Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laughter as a passive aggressive tool

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

No she's not a workmate, it's not a problem for me. I have been on the receiving end a few times when out for lunch with her in the past in a group, but I actually don't see a huge amount of her anymore. I just thought of her when reading the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but I actually don't see a huge amount of her anymore.

well that's one reason to be grateful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

ongarboy wrote: »
    OP, you're way over thinking and possibly projecting your own issues and hang ups into completely harmless and innocent situations.
    Is this guy below (biko) also wrong projecting his own issues?
    biko wrote: »
    There was a guy at my previous office that would do this.
    If someone said something he didn't agree with, he'd start with like a little giggle and then says his piece.
    Really annoying guy.

You're most likely projecting quite a lot yourself seeing as you weren't even there to witness these occurrences.
    The cashier with your cauliflower (I'm laughing as I type that, am I being passive aggressive too?? No I'm not, it's just a funny thing to type yet would you misconstrue that also...?)
    You're laughing at the fact that I went to the trouble to type it. That's a completely different thing.

Just to try and make sense with where you're coming from; if somebody tried to make your job easier by explaining that something on the counter was already paid for, why on Earth would you laugh? I'm not really buying what you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Is this guy below (biko) also wrong projecting his own issues?

You're most likely projecting quite a lot yourself seeing as you weren't even there to witness these occurrences.

You're laughing at the fact that I went to the trouble to type it. That's a completely different thing.

Just to try and make sense with where you're coming from; if somebody tried to make your job easier by explaining that something on the counter was already paid for, why on Earth would you laugh? I'm not really buying what you say?

OK, then there is probably not much more advice I can give you. I was just trying to help you understand there is no malice or negativity coming from the vast majority of these situations that you seem to get upset, angry or frustrated with and it's a shame that you seem to be misreading them as it is causing you unnecessary distress. I believe you even misread my chuckling at something that was also not directed at you. The only person therefore that loses out is you if you are insistent that your perception of things is the only correct viewpoint. The vast majority of people will not see these scenarios as hostile behaviour situations and thus will not be negatively affected by them.

fryup wrote: »
    OP just remember this old saying...

he who laughs last laughs longest

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

OK, then there is probably not much more advice I can give you. I was just trying to help you understand there is no malice or negativity coming from the vast majority of these situations that you seem to get upset, angry or frustrated with and it's a shame that you seem to be misreading them as it is causing you unnecessary distress. I believe you even misread my chuckling at something that was also not directed at you.
    There was no offence taken from your chuckling at about the cauliflower story. I can't be sure what caused you to chuckle but I assumed it was because it's an unusual thing to go to the trouble of writing about. I made reference to your laughter for a different reason.

If I've taken offence for anything it's because you're telling someone you don't know to completely ignore their own instincts about occurrences that you didn't witness. Of course there is no malice coming from the vast majority of these situations... I'm referring to the few that I can think of where there might have been. You should have given me the benefit of the doubt in that regard. But you have to automatically imply that the only explanation is that the OP is too stupid to pick up on such social cues. That's a lazy conclusion to come to.

Just saying.

Advertisement