Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Amazon.co.uk is hardly the cheapest place anymore.

I've just saved about €100 on an item that was €500 on Amazon by buying from a Irish website (goods still sent from UK :rolleyes:).

Amazons pull is convenience and if they open up a fulfillment centre here then it will be even more convenient to use them.

Amazon will be cheaper than some and more expensive than some.
    Up to you as the buyer to do your own due diligence and buy where suits you.

What product did you buy btw?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Quazzie wrote: »
    Has there been any more progress or news regarding a possible amazon.ie ?

We don’t want a .ie site....... for now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Gumbo wrote: »
    We don’t want a .ie site....... for now anyway.

We have a .ie domain but its just linked to co.uk

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

So we had pricespy.ie which was great but it's gone now. I reached out to guaranteed Irish that they should do similar but limit to Irish delivered from sites that there will be no extra charges/ brexit etc. So then they could get sites onboard and index sites that are say .ie domains but no brexit charges. They simply didn't get the idea. A huge opportunity to make a business that would self fund and also push brand Ireland in a way that would make buying irish much easier. These lists of buy irish are very poor. You have all these speciality foods and crafts and thats about it. Very little for other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,918 ✭✭✭✭muffler

That's very good but I'm not sure what it has to do with Amazon Prime bargains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

rom wrote: »
    So we had pricespy.ie which was great but it's gone now. I reached out to guaranteed Irish that they should do similar but limit to Irish delivered from sites that there will be no extra charges/ brexit etc. So then they could get sites onboard and index sites that are say .ie domains but no brexit charges. They simply didn't get the idea. A huge opportunity to make a business that would self fund and also push brand Ireland in a way that would make buying irish much easier. These lists of buy irish are very poor. You have all these speciality foods and crafts and thats about it. Very little for other things.

You should buy a couple of paragraphs.

You should buy a couple of paragraphs.
    Currently unavailable.
    We don't know when or if this
    item will be back in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

muffler wrote: »
    That's very good but I'm not sure what it has to do with Amazon Prime bargains.
    I think I was suppose to quote something back along. Amazon are essentially a fancy version of pricespy where you can but with one click and call one place to complain. Paragraphs are for sober people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Would there be any issues with Amazon delivering this BBQ Charcoal to Ireland? Just checking before I pull the trigger.

Marienburg Organic Restaurant Grade Lumpwood BBQ Charcoal for Barbecues and Pizza Ovens, 30L https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08MTBD5VG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_FET95SA4JBAMQ8HVAC5F

Edit: The VAT isn’t being taken away for this at checkout. Why would that be? It’s fulfilled by Amazon but sold by someone else.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Would there be any issues with Amazon delivering this BBQ Charcoal to Ireland? Just checking before I pull the trigger.

Marienburg Organic Restaurant Grade Lumpwood BBQ Charcoal for Barbecues and Pizza Ovens, 30L https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08MTBD5VG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_FET95SA4JBAMQ8HVAC5F

Edit: The VAT isn’t being taken away for this at checkout. Why would that be? It’s fulfilled by Amazon but sold by someone else.

It’s allowing me add it to my basket and it’s coming up at £16.14 delivered to Ireland

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    It’s allowing me add it to my basket and it’s coming up at £16.14 delivered to Ireland

UK VAT on charcoal is 5% because its classed as a fuel.

£16.14 + 5% VAT = £16.95

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It BeeMee wrote:
    Bosch jigsaw blade set

€6.91 using Amazon exchange rate

6.80 using revolut.
    Look after the pennies and the pins will take care of themselves...

Just use woodfuel.ie
    They sell the big blue bags for around the same if not cheaper.

Just use woodfuel.ie

Thanks for this. Don’t mean to derail the thread but is it good stuff??

Just use woodfuel.ie

I need to go to the hassle of calling them to arrange to get the item delivered at potentially a slower speed and higher price?

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Can anyone recommend a very large- at least 2 litre bottle to hold water that wont crack at the slightest hint of a fall?

youngblood wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a very large- at least 2 litre bottle to hold water that wont crack at the slightest hint of a fall?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N7J8LKW/ :D

For drinking water the military solution is to carry two smaller water bottles. Most military water bottles will survive kicking down a mountain side, the stopper often being the weakest point.

I need to go to the hassle of calling them to arrange to get the item delivered at potentially a slower speed and higher price?

No thanks.

God forbid you have to talk to someone :rolleyes:

God forbid you have to talk to someone :rolleyes:

And potentially pay more and wait longer. Absolutely no benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭John mac

i bought a bag last week , no hassle at all , not that exact one , but a bag of charcoal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

A website that says Call for Price may as well not exist imo.

SteM wrote: »
    A website that says Call for Price may as well not exist imo.

Very strange indeed. Might give them a buzz nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,669 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EX6Z02O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_HPPHAJ2Y6K5Q631HYS1Q

Can anybody explain this product for me?

Price on site = £18.89

Price at checkout = £18.89 (no UK VAT removed)
    Import Fees = £3.97 (despite being under £19/€22)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Fire TV cube, refurbished for £64. Not sure if it is much better than the 4k but it does have an IR sender to control other non smart devices with Alexa.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RR6HQ6L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_6XPXK9QWR4E4CSYR986K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TimHorton

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EX6Z02O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_HPPHAJ2Y6K5Q631HYS1Q

Can anybody explain this product for me?

Price on site = £18.89

Price at checkout = £18.89 (no UK VAT removed)
    Import Fees = £3.97 (despite being under £19/€22)

Amazon are converting £18.89 to €22.52 . That's why.

Amazon Currency Converter

Enabled - Pay in EUR
    EUR 22.52

GBP 18.89

TimHorton wrote: »
    Amazon are converting £18.89 to €22.52 . That's why.

Amazon Currency Converter

Enabled - Pay in EUR
    EUR 22.52

GBP 18.89

Sneaky, that was £19.50 last month, revolut is calling it €22.02 at the moment so fair enough I guess

Why is there no VAT removed though

Fire TV cube, refurbished for £64. Not sure if it is much better than the 4k but it does have an IR sender to control other non smart devices with Alexa.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RR6HQ6L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_6XPXK9QWR4E4CSYR986K

Looks like a 4k fire stick with a few extras thrown in

I have to admit that Google's system is looking less and less appealing these days

Sneaky, that was £19.50 last month, revolut is calling it €22.02 at the moment so fair enough I guess

Item is VAT exempt in the UK but not in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Don't know if I'd call it sneaky, Euro was 89p last month, struggling to make 86p today

Advertisement