to wired internet, as the cube includes adapter, and works out pretty much the same price as firestick 4k and adapter.

Yep, the difference wired internet makes is amazing, no delays, no buffering (except Iplayer but that's another story) I was miffed at the no extra storage bit, I thought that was sharp practice.

Advertisement