Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

For some reason I'm getting a much higher price on the thermometer. I have the 10% voucher included as well.

Items: EUR 43.54
    Postage & Packing: EUR 0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: EUR 9.14
    Total: EUR 52.67
    Promotion Applied: -EUR 28.16
    Order Total: EUR 24.51
    Payment Total: GBP 21.11

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

For some reason I'm getting a much higher price on the thermometer. I have the 10% voucher included as well.

I've checked with Amazon on that before and its down to the seller. The seller isn't removing the UK VAT before adding on our import duty (VAT) and there is nothing Amazon can/will do about it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Yeh I’m getting that too.

That is the correct price. It is not VAT free as VAT is applied to the non-discount price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Thank you. I just can't see where this is £16.99 as listed in the title. I thought that this was the price delivered to us.

Thanks for clarifying.

• Advertisement

That is the correct price. It is not VAT free as VAT is applied to the non-discount price.

No its not the UK VAT should come off before the Import Fees DEposit is added.

Thank you. I just can't see where this is £16.99 as listed in the title. I thought that this was the price delivered to us.

Thanks for clarifying.

It should actually be cheaper than £16.99. Should be £13.60 if the correct rules that Amazon use themself are applied.

No import duties under £22 (can't remember the exact figure) so the UK VAT should come off and no Irish VAT to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I've actually uncovered a few scams and (eventually) got them sorted even been threatened with violence as a result. So think I can spot shill reviews better than a computer algorithm.

If you check with fakespot their chrome add in derates it to three stars and a full analysis knocks a star off to 3.5 stars.

I'm not saying its a bad product or not a good deal just that I get so p!ssed off with fake reviews that I avoid buying from companies that I think are manipulating the system.

Yet you're also getting aggressive here. I'm not saying that you're wrong - I am just showing a tool for people less review savvy than you. Fakespot extension is excellent as well.

No its not the UK VAT should come off before the Import Fees DEposit is added.

And that is what is done. The UK VAT comes off (£44.99 -> £35.99), the Import Fees Deposit is then added (£35.99 -> £43.55) and then the lightning deal promotion and 10% discount is then applied to that £43.55.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

From the no chats thread. If you check out the reviews there are quite a few where the reviewer has never reviewed another product making the reviews somewhat suspect. Was going to buy but that put me off.

I'd rather go with this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infrared-Thermometer-Forehead-Contact-Accurate/dp/B08DTF9XR8 at a slightly lower price even and it's a Xiaomi brand.

This one https://www.amazon.co.uk/iHealth-Digital-Infrared-Thermometer-Forehead/dp/B075QQ8VZW is the best I have used. I have seen it discounted to around 20 GBP on amazon though, so quite a bit more expensive at the moment.

• Advertisement

And that is what is done. The UK VAT comes off (£44.99 -> £35.99), the Import Fees Deposit is then added (£35.99 -> £43.55) and then the lightning deal promotion and 10% discount is then applied to that £43.55.

Sorry I'm not seeing where the UK VAT comes off?

I can see that the seller isn't following the normal process that Amazon themselves follow but that happens a lot I find with Amazons Deals where they are supplying for a third party seller. I've gone to buy quite a few recently only to find I'd be paying double VAT.

What should happen is that the deal price is the price and thats the starting point for the calculations. That one was messed up by applying the discount to the original price at the end of the calculation.

I'd rather go with this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infrared-Thermometer-Forehead-Contact-Accurate/dp/B08DTF9XR8 at a slightly lower price even and it's a Xiaomi brand.

This one https://www.amazon.co.uk/iHealth-Digital-Infrared-Thermometer-Forehead/dp/B075QQ8VZW is the best I have used. I have seen it discounted to around 20 GBP on amazon though, so quite a bit more expensive at the moment.

I love the review that 2,478 people found this helpful :D .

In the context of all the other reviews and many I've checked out for contactless thermometers it wouldn't necessarily put me off because you will always get a few negative ones. Having read as many reviews of them at this stage as I have there is either something wrong with the manufacturing process or more likely a lot of people are using them wrong. Then because its a "medical device" you will always get more outrage when someone gets a duff one.

Sorry I'm not seeing where the UK VAT comes off?

I just explained that word for word. :confused:

The price with UK VAT before any lightning deal discounts etc is £44.99. The UK VAT is then removed, bringing the price down to £35.99. This £35.99 is the "Items: EUR 43.54" price people saw at the start of the price breakdown in the posts above who were using euro instead of sterling, i.e. EUR 43.54 is the price after UK VAT is removed.
    I can see that the seller isn't following the normal process that Amazon themselves follow

The seller is following the same procedure as Amazon because the seller has nothing to do with the procedure, it's an item fulfilled by Amazon and the procedure is done by Amazon.

Go to any other lightning deal where the price before the lightning deal discount is greater than VAT threshold and you will see the exact same thing is done, as it should be.

That silly response must have cost them quite a few of customers, I suppose.
    Indeed, medical infrared thermometers require a level of precision that some people simply don't have, though it's not complicated either. My method: keep the thermometer in the room where it will be used for at least 5 minutes for it to reach the ambient temperature. Hold it about 0.5-1 cm away from the forehead, always the same spot. Take three measurements to see if they are close, if not try again until the results are consistent. And this is way more difficult on children under 1 because you can get totally skewed readings by missing the perfect spot just by millimeters.
    But then again, there can always be a faulty unit.

I just explained that word for word. :confused:

The price with UK VAT before any lightning deal discounts etc is £44.99. The UK VAT is then removed, bringing the price down to £35.99. This £35.99 is the "Items: EUR 43.54" price people saw at the start of the price breakdown in the posts above who were using euro instead of sterling, i.e. EUR 43.54 is the price after UK VAT is removed.

The seller is following the same procedure as Amazon because the seller has nothing to do with the procedure, it's an item fulfilled by Amazon and the procedure is done by Amazon.

Go to any other lightning deal where the price before the lightning deal discount is greater than VAT threshold and you will see the exact same thing is done, as it should be.

OK so I'm being stupid. I always buy in Sterling and just ignored that it was in Euros so I assumed the higher Euro number was the original price in pounds :o

However, isn't there always a however. I've been on to Amazon chat several times and they have no control (or so they say) how the calculations for VAT and discounts are worked out for Fulfilment orders.

I've seen and bought (where I really needed the item) Fulfilment items and paid double VAT - Amazon wouldn't do anything about it. Currently the postman is delivering 3 or 4 packages a week here from Amazon mostly deals.

I check out Computers & Accessories deals everyday and there are several companies with Fulfillment deals with Amazon that are charging double VAT on deals that are under the £22 threshold even before the deal. Less and less companies seem to be doing that but a couple of items I really don't need but will buy if they are a deal and I can get an extra 20% off end up more expensive every time they are deals. I'll post a link if next time they are deals.

Did anyone have any success convincing amazon help employees to fix incorrect vat rates for products sold directly by Amazon or to refund the overcharge? Had a chat with them now, but the assistant on the other side either couldn't grasp what the matter is all about or he can't do anything about it and acted ignorant. I have been charged Irish VAT for childrens shoes on two different occasions now. There is no VAT on such shoes neither in UK nor in Ireland, so the nominal price should remain unchanged, but it's not the case with some of them and 21% is put on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Picked up an Oculus Quest 2 after going backwards and forwards so much I missed pulling the trigger when it dropped to £279.99 yesterday.
    So when Keepa alert triggered again today, I took it as a sign.

Did anyone have any success convincing amazon help employees to fix incorrect vat rates for products sold directly by Amazon or to refund the overcharge? Had a chat with them now, but the assistant on the other side either couldn't grasp what the matter is all about or he can't do anything about it and acted ignorant. I have been charged Irish VAT for childrens shoes on two different occasions now. There is no VAT on such shoes neither in UK nor in Ireland, so the nominal price should remain unchanged, but it's not the case with some of them and 21% is put on top.

I've had 3 presale chats with no success where VAT was incorrectly going to be charged and one aftersale chat where the agents said it was up to the seller and nothing they could do about it even though it was fulfilled by Amazon. I'd have no worries that anything sold by Amazon themselves would be sorted but not for fulfillment stuff.

Right, but I'm referring to items sold by Amazon, not just fulfilled by them. Here is an example https://www.amazon.co.uk/superfit-Boys-SPORT7-Trainers-Green/dp/B07V4NG41V size 10 is sold by Amazon, £36.88, but goes up to £44.62 at the checkout. Revenue does mention one exception from the 0 VAT rate for shoes where a model is manufactured in sizes ranging from children to adult, but these here are Superfit - a brand that has no adult-sized shoes at all.

Right, but I'm referring to items sold by Amazon, not just fulfilled by them. Here is an example https://www.amazon.co.uk/superfit-Boys-SPORT7-Trainers-Green/dp/B07V4NG41V size 10 is sold by Amazon, £36.88, but goes up to £44.62 at the checkout. Revenue does mention one exception from the 0 VAT rate for shoes where a model is manufactured in sizes ranging from children to adult, but these here are Superfit - a brand that has no adult-sized shoes at all.

I'd expect a refund of the VAT from Amazon on those then. Its not something thats affected me but I'm fairly sure there have been other threads on the subject where the buyer got a refund from Amazon. This isn't a new issue I can remember it being reported quite a long time ago.

Edit> Heres some previous https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109523620

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,877 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just had a look at that link and it was priced at £37.84. I added it to the basket and price stayed the same until I noticed that it was my NI address that was listed for delivery. When I changed the address to here the price went up to £45.79 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,877 ✭✭✭✭muffler

muffler wrote: »
    Just had a look at that link and it was priced at £37.84. I added it to the basket and price stayed the same until I noticed that it was my NI address that was listed for delivery. When I changed the address to here the price went up to £45.79 :eek:
    So I got onto live chat and I got the usual dribble about the different VAT rates and the agent I was dealing with seemed anxious to get rid of me as quickly as possible so they applied a fiver credit to my account :)

If its any help to others they also give me a link to this page about VAT and import duties etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Is Amazon Prime specific to a country? If I join Prime with Amazon.co.uk can I use it with Amazon.FR?
    Thanks and hope this is the right forum for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Cerco wrote: »
    Is Amazon Prime specific to a country? If I join Prime with Amazon.co.uk can I use it with Amazon.FR?

Only Amazon.co.uk give free delivery to Ireland with prime.

Cerco wrote: »

Yes.

And even if you also bought Amazon.fr Prime, you do not get Prime benefits here, e.g. free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Has there been any more progress or news regarding a possible amazon.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Quazzie wrote: »
    Has there been any more progress or news regarding a possible amazon.ie ?

I don't think a .ie version will be good news.
    They'll just stop .co.uk ordering & Irish buyers then won't be able to buy at UK prices. Prices will invariably go up for us IMO.

Kramer wrote: »
    I don't think a .ie version will be good news.
    They'll just stop .co.uk ordering & Irish buyers then won't be able to buy at UK prices. Prices will invariably go up for us IMO.

Amazon.co.uk is hardly the cheapest place anymore.

I've just saved about €100 on an item that was €500 on Amazon by buying from a Irish website (goods still sent from UK :rolleyes:).

Amazons pull is convenience and if they open up a fulfillment centre here then it will be even more convenient to use them.

Amazon.co.uk is hardly the cheapest place anymore.

I've just saved about €100 on an item that was €500 on Amazon by buying from a Irish website (goods still sent from UK :rolleyes:).

Amazons pull is convenience and if they open up a fulfillment centre here then it will be even more convenient to use them.

Amazon.co.uk is cheaper for 99% of the things I buy, and that is even without the current VAT exemption for the cheaper items.

I agree with Kramer. I think that an Amazon.ie would result in price hikes akin to Dealz prices versus Poundland prices. I'd much prefer Amazon UK to continue to be the Amazon we get free Prime shipping with.

Anyway, I don't think it's happening just because we're getting a fulfilment centre. Some European countries have had fulfilment centres for more than a decade and yet don't have their own Amazon domain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I agree with Kramer. I think that an Amazon.ie would result in price hikes akin to Dealz prices versus Poundland prices. I'd much prefer Amazon UK to continue to be the Amazon we get free Prime shipping with.

You can see someone seeing an Amazon.co.uk bargain on hotukdeals or such, as happens frequently. Say an Amazon/fulfilled by Amazon item at £9.99.

Currently, an Irish Prime member can have that delivered for free & pay just the £9.99, using Revolut.
    The likelihood is it could be €14.99 on Amazon.ie, with no option to order from the UK website. Just like Argos UK, prices are usually far cheaper than here & there are far fewer offers from Argos here.

Advertisement