Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxty

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

sporina wrote: »
    OMG - almost in tears of nostalgia here...

My Mum use to sing that all the time lol.. she use to make it back in the day.. v popular when I am from in the North East.. jaysus you would work like a dog after a feed of it i tell ya lol.. but wouldn't actually be a lover of the taste or texture of it.. we ate what we were given though lol...

I never actually made it myself (much to my mum's disappointment).. but think she use to make it mostly from raw spuds.. grated them and strained them in muslin cloth... the result was a kind of dough.. (maybe some milk/egg was added - can't rem).. then it was sliced and fried on the pan.. man it brings me back.. i'd love some now just to make me feel closer to home.. bloody virus - not been home since last Sept..

let us know how you get on with making it OP..

Scroll up a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

Scroll up a bit :)

huh?

sporina wrote: »
    huh?

You asked me to let you know how I got on making it.

Two posts up is ten photos of the process and my assessment of it all.

You asked me to let you know how I got on making it.

Two posts up is ten photos of the process and my assessment of it all.

whoops apologies - will read up..

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Clare_Culchie

gozunda wrote: »
    Don't forget

"Boxty on the griddle, boxty in the pan, if you can’t make boxty, you’ll never get your man!”

;)

That's what I was thinking as I was reading... except I learned it differently from my dad (he was an only child up in Leitrim)...
    "Boxty on the griddle, boxty in the pan, if you don't be atein' your boxty shure you'll never become a man" - spoken with a Leitrim accent, obviously.

• Advertisement

That's what I was thinking as I was reading... except I learned it differently from my dad (he was an only child up in Leitrim)...
    "Boxty on the griddle, boxty in the pan, if you don't be atein' your boxty shure you'll never become a man" - spoken with a Leitrim accent, obviously.

ha ha - love the man version - not heard that one before - must ask my Dad...

are you a fan of Seamus O'Rourke? Nostalgia galore..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

AAAAHHHHHH ... Disaster

What happened does anyone know.... Followed the Facebook method above and simmered for 40 mins ....

Gonna Let them cool and see if I can still slice tomorrow....

Masala wrote: »
    AAAAHHHHHH ... Disaster

What happened does anyone know.... Followed the Facebook method above and simmered for 40 mins ....

Gonna Let them cool and see if I can still slice tomorrow....

That looks ok!! What's wrong with it?

It went in as 'Dumpling / Hurley' and came out as a 'Blob' !!

I guess I expected a Dumpling on way out... yours kept their shape!!!

I also used BLACK pepper.... you can see it coming thru!! So the better should be WHITE going forward!

Boxty should always be made with raw potato. From what I remember, it was waaaay too much work, I remember a lot of potatoes in pillowcases having starch squeezed out of them.
    Ya really can't beat the stuff in the shops. It's less then 2 euro a pop!

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Boxty should always be made with raw potato. From what I remember, it was waaaay too much work, I remember a lot of potatoes in pillowcases having starch squeezed out of them.

Ya... but I find that the McNiff stuff can't be found outside of County Longford!! I don't think they have National coverage!!

And the Drumully stuff in SuperValu is hit & miss on stocks..... it could be weeks before its in stock and when in there is only a few dumpling in stock!!

AND I usually buy up their whole stock!!!

There is one of those butchers selling it too. They are in blanch shopping centre and other places, can't remember the name, Gleesons maybe?
    Costs a lot more than it would down home.

It went in as 'Dumpling / Hurley' and came out as a 'Blob' !!

I guess I expected a Dumpling on way out... yours kept their shape!!!

I also used BLACK pepper.... you can see it coming thru!! So the better should be WHITE going forward!

One of mine fell apart and they all lost their shape to some degree.

Wipe it dry now, remove any jelly, wrap in cling film and put in the fridge overnight. I'd bet money it will be lovely sliced and fried in butter in the morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Again...boxty is different depending where you grew up.
    It can be a cake..a dumpling..a pancake like thing..it can be all raw, or Half mash.
    My sister did a lot of research for her trailer, historically flour and milk were used to make it go further as people were poor and had to make it go as far as possible.

Yep, boiled boxty, pan boxty and loaf boxty. Raw potato, flour and salt really.
    That's the cavan, Leitrim, fermanagh boxty anyway.

Mouth watering now.

My Mum's was the real deal.. but she can't make it now.. too much arthritis

Actually..... wrapped them in clingfilm and left overnight in fridge.

Sliced them this morning and to be honest they tasted grand.

All the family happy and we cleared the 6 x 'hurleys'

They look delicious, well done. :)

awe makes me home sick ... bless

They look great!

• Advertisement
Advertisement