Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxty

• 04-02-2021 9:57am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know how to make it?

I'd like to make some for my in laws who can't get to the homestead to buy it at the moment. Their preference is for the "boiled cake" which doesn't seem to be available in the shops.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Masala

I'd like to make some for my in laws who can't get to the homestead to buy it at the moment. Their preference is for the "boiled cake" which doesn't seem to be available in the shops.

Would love to know how to make as well. We used to call them ‘dumplings’.

I see Supervau have them from Drumully.

I hear that there is a lot of manual work to put in just to get a few dumplings..... peeling spuds, squeezing the starch out, rolling into shape, boiling them etc - couple of hours work in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭con747

Recipe here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Lg2pdjuWs

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Use raw potato.. if you are using cooked spuds that's more like potato cakes you're making not boxty in my eyes. That vid above doesn't look like boxty to me either. (Disclaimer: I'm sure this changes from place to place, but this is how my mum and grandmother would have done it).

You need to reduces them to absolute mush first though, so use the side of the grater with the smallest holes. This takes ages and is hard work unfortunately, maybe a blender would do the job but I've only ever used a grater.

When that's done put all the mushed up potato in a bowl and let it sit then pour off the excess water. You'll need to do this a few times, maybe three or 4. This bit is quite important imo as if there's too much water in it it will come out manky, though some people don't bother straining it off either so what do I know.

No need for an egg, just use flour to get it to bind.

Once you have a good consistency in the mix fry the cakes in butter like you would a pancake. Then spread more butter on them when you are eating them. Butter butter butter.

Serve with a nice hot cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Use raw potato.. if you are using cooked spuds that's more like potato cakes you're making not boxty in my eyes. That vid above doesn't look like boxty to me either. (Disclaimer: I'm sure this changes from place to place, but this is how my mum and grandmother would have done it).

There's a few, completely different, types of boxty.

I'm curious to try the boiled boxty.
    I already cook rosti which is, as far as I can see, very similar to some types of boxty (no four in the rosti, though).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah it's definitely one of those things that everyone seems to have a different version of. I've yet to try one that didn't taste good though :)

• Advertisement

Yeah it's definitely one of those things that everyone seems to have a different version of. I've yet to try one that didn't taste good though :)

Yeah, it's more than just different family recipes, though - there's three distinctly different types - boiled, baked and in the pan.
    Within those types you'd get lots of family and regional variations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

You need to reduces them to absolute mush first though, so use the side of the grater with the smallest holes. This takes ages and is hard work unfortunately, maybe a blender would do the job but I've only ever used a grater.

Would a potato ricer not be easier...some come with different size holes etc......take the manual labour out of it :)

I've never made them myself though :)

Would a potato ricer not be easier...some come with different size holes etc......take the manual labour out of it :)

The suffering is the most uniquely Irish ingredient though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The suffering is the most uniquely Irish ingredient though :pac:

:D:D:D

Classic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭con747

When that's done put all the mushed up potato in a bowl and let it sit then pour off the excess water. You'll need to do this a few times, maybe three or 4. This bit is quite important imo as if there's too much water in it it will come out manky, though some people don't bother straining it off either so what do I know.

No need for an egg, just use flour to get it to bind.

Once you have a good consistency in the mix fry the cakes in butter like you would a pancake. Then spread more butter on them when you are eating them. Butter butter butter.

Serve with a nice hot cup of tea.

The OP requested a recipe for "Boiled" Boxty. Hence the video for same, and yes there is an abundance of recipes handed down and online but each to their own.:)

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Lots of labour trying to rice raw potatoes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's raw potatoes though ...
    If you've a food processor with a grating attachment just whack it through that ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1percent

Here is my recipie, did it in a cafe when I owned one and always had great reviews
    Parts are by volume FYI
    2 parts cold mashed potato made with cream and butter
    1 part good quality plain flour, odlums now in my home kitchen
    Finly sliced spring onions
    Salt pepper
    A small splash of milk or butter milk if the flour isnt incorporating fully

Mix everything in a big bowl well
    Put a golf ball size scoop on square of parchment 7cm x 7cm and place another square on top.
    Press down until approx 8mm thick
    Stack in a lunch box and can be frozen.
    I throw them on the george forman with the parchment still on giving them a 60' turn after 5 min to get a nice charred hatch.
    Peel off the parchment and drop a couple of poached eggs on top and serve with a few slices of black puddin'. not Clon, that stuff is muck with marketing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Thanks all. Lots of fried boxy recipes here which I'm sure are delicious but not what I'm looking for. I'll check out that video and give it a go.

Thanks all. Lots of fried boxy recipes here which I'm sure are delicious but not what I'm looking for. I'll check out that video and give it a go.

I'm fascinated by that boiled boxy too. Definitely going to have to try it.

1percent wrote: »
    Here is my recipie, did it in a cafe when I owned one and always had great reviews
    Parts are by volume FYI
    2 parts cold mashed potato made with cream and butter
    1 part good quality plain flour, odlums now in my home kitchen
    Finly sliced spring onions
    Salt pepper
    A small splash of milk or butter milk if the flour isnt incorporating fully

Mix everything in a big bowl well
    Put a golf ball size scoop on square of parchment 7cm x 7cm and place another square on top.
    Press down until approx 8mm thick
    Stack in a lunch box and can be frozen.
    I throw them on the george forman with the parchment still on giving them a 60' turn after 5 min to get a nice charred hatch.
    Peel off the parchment and drop a couple of poached eggs on top and serve with a few slices of black puddin'. not Clon, that stuff is muck with marketing

Sounds right up my street, I'm not sure it would qualify as boxy, but I'm far from an expert.

I'm fascinated by that boiled boxy too. Definitely going to have to try it.

Me three, never even knew it was a thing before this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I've been following Crafts of Ireland on Facebook and they make all sorts of traditional recipes, Boiled Boxty being one of them. They're based in Cavan. Video link is here https://fb.watch/3sZ3Xl74ri/

Ingredients
    Equal quantities boiled and raw potatoes
    Plain flour
    Salt and pepper
    Pot of boiling water

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Don't forget

"Boxty on the griddle, boxty in the pan, if you can’t make boxty, you’ll never get your man!”

;)

con747 wrote: »

I finally got a few minutes undistracted and sat down with this video, not as complicated as I thought. Definitely going to make it and will report back.

Any tips on the best kind of potato to use?

• Advertisement

pigtail33 wrote: »
    I've been following Crafts of Ireland on Facebook and they make all sorts of traditional recipes, Boiled Boxty being one of them. They're based in Cavan. Video link is here https://fb.watch/3sZ3Xl74ri/

Ingredients
    Equal quantities boiled and raw potatoes
    Plain flour
    Salt and pepper
    Pot of boiling water

I see from now having watched this that the recommended spuds are Kerr's pinks or failing that, roosters. Neither are too difficult to find where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,132 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

My sister used to do boxty dumplings in her food trailer.
    She used to use roosters for everything.
    I can ask her for her recipe if the one online doesnt work out for you.
    She would cook them and then just give it a quick colour on the flat top.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Sounds right up my street, I'm not sure it would qualify as boxy, but I'm far from an expert.

I feel this is far more similar to potato cake really, but again only my experience.. Any form of boxty I've had contains at least half raw potato whereas potato cake is always all mash..
    I sense some lively debate incoming!. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,132 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Nearly every county in the west and north west have their own type of boxty. The only hard and fast rule is that potatoes are involved!

I've me dumplings made.

Do I really need to wait till tomorrow to slice and fry? Dunno if I can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Masala

I've me dumplings made.

Do I really need to wait till tomorrow to slice and fry? Dunno if I can do it!

Timing wise... how long to make them ready for fridge.
    Also how many dumpling did you make.

Finally ... what time you putting them on ?? I’ll be around 10 minutes before that. Feck the €500 fine

Masala wrote: »
    Timing wise... how long to make them ready for fridge.
    Also how many dumpling did you make.

Finally ... what time you putting them on ?? I’ll be around 10 minutes before that. Feck the €500 fine

:pac:

I don't know long it takes to make them ready for the fridge, that's what I'm asking!

IMG-20210206-175220-448.jpg

IMG-20210206-175220-529.jpg

IMG-20210206-175220-539.jpg

IMG-20210206-175220-575.jpg

IMG-20210206-175220-578.jpg

IMG-20210206-175220-582.jpg

IMG-20210206-175220-586.jpg

IMG-20210206-110530691.jpg

IMG-20210206-175220-592.jpg

IMG-20210206-175220-601.jpg

This was quite an involved process but I really enjoyed it. Also in an odd way I felt quite connected to my Irish roots. The potato is such a versatile and nutritious food and such an important part of our history and culture... Anyway I digress from cooking.

I couldn't wait overnight, so I took the dumpling that had split in two in the pot and, once cold, fried it up. It was delicious.

I delivered the other dumplings to some very surprised and happy cocooning relatives. All round a lovely, rewarding experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭sporina

gozunda wrote: »
    Don't forget

"Boxty on the griddle, boxty in the pan, if you can’t make boxty, you’ll never get your man!”

;)

OMG - almost in tears of nostalgia here...

My Mum use to sing that all the time lol.. she use to make it back in the day.. twas v popular when I am from.. jaysus you would work like a dog after a feed of it i tell ya lol.. but wouldn't actually be a lover of the taste or texture of it.. we ate what we were given and it was good fuel lol...

I never actually made it myself (much to my mum's disappointment).. but think she use to make it mostly from raw spuds.. grated them and strained them in muslin cloth... the result was a kind of dough.. (maybe some milk/egg was added - can't rem).. then it was sliced and fried on the pan.. man it brings me back.. i'd love some now just to make me feel closer to home.. bloody virus - not been home since last Sept..

let us know how you get on with making it OP..

Advertisement